Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Shoebox fender alignment

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dannyboy51, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dannyboy51

Dannyboy51

My drivers side fender is sitting about an inch and a quarter lower than the passenger side. After some investigation I found some evidence of an old repair from crash on that side. Frame looks pretty straight but it appears the inner fender well is pushed down. Any advice on correcting this without having to take it to a pro? It appears that the whole structure just floats except the connection to o the radiator. If I disconnect the lower side the radiator sits straight. As soon as I bolt it back together it pulls the radiator and you can see the spring bolt under the radiator bent towards the affected side. I've tried jacking it back up into place but it always seems to spring back. Any help is appreciated. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439595140.564467.jpg

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

To start , I would make sure the radiator support "horseshoe" is square, or else the whole works will be wonky.

3. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

The rear trailing edge is bolted to the inner shirt that is bolted to the fire wall I believe the hinge is an obstruction to adjustment not a lot to play with for vertical adjustment my guess the lower fender repair is out of place lot of guys make the mistake of welding on the bench. It goes on the car ALWAYS. Nice 51 good luck!! Baron Von Vasnic

4. Shoebox fronts like most old cars are not swiss watches. Some are better than others. I did some fussing to get mine to fit half decent and i've been in auto body for over 40 yrs. Good luck.

5. U-235

U-235

Great......I plan on pulling the nose off my 51 this spring for some chassis and engine upgrades and will replace both front fenders and baffles at the same time ....and now you tell me I'm going to have problems with alignment.

6. I've been messing with mine off and on for more than a year and they're still not right. Probably never will be.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Yours looks just fine-most do at 20 feet.Keep that in mind;)

8. I find...hood gap to cowl first.....fenders to doors, as long as the doors gap at 1/4s are decent.....leave inner fenders loose. front latch tie bar....hope it is center to the rad cradle to frame....shim as required