Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 merc---Jersey custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VanHorton, Sep 14, 2008.

1. VanHorton

VanHorton

2. Grunion

Grunion

roof looks odd in those pics

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Manny Bastio of Clark NJ.

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

5. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Looks Sweet but, I've never seen it before in the Garden State

6. teddyp

teddyp

was frist built at les cove body shop for jimmy nolan in hillside nj he and manny were good friends and when it was for sale manny got it and updated the car on a olds frame and finish the whole car bj miller in linden also did a lot of work on it this car was never finished till manny did in the late 80,s but most of the work was done in the 50,s by les and it,s one of afew chop and sectioned 4 dr merc,s

7. Been on eBay a bunch over the last year or so.

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I think there's another HAMBer that did some of the work on it...

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Teddyp got most of it right. I would just like to add that ALL the work is not in lead. A lot of it is, the first Les cove did his work with hammerwelding and lead to finish. Les Jr. also had a hand in it, welding, but with plastic filler to finish. I restyled the front end for Manny, when I worked for him, frenched the headlights, made the grill surround, put on shortened Pontiac split bumpers. Manny built the grill himself.
    It was a shame to put the subframe, and late modle Olds in the car, but Manny wanted to drive it a LOT. The Merc was a 16,000 mile beauty when Cove started on it in 57. The flatty was mildly hopped up. The car never left Cove's shop, til it was garaged by Nolan's brother, so when Manny bought it, it still was a 16,000 mile Merc!
    Great NJ history car, can't believe it's not appreciated.
    The only "problem" with the car is that it was built to be a show car, and they rolled the tops of the doors, no windows. I looked into possible installing them for Manny, but with the hardtop treatment, and the suicide rear doors, and center post, it would have been a bit difficult to get them to work, and seal correctly. So it was decided to leave the car without side glass, as Cove and Nolan originally intended. It was being built to be a show car, not a driver.

Cool side note.........alongside this car, in Nolan's garage, was a 39 (?) Ford that was also a real cool custom. Black, chopped, Carson style top, 39 buick grill, and early Caddillac powered! Manny got this car out, for Donn Lowe, who freshened it up, and sold to to a guy named Creighton. What a gorgeous car that was! I had pics of it at one of the Leadsleds, in Holland MI, just after Donny finished it.

10. DBAG

DBAG

For you Jersey guys..if you get pulled over in your rod, a cop recently bought my buddy's '50 coupe. Try asking how it's running or if they seen it. You may just get a break! haha

11. VanHorton

VanHorton

cool info guys thanks... I think its a pretty cool car, its got some cool history and its a nice custom as well. Whats even better is that its from jersey haha :D

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The pictures honestly don't do this car justice. It's a real knock out in person, and one of the VERY few good looking sectioned Mercs in my book

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Possibly the only. It actually adds to the look of the car and the lines rather than just being sectioned if that makes sense. It does suck that the car isn't getting the attention it deserves, but it is also being advertised wrong. This car is/was a milestone IMO especially on the East Coast.

14. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I've still never seen it in person, though I've heard about it for years. Way interesting stories here.

15. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

i never seen it either, wish i did, hope it stays local and i get to some day