Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Henderson Fifty One (removable HT shoebox)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eric H, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Well, the cold is here. Getting this passenger side welded right now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Tried two different gill options today as possible alternatives to the 51 kaiser.

3. Eric H

Eric H

The 56 dodge hood ornament.

Attached Files:

4. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Merc grill shell looks great! Maybe a thicker grill though?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

My vote....the other is too small. Just look at the mess Street Rodder did with their Shoebox grille.

6. daddio211

daddio211

7. Eric H

Eric H

Ya, I love the shape and detail of the dodge manta ray but it needs to grow about 30%.

8. 51 Kaiser please.
    The rounded hood corner looks good too, its surprising how small mods can really change the look of a car.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Eric, My 2 cents, you got the big cavity now you gotta fill it. By the way the Merc went to an excellent home. Larry

10. Just found this thread. Really nice job on the grille shell, especially with you working in the driveway outside! I would love to have the talent and skills to do body work like that. I have zero and have to find someone to do just about anything on my '51. I'm pretty much limited to bolt on's and paint.
    On that '51 that Street Rodder did....if you had to farm out the things they did, that car would cost more than 100 grand! On top of that it still missed the boat in several areas, especially on the grill, you can still see so much of the radiator and fans behind it you miss seeing the tiny chrome bar.
    I will try installing a 54 Chevy with extra teeth in mine this winter, so I will have a perfect original '51 grill to sell to help pay for the Chevy replacement. I know that the '54 Chevy swap is as common as dirt, but it won't require any body work.
    I really like the skirts you modified, I agree that the 3 rib skirts don't work at all and the cutdown Merc skirts can look a little big sometimes.
    Do you leave the car out in the winter weather? Anyway keep up the good work and posting updates.

11. Kaiser is my vote too.

12. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Great build!

I have a question on your paint as I'm looking at doing an 'in-between' paint job as well.

Did you bother to strip or blast the car or did you just scuff it and spray? Also did you prime and then use a single shot satin black or is the black actually just primer? Finally, what is your plan when you are ready for final paint? Strip it back to bare metal or just go over what you have now?

Thanks!

13. Eric H

Eric H

I was really just a scuff and spray with a single stage paint right over some epoxy primer. It was just to get it on the road but turned out really well. The final paint job is so far in the future that I have not payed it much attention. How well things hold up over the next year will probably dictate what approach we take.

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks fantastic.

I'm glad you decided to do some clean custom work on this one.

Glad to see you have a good eye and are just improving on the design too.. not just customizing for the sake of customizing.

Can't wait to see it finished

15. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks for the kind words. I agree that there is a lot of rad showing on that street rodder box that could have been concealed with a better grill choice. I would like to do a spin on the Panoramic ford grill starting with a 53 chev bar and teeth. (That I don't have) The car spends all its down time in the garage and has not been wet in years lol. I have tested its road racing abilities a few times trying to stay ahead of storm systems. She is no trailer queen but I like to keep her dry.

16. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks, I have always loved the simple ones.

17. Eric H

Eric H

That's great Larry. Is the new owner on here? It went to Cali right?

18. BRENT

BRENT

Hey Eric as your "Official sexy bearded grill model" I have to lean toward the over-rider than the "Manta ray" lol. Although the angle of the pics doesn't really give it a fair crack either to be honest. If you had slightly more of a top view of the manta it actually followed your hood and Merc surround due to its "V" shape. which the pic doesn't capture that well.

If you ask me the pic is taken at funny angle where its actually taken below then above if that makes sense? Knock another 1.5"-2" out of the front suspension and things start to get lower including a persons perspective of the grill also which would be more of a top view, things to consider I guess.

Either way, no matter which way you choose whether 53 Chevy or over-rider or Manta ray.... lol they all look tasteful and fresh, and that's what counts, IMHO

Brent AKA..."Official sexy bearded grill model"

19. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Eric, Actually it went up to Sudbury to an older guy, it already has a new interior, reworked front supension, crate ZZ-4 engine with 700-4. He is very happy with it. Larry

20. Eric H

Eric H

Well I finally wrapped up the welding on this side. I wound up taking a small pie cut out of the bottom 3" of the fender lip so that it would line up with the splash pan perfectly. I am really happy with how the rounded hood corners turned out and look. This job has been a slow process but overall I think it has been a good experience. Next job will be the Lincoln push buttons and rounded door corners.

Attached Files:

21. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg In primer.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  22. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Little details coming out well.

23. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Kaiser grill brackets almost finished.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good again!

25. That Kaiser grille works nicely with the peak in the hood. It's all coming together really well.

26. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks guys.

27. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Well I moved to my new house and all my cars and parts went to my friend and fellow HAMB member BRENT's Dad's place while I got settled in. The vert started having some carb issues just before moving day that should be resolved soon and then she comes home. I am currently sitting in the hospital waiting for the arrival of my first Son. I am sure this will make progress more difficult to achieve but I am very determined to carry on.

28. Here's hoping for a safe and healthy delivery! Good luck to all involved.

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Congratulations on the baby! Mine sure has changed my life for the better!

30. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks guys. He is being born right here in Henry Fords hospital. The first thing to due at home is to C notch the frame instead of riding around on the bump stops, lol.