Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Studebaker business coupe to South East Gasser rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This one is from the front bottom of the car (passenger side ) looking back. studebaker 002.JPG

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The rear passenger side and door jam. studebaker 006.JPG

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

From the front outside looking back. there is another sheet metal piece that bolts over this, I may have to make it also, the ones we have are bad rusty. studebaker 018.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

no1nitrofreak this one won't make the Greer race April 25th but should be out by mid season.

no1nitrofreak and AHotRod like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What do you use to preload the front springs before you attach your spring mounts.

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I take all of the leafs out except the main one. Then it takes very little effort to hold it down to where the arc should be. Then measure to where the chassis height and spring mounts need to be off the jig or floor. Then when finished just keep adding leafs until it gets to the height you want it. This way also makes it easy to get the right angle for the shackle because it's where it will be when at ride height. You will notice some leafs missing in the pic I posted. We had it setting where it's going to set with just a empty block. As we add parts we add leafs LOL.

AHotRod likes this.
  7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thank you for the pics.
    Marcus...

8. More questions on the leafs :) Why shackle in front vs shackle in back? Is one better?

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The theory is that if both front and rear shackles are positioned the same(both to the back) the ride is better. The axles both move the same direction as it moves. I never noticed any difference. I do know that the steering should be on the fixed side...at least that is what everyone says. It has less chance of moving the shackle.

Auto manufacturers have done them both ways.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Sorry Quain...I thought this was Tonys thread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. I appreciate the response either way :D It makes sense.

volvobrynk and II FUNNY like this.
  12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's Ok good answer anyway. There is another reason also. If cross steer it don't matter, but if traditional (front to back) steering the solid mount needs to be at the back so that the axle moves forward to back with the drag link if the angles are like they should be. That way less involuntary steering. It's call bump steer on control arm cars but on straight axle cars it turns both wheels the same. If I could draw a pic on here I could explain it better. It's such a small amount it don't matter anyway, I have my Willys wrong.

AHotRod and bigjohndsl like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I guess with the front tires off the ground it don't make any difference.

bigjohndsl likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

But it Might do comming down, then "how much" matters!

Quain Stott likes this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Right volvobrynk, coming back down is the problem. On pro mod cars we check bump steer with a dial indicate. The reason is sometimes they are way over 150 MPH when the wheels touch back down, the wheels better be straight. Gassers handle so bad you never notice LOL.

AHotRod, Dog_Patch, II FUNNY and 2 others like this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Quain,
    What have you found to be the desired Caster on these types of front axle setups?
    Glenn

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

8 to 9 is the hot spot for racing, I would stay around 5 to 6 for a daily driver.

plumbid likes this.
  18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's a few pics of the owner David Walker, he came by to make sure everything is where it needs to be. studebaker 003.JPG

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Donovan and I checking for the right spot for the old school head rest. David still has his old helmet from his road racing days. studebaker 004.JPG

volvobrynk, Dog_Patch and AHotRod like this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

David looks right at home. Checking for gas petal position here. studebaker 007.JPG

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

After measuring David for throttle position we made the linkage to the carb. Real simple just aluminum tuning threaded for #10 rod ends with bushings for the big hole in the carb. Of course the valve covers and not era correct distributor will have to go to be South East Gasser legal. studebaker 002.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Is this going to be a Single-4 barrel Race engine ???
    Glenn

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Just to start with Glenn then I'm sure it will get the works after David gets a few runs under his belt. The last time David drove an ill handling gasser was in the mid 60s.

volvobrynk, no1nitrofreak and AHotRod like this.
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Wheelie bars to day and this is in real time we did them today. We make the rear wheel bracket to look old school like the mid 60s just an old caster wheel welded to a leaf spring so we give it the caster look. Nothing looks more out of place on an old school gasser than a modern wheelie bar that looks like it came from a mail order catalog. IMG_6314.jpg IMG_6681.jpg

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The bottom plate is made of 6061 1/4 aluminum plate. We put a slight roll in it to give it the leaf spring look. Here's Donovan milling the slot for the top bar bracket to come through. No one sales a wheelie bar with the old school look that I know of, that's what makes them cool they have to be made just like the old days. IMG_4965.jpg IMG_4277.jpg

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The wheel bracket bolted to the plate. Here you can see how the bracket comes through for the top bar. IMG_8794.jpg

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now for the front lower bracket these have to be custom made for the car everyone is different. IMG_8218.jpg

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Front bracket bolted on the plate. We will make the top bars and get them mounted tomorrow. IMG_5313.jpg

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Attention to details like this is what makes your cars SO cool.
    Well done.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Cars looking really good Quain. Perfect timing on the wheelie bars that's on my list of things to Finnish up this weekend. Really like the look of your bars so I'm building mine really similar to them. Thanks for the details on them.

Quain Stott likes this.