Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Pontiac Oil Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FouledPlugsCC, Sep 2, 2014.

1. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

I have a 287 Pontiac on the stand. I bought the motor from a guy who said it had been recently rebuilt but was taken out and sat for a while. I pulled the valve covers and oil pan, cleaned it up. The cylinder walls looked great and everything else looked good. Put back together rebuilt carb started it up. I am only getting oil to the passenger side heads, dry on the drivers side. Any ideas? maybe some gunk blocking something? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

Any Suggestions?

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Look where the oil is fed on the other side and clean the other side passages. Gary

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

On 1964 and earlier Pontiacs, the top end was oiled through passages in the heads; 1965 and newer they passed the oil through the pushrods. This site has a picture of an early block showing one of the oil passages (the one with a tap stuck in it): http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/1305_18_engine_assembly_dos_and_donts/photo_13.html Make sure those ports are not plugged or clogged.

edit: the oil passes through those passages and then on through holes drilled in the center of the rocker arm studs. Make sure that 1) they didn't put the wrong style studs in that side without holes, and 2) pull the rockers and run a wire down the holes in the studs to see if they're clogged.

5. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

Thank you Stuart, good information!