Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 'Vette front suspension on 50 Styline Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JVK54, Jul 5, 2015.

1. JVK54

JVK54

Anyone have experience with running a 57 Vette front end on a 49-54 Chevy? Is it a direct swap , or are mods needed. Yeah, I'm scouring the internet too …and headed to the garage with a tape measure. But experienced advise always appriciated-Thanks!

2. Same suspension should be a bolt on. They used the old king pin suspension on the Vettes into the '60s.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

To the OP: It's the same suspension so it will be a big waste of time .
    To Pork: I always wondered why Chevrolet continued to use that King Pin setup on Vettes till 62. In 1955, Chevrolet drop the King Pin Suspension for the new Ball Joint type for their cars.

4. @jcmarz this is second hand info at bets and probably way more than that so take it with a grain of salt. I was told that the engineers thought that it was a better suspension, tried and proven. The new independent was, well new?

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

was the 62 Vette the last car to be built with kingpin suspension?

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The center pivot ass'y was a lot heavier in a Corvette, so that MIGHT be an improvement if it would fit & clear your engine.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Corvette, Yes.

Pat

8. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

the spindle is a different height ,every thing else is the same

9. I'd rather have a king pin/upright setup than a ball joint set up.

10. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

I put one out of 1961 Vett. in my 1950 Chevy. Direct bolt in and lowered front end about 1 inch.. The only big diffenence was the third arm. The arm is longer and stronger and will take some miss match of both ( 50 and 61) drag links parts. To me the car drives better on the hiway. It will not turn as sharp. The brakes are a upgrade as they are the Bendix brakes. I have a 1957 Chevy rearend so i was rid of the old Huck brakes.

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

didn't fat man used to have an upgrade for those?

12. 270ci

270ci

Saw a very nice 54 Chevy at a car show a couple years ago. Guy had a fine hand painted poster board listing all the car's cool features in front of it. Third item was "Corvette front suspension"!
    Having two 54's myself, I peeked under to have a look.....it was BONE STOCK.
    I looked over at the owner sitting there watching me....he just winked and.we had a bit of a chuckle.

13. 270ci

270ci

Yes, I used FatMan's fabricated "lowered" upright to bring my front end down a couple inches. Nice parts....no issues.