Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Part Two

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Today I named the Elco.. 'Patches' - Patches, The Work Horse! I think it's the most fitting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eeessh.. that was ugly & haunting me! Gas welding is becoming less of a mystery, to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rain for the next three days.. So I finished up the metal work

[​IMG]

3. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

looking good...like the color choice!

4. Thanks, an yeah.. I see that! Nice wagon

5. damnit, now I really miss my elco. It's getting to be a toss-up on which one gets worked on next. The '59 has come a long way quickly and it looks great.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Decisions, decisons.. and thanks! It's good to hear from you

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

It's coming along nicely Jay. I love to read where guys pick the smallest shit apart (not Toner, but several above that aren't joking).........By the way, I sure appreciated your PM you sent me. It sure helped.....

TONE......................Have you started on yours yet?. I've only seen pictures of it at your home with all of the parts unloaded. It looks better at your home than that hot assed day over at my storage building..Mike

8. Thanks, Mike! All I can do is stay humble.. There's always going to be keyboard gangsters. Anyways, I look forward to getting the glass in this thing. I like that the tinted ez-eye, will bring the green out, when looking at it from outside. Your avatar is the perfect example, of what I'm talking about. Good hearing from you. Happy Holidays, too!

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

The tint will really make it 'pop'. It will also make it look richer........Happy Holidays to you as well........Mike

10. Toner283

Toner283

Hey Mike, No I have not started on it yet, still collecting parts though. I have been working on my tudor trying to get it into running driveable shape before I tear the camino even further apart than it already is. The only real work that I have done to the elky is to swap the good frame under it and leave the rusty one sitting outside.

Now that my daughter is getting a little older I can actually work on a car while she plays outside & does her own thing. so I am getting more done now than I have for the last couple of years too. I do definitely fell a bit left out with Jay & Nads building elky's and Cody building his wagon but at least it gives me inspiration for mine. Fear not, I will start a build thread when I get started on the old girl.

Sorry for the thread hijack Jay. :eek:

11. Hijack is necessary, sometimes!

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Its comming together jj , I dont know if someone already asked but what are your plans for the interior ?

13. The majority of the seat, door panels and dash & interior mldgs will be the green on the test sheet. The top of the seat, door panels & "C" shape on the door panels will be the dark green. The material swatch above the seat drawing is the material for the headliner. The lower piece of the material will be there for the lower back and seat bottom.. with GREEN carpet! Hahaha.. if that ain't a fuckin' mouthful

[​IMG]

I had the dash/mldg paint matched to the material swatch

14. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Sounds awsome, I can't wait to see it finished .

15. I feel the same way, about your wagon :D

I'm sanding the drivers door.. So I came in to grab the doors belt line molding, so I could check the fit! Hot damn, if I can't find it. Looks like I'm gonna have to find another one. Here's the psngr side mlgd I'm talking about

[​IMG]

16. As we speak I'm supposed to be looking for all the window mldg clips, frt & rear! Need to see what I do and don't have, so I can the front and back glass in.

I had to re-do the rockers.. I am really happy with the results! The filler's very thin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I am finally off to get more t-shirts & sweatshirts made.. I have the 55 all designed up, to replace the original T-roadster design.

[​IMG]

17. Replacement molding.. needs sanded & polished

[​IMG]

I hope I run into the molding I've misplaced.. Anyways, I was given a bucket of 59 Elco hardware, from the guy who had sold me a nice 59 core support, t/gate, fender, moldings etc.. An in this container, was a jar of clips! They're so nice, I hate to think how cherry the donor Elco was, before being parted out & scrapped!

Most of my original clips are toast

[​IMG]

18. Man, I'm glad I found your new thread! The Elco is looking great!

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Gawdamighty, those early El Camino are sexy beasts, aren't they? I was in a small town in North Texas the other day and saw 2, yes 2, 1960 El Caminos in a little lot, side by side, one up on barrels or something. I got out of there before I got weak and inquired about their sale status.

20. Thank you and welcome back! It's a great big party, over here! Hahaha

I know that feeling.. Well! 60 El Caminos are very cool. A friend had a 59 El Camino, years ago. Which made me want a 60 Elco! There was a black 60 Elco, that had used all the Impala trim. Wasn't the ugliest thing I've ever seen!

21. The door, rocker & quarter are nearly done.. I'd like to wrap it all up, tomorrow! Once I block it out, I should be in the game

[​IMG]

22. Filing the high spots on the top of the door, where I had to weld up the 'truck' mirror holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blocked that whole work area..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

looking good, I just finished what I hope is the final filling on my quarters, they look great, I gotta squirt on some high build and one more blocking oughta do it, but you know how it is. The weather's kinda iffy to spray tonight.

24. That's good news.. Weather here is rainy cloudy.. Sucks!

25. Thanks.. This 'could' be an exciting, part two! But I doubt it Hahaha

26. NAPA 68

NAPA 68

Your door gaps look to be right on.

Nice job!

Tim

27. Thanks, I'm getting close to finishing up that whole area. Then it's on with the "To Do list"

28. I will be able to look at the two threads on your project as a roadmap to mine once I get started on it!!

29. I look forward to seeing the 59's thread. I've been thinking about tonneau covers lately, too. I stole a picture off ebay, on some guys set up. Now that I have a TIG welder, I'm one step closer to making one

[​IMG]