Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy power brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PR51, Oct 19, 2010.

1. PR51

PR51

new guy here...
    will be finished paying off our 51 chevy soon and pick it up in December... one of the first things i want to do is a brake conversion.
    Any help for a beginner here?
    where to go?
    best options? etc...
    thanks,
    Larry

2. 73super

73super

'51 Chev brakes are great! Parts are plentiful. I've switch my '49 over to '51 because you can actually get brake parts.

If it's a stocker (mine isn't).. your brake system is more than adequate.

If you really want to upgrade to a disc system there are various companies that have bolt on kits. Chassis engineering being one. Do a search on this website or a google search for 49-52 brake conversion.

Good luck.

3. PR51

PR51

thnx...
    I've driven it and it isn't too bad but people out here drive crazy and I live in the city. All it takes is one girl on her cell phone cutting out in front of me and bam... jail time LOL
    I'll check out Chassis Engineering and do more searches.
    thnx again,
    ~ljb

4. PR51

PR51

Anyoneever use ECI Disc conversion kits? If so some feedback would be cool.
    thnx

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just put an ECI set up on my '50 Sedan Delivery. Works great. Drums were ok but I pull a trailer so I went with discs and hung a booster on the firewall. Hated to junk up the engine compartment but with a 401 Nailhead with 2-4's and a trailer behind it I figured I would need all the brakes I could get.

6. never had bad advise or a bad part from ECI. been dealing with Ralph and his guys for 20+ years they won't stear you wrong!

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Put an ECI front end kit on my 50....worked out great. You'll likely have to do a little grinding on the bracket, but I hear that's normal. This was my first build and it wasn't a big deal.

ALSO, consider getting a firewall mounted booster/MC/bracket combo from Walton Fabrication. Todd (the owner) is a great guy and a straight shooter. You can also get the bracket/pedal combo by itself, too. EXTREMELY happy with that one, too.

8. James Curl

James Curl

Buffalo Enterprises Phone (360) 652-7684 has disc brake kits that do not move the wheels outward. 37-54 Chevys only. They sell dropped spindles, lowering blocks, Saginaw steering kits and rear spring kits. They also sell an adapter to adapt a 235/261 to power glide,Turbo 350 & 400.

9. lucky53

lucky53

I'm in the middle of putting a disk brake kit from E.C.I. on my 54' Chevy.

So far So good...

Real happy with the products and service from E.C.I.

I wanted to keep the stock look. (No booster on the firewall.) E.C.I. sells a bracket to keep stock pedals and upgrade to a dual master cylinder while keeping everything in the stock location under the floorboard.

A bit of fabrication required...

Is anything really just "Bolt on"? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  10. PR51

PR51

Good Stuff... I really appreciate all the feed back and suggestions from everybody.
    Glad I found this sight.
    thnx

11. KOTC

KOTC

Scarebird makes excellent products and i believe they are also a hamb vendor

12. PR51

PR51

Thnx,
    yeah Gator sent me scarebirds websight but it doesn't look like they have my year... Under pic your make and model it starts Chevy off at 64-70smthing...
    thnkx though.