Register now to get rid of these ads!

57-60 f100 panel truck tailight lenses. unobtanium??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THAT MONSTER KID, Feb 14, 2012.

1. guys im having a hard time locating a set of wrap around tail light lenses for a 58 ford panel truck we picked up last year. ive tried google and ebay with no luck also mac's and dennis carpenter. can anyone help me out or know of a source before i have to go an alternate route. original part number is trst-57a.

2. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

It only took 4yrs to find the ones I have. Decent shape. I've asked large lens dealers at swaps, the answer is "oh those are rare".

They pop up occasionally on ebay and here. They usually go for a good penny.

Best of luck.

3. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I've seen the housings never a lens for sale since I've owned mine. Mine are ok but I always look.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

One could make some good bucks for re-pops of these! The 3rd brake light/license light lens is readily available, but those corner jobs are rare beasts!

5. Aren't they the same as '41 Ford car? I know '48-'56 panel trucks used '41 car taillights, can't remember if the '57-'60 did or if they had something else.

6. hershambob

hershambob

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

57-60 panel brake lights. Actually in a pinch you could make a set out of red plex. They are just a curved 90*.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Nice gas cap! I would have someone with one check into re-popping the lenses. If this person would advertise these, he or she could get as many made as people are interested, and more. (No, I have a 57 F-100, but not a Cigar truck (57 Panel bus), so I can't help much. Might check with some of the re-poppers out there for tailight lenses and see if they could help in getting them made.

10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Those where just some samples off the net of the taillight in question.

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Yes they are rare. I know a guy that is hoarding 2 pairs of NOS lights and bezels. I have tried to buy but he knows what they are worth and several guys have been after him to sell. One guy told him to throw him a number that it would take to sell. If you just need the lenses I suggest trying to make your own or find a plastic molder to make some.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. cjmac

cjmac

easy 1959 !

13. i had a feeling they were as rare as id thought, making them out of plexi wouldnt cut it as i need the refractors in the lens to pass a roadworthy, im already starting to look into alternatives but hoping something turns up in the mean time. any other leads or follow ups would be greatly appreciated.

14. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Busted! haha

15. cjmac

cjmac

Here are a few shots of my NOS tail lights on our 58 f100. I bought them about 5 years ago off of ebay. Haven't seen much since. The before had two glass lenses taped together to serve the purpose.

Attached Files:

16. my dad eventually made a set out of a 70's australian sedan tailight lense it'll do til something shows up.

17. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Saw a possible solution on the TV show American Chopper. Rick was forming tail lights with a heat gun. Although the curves were not as extreme as your panels light it is a possible low cost solution. Find a flat lens that fits the bezel and get a heat gun and go to work.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I found a guy that does plastic molding. He tells me that he can cast re-pops of tailight lenses. Now if he only could get a good set of lenses to model after. Any volunteers?

19. For some reason valiant wagon lights keep coming into my head ,ap5 or 6 maybe .Probaby nothing like what you need but Im sure there is something around that may work.

20. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Has anyone came up with a solution yet. Just starting on my 57 panel, and I would like to run the stock lenses. The left side of my panel was sideswiped by a semi. I have a relacement quarter, but it has no housing. The right side lens is gone.

21. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

No reply's, so I thought I would bump it with a picture of my rough panel.

[​IMG]

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Dale McSHANE down here here repops taillight lenses from a good original. He made new ones for my '35 Chev with amber bottoms and a new hood insert for my '46 Olds. Works from home, drop him an e-mail. [email protected]

Attached Files:

23. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Thanks for the replys. The lens on Ebay is for the middle door. Those are fairly easy to get. I do have a fair right side lens, but it would be hard to make a left from a right side pattern. However, I think I have a lead on a pair of lights that were removed from a customized panel.

24. wonder how those Stude station wagon lenses would work (1963-1965)...since I have a few.....just sayin'

25. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I just left a message with a fellow that mght have a descent driver side. I'll let you know if he has it.

26. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Thanks again for the replys. I hope the original poster sees this as well. I've looked at the Stude lights and wondered as well.

27. salf100

salf100

On the cheap you can use the fluresent shop light plastic sheet. It has the pyrimid points on one side, flat on the other. Paint the flat side red, cover that with plex and done. Im sure you could use a heat gun to shape it. Just a thought.

28. yep im watching, as i stated earlier we fabricated a set to fit the housing using lenses from a 70's ford sedan here in Australia but always keen for another option or a shot at an original set.