Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55-64 Chevy transmission parts: where to buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

The 3rd gear synchros are gone in my '57 Chevrolet (original trans). I've been looking for a place to buy replacement parts but I haven't found any so far. It's actually an R10 overdrive but I've been told the gears and synchros are the same. From what I've found so far this is a somewhat common problem so I'm hoping there are sources for new parts.

Thanks

2. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Call, Garage Motorsports in Vancouver, Washington 360-735-0753. www.garagemotorsports.com
    Ask for Scott. They are great to deal with and have overdrive parts in stock. Regular non-o/d transmission should have same syncro kit. I got some stuff from them recently for a later full syncro unit. They cover all kinds of manual tranny's. Found them in an article recently in Hot Rod Deluxe. Reasonable Prices and Excellent Staff. Be sure to use 90 GL1 oil only in unit! Good Luck!

Torkwrench likes this.
  3. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Thank you for the reply. What is 90 GLi oil, or rather what is its significance? For my stock '31 Chevrolet I had to purchase a special gear oil from a local oil company that stocks it just for local hot rodders. It's been several years ago now but I remember it didn't contain an additive that newer gear oils do that would erode the internals, which I think were brass.

4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Exactly, same stuff as local hot rodders used except in its original plain wrapper. GL1 Hypoid is basically what slow moving differentials and trannys use like in old 8N and 9N ford tractors in all compartments. The newer GL oils have modern additives that slowly corrode the internals of the overdrive planetary. GL1 is Easily found in practically any Auto and Implement retail store. Basically its the same product as the oil for your 31 Chevy. GL1 is perfect for the slower moving planetary gears in the R10 tailhousing.

5. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Give Beaver Brook Transmissions a call 570-620-0130. There located on Pa........JT

6. I've seen lots of rebuild parts and used gear clusters for sale on eBay.