Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 Buick 322

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Light Sweet Crude, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Light Sweet Crude

Light Sweet Crude

Hello, I have a 56 Buick Special with the original 322, I rebuilt the fuel and cooling system put in electronic ignition and dropped the trans pan and made a new pickup screen. The car runs very well (be driving for 5 years), starts right up and drives smooth. I went to change the oil yesterday and thought I would probe the oil pan with a toothbrush, I figure there's a half inch of sludge in the pan. Pulled of the valve covers and found a lot of sludge in there too, one side seems like it is getting more oil than the other side, in addition, the oil pressure has aways read (since I've had it) a little higher than normal too. My question is there anything I should be concerned with if I remove the rocker bars and soak/clean them? My concern is with the pushrods or valve adjustment if I remove the rocker bar.

Thanks
    Mike

2. If it has hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable rocker arms (no adjustment screw on the pushrod end) then there is no adjustment to be concerned with.

3. Light Sweet Crude

Light Sweet Crude

Thanks, they are hydraulic lifters and not adjustment on the top side

4. Light Sweet Crude

Light Sweet Crude

5. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

The good news is the engine runs great.

I would pull the rocker assemblies, pull them apart and clean them out, being sure they go back in the right order. Then vacuum the gunk out of the top of the heads. Oil comes to the rockers out of the forward most bolt hole, so be sure that area inside is clean.

Then pull the pan and clean that out, along with the oil pick-up. Change the oil frequently for the first few thousand, adding a half quart of ATF for the last hot run before the oil change. Use a zinc additive in your oil.

All that is nasty old oil residue and not enough oil-changes. Thank God for better oils these days.

Nailheads run higher oil pressure, with only a little oil going to the rocker assemblies. What you see is normal.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, doing a clean up would be good - do not use a engine flush because it just moves the sludge around and may cause more problems. at least be over aggressive with more oil changes.

7. belair

belair

Make sure the rockers go back like they came off. There may (or may not) be a certain order and/or a difference between intake and exhaust rockers. Anyway, I would definitely clean the shaft and rocker assembly real good. an the color of that sludge (if that is what the picture shows) makes me think oil and water, not just old black sludge.