Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chuck Jordan's 5 Greatest Hits...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Too bad a single vision can't drive design like that anymore.

3. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Tough to choose which one is his best in my opinion. If you think of fame, you almost can't beat the '59 Cadillac. It is the icon of finned 50's cars. It's not my favorite though. I have read that the '58 Corvette was his design; also a classic design, though I prefer the '63-67's. Hmmm... much less popular, but nonetheless a very good design is the '67 Cadillac Eldorado. Perhaps it's just me, but this design language is very much still representative of the current Cadillac design language. Faceted, creased planes, bold proportions. OK, then I'll go with the '67 Eldorado as my favorite of his for it's lasting impact on Cadillac design.

4. autobilly

autobilly

I've always dug the '59 Caddy, ever since I was a child. As you pointed out (Jay), the "pinnacle of late 50s American design excess" was mostly down to Harley Earl (the King IMO). For me the straight line and sharp angular designs that followed were never as beautiful.

5. rixrex

rixrex

Back when styling was done with pencil, paper and imagination, gas prices be hanged..not a wind tunnel and an eye towards fuel consumtion

6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

1956 Centurion Concept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Seems I remember one of Chuck's drawings was of a 49-52 Chevy-turned-El Camino....maybe the first Ute rendering....been years since I saw it, so I forget where. Anyway I recall it mentioned as likely being the inspiration the El Camino.
    Great designer, not well liked by some within GM, but very talented. :cool:

8. That was in a Rod & Custom article a few years back.

9. oldthudman

oldthudman

There were a lot of great designs out of GM in those days (50's & 60's)..........

Ran across the GM Stiletto the other day..........sleek

The prototype to the El Dorado Brougham (Pininfrana) was call the XP-38......The main difference being the tail lights.......Not as flamboyant as the production car but attractive none the less........

Two others were the 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Dream Car, and the Cadillac El Camino..........Both 2 door coupes.....

:)

10. mgbtc

mgbtc

Being a huge Cadillac lover, the 1961 ElDorado Conv. is one of my personal favorites. Hope you saw the two 59 Cads at the SEMA show, they were great!

11. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great post, I really love the 61 Caddy coupe.

Attached Files:

12. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Pretty partial to the 61-62 caddy myself...

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I can tell you he was a very nice guy. In recent years he'd stop in at the San Diego Model Car Club meetings on occasion and talk about cars and design and show a slide show which always had terrific artwork, renderings, etc. of his designs. Being an executive, he had great speaking skills but was down to earth and very interesting. He always had a behind the scenes story about the production of any car he spoke of.
    He loved Ferrari's and from what I'm told, had several.

14. oldthudman

oldthudman

In high school (senior year) we had a group that hung together......We would go riding at lunch (had an hour and could leave campus in those days).......One of the guys drove his Uncle's Caddy ElDorado convertible(55)......We were so "cool"...at least we thought so:D.......

15. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

So, is it just me or does that Biscayne look like a future Corvair?

And the Centurion....what an awesome example of '50s GM concepts at their best...

16. thurman von junkshit esq

thurman von junkshit esq
    from mi

If you lop the front and rear fascias off the centurion, you'll see that it is Buick's Century for 57(another Jordan design, clearly watered down from the original). Jordan did design the 58 vette. His influence is felt and seen(and unfortunately is consistently overshadowed by Harley Earl's)even today, not just in General Motors products. While he may have gotten a fair deal of credit-he never got enough. If you ever get the chance(and not too many do)to get into the basement of Alfred P. Sloan museum in Flint Michigan, you'll see some of the concepts born under his administration that were simply junked at the time(and rehashed for later use) as well as some that came to fruition. I realize everyone's got their favs', but I don't have one. I can't. I love them all. But I agree with Tbomb428, those eldos(as well as the toronado) were BEYOND ahead of their time. Thanks for highlighting this REAL innovator....This man made the future happen....

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

The 61-62 Cadillac is a personal favorite.

18. mrbuick16

mrbuick16

Yes, Chuck was a great contributor to GM but don't forget Harley Earl who came to GM in 1927 and spent many years pushing the Buicks and Cadillacs (LaSalle, too) not to mention his avant-garde of the 40's hardtop convertibles. The first Corvette ws part of a joint inspiration, too.
    mrbuick16

19. scrubba

scrubba

Don't forget , the 1955-59 Chevrolet Apachie and 3000 series trucks were all from Mr. Jordans sketch pad ! scrubba

20. opfredet

opfredet
    from usa

Harley Earl understood the connection between outstanding automotive design and long-term financial success at GM. Many of the designs Jordan is lauded for, in this piece, obits and recent mag articles (like tailfins and penning the Cyclone concept car) were in fact Earl’s creations but even if Jordan had been the greatest artist of all time, by the time he took the reins, the GM bean counters had quietly staged a coup and taken control of this side of the business, completely de-emphasizing the role of automotive design played in car sales. This cost GM, the greatest company of all time in numbers and finance, their automotive monopoly and is eventually why this company went bankrupt in 2008/2009.
    Regards,
    Richard Earl
    [email protected]

21. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Welcome Richard,
    You had one amazing grand father. I will check out your site. Thanks. Slim