Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 cadillac hydromatic adaptor plate to more modern tranny?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mooman929, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mooman929

mooman929

hello. I just got my hydromatic rebuilt, put it in the car and my father in law is a mechanic, he was adjusting it. As I was sooo excited to take it for the first test drive the throttle control are got bound up and the shifter shaft snapped off. the only way to fix it is to tear the tranny out again. IM NOT DOING IT! im getting married in October and was planning on driving this car in our wedding. now its a huge setback. so my first question is where can I get an adapter plate for a more modern tranny and what else do I need to get the job done? btw theres is now a rebuilt hydromatic on the market. just needs a shaft put in. any takers? need advice ! thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. mooman929

mooman929

is the tansmission capable of coming out with the engine installed?

4. mooman929

mooman929

technically its called the throttle pressure shaft. it sticks out the side of the trans that the throttle pressure linkage hooks to

5. How do you plan to swap out a newer trans with an adapter without tearing out the old trans?? It has to come out either way. Just pull it out and fix it. Shit happens

6. mooman929

mooman929

well if I plan to fix it the part is called the " inner throttle control shaft" the splined end that sticks out broke off. I know I have to pull the tranny but wanted to swap it because I doubt ill be able to find the part. does anyone know where to find one?

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

You don't need to pull the transmission. In your apparent excitement to get it running, You failed to thoroughly check out and affirm that the gear selector, throttle linkage and the requisite bellcranks to the transmission were installed correctly. Most importantly that can be dangerous as the carburetor is tied up in that mechanism. If it had bound up on the road you may have become a battering ram with a stuck throttle.
    The damage you have done to the throttle shaft which protrudes concentrically from the gear selector shaft is wholly accessible from the side pan on Hydromatics. The entire valve body, gear select mechanism and throttle valve mechanism can be removed and replaced without transmission removal.
    Repair is simple, take the side pan off, determine the extent of the damage, is it just the gear selector shaft or was throttle shaft also damaged as well. Then get on the phone to Northwest Transmission in Ohio, They have a couple guys that work on Hydromatics exclusively. They will have whatever parts you'll need. Don't forget to get a new side pan gasket. This is a simple fix that any mechanic can do. You have no need to "future trip" on needing to do a tranny swap and all those inherent problems. I've been there and done that.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

8. mooman929

mooman929

thank you!!! as long as I can get the part that makes me feel a lot better!

9. mooman929

mooman929

here is the broken shaft

Attached Files:

10. mooman929

mooman929

Telekenfun

i got ahold of Northwest transmission parts this morning and thjey do indeed have the inner throttle control shaft o-rings and pan gasket! only a 40 dollar fix! you were also right about not having to remove the tranny to fix it! thank you again for this info it took alot of stress off me. i should be getting the shaft this week as long as everything goes right i highly recommend northwest and the HAMB! thanks again!

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You should be happy that you have a hydramatic in the 53! That was the year of the hydramatic fire, and for a few months 53 Caddys and Oldsmobiles got a slushbox known as DYNAFLOW. Just make sure that your linkage is not binding when you put it back together.

12. BJR

BJR

Do you know why it broke in the first place, so the new one doesn't break also?

13. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406656813.488378.jpg

If you get to a point you still want a modern Trans for your early Caddy...... We offer the best on the market.... 350/400 turbo as well as 700R4 when needing an overdrive ...., no modifications or hacking of the car to install....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!