Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy headlight switch wiring diagram help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Dec 11, 2011.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ImageUploadedByTJJ1323657115.675139.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1323657305.038734.jpg ok ,so here is what I have . I'm rewireing my car with a painless 12 circuit kit and I'm at a stopping point. I have a diagram from my manual and my repop switch... Since I just tore out my old harness and really didn't look at the switch when pulled it from the dash I just noticed the difference. As you can see the top lugs are different.for the stop light and dome light.anybody have any suggestions on how to go about wiring or has anyone had this problem.I'm thinking this fuse was for the dome light. Because my dome light never worked and when I look at the fuse it was blown.thanks Matt

the dash

2. squirrel

squirrel

"to ammeter" is where you connect the red "power in" wire to the switch. Don't bother with the brake light thing, that was where the brake light and dome light got fused power, but now you have a fuse in the fuse box for that, so you don't need it. The top right connection is for the instrument lights (gray on the typical GM color code).

tail lights, parking lights, dimmer switch should be self explanatory

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Googled this for my 51 Chev coupe...

[​IMG]

4. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Thanks, the fuse makes sense now. Guess I had a brain fart. Plus this new blood pressure medication is making me a little slow.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

So you're updating the wiring, but still keeping the 51 light switch? You should probably update that also; with the 51, the "limited" fuse capability was ran through that switch. You're going to have to use a fuse panel with the new wiring anyway, so at least use a 55 or later light switch. You'll notice the 51 does'nt have a fuse panel, and only a couple of inline fuses (radio-heater); like I said, everything else runs through the light switch. It'll also make your job of rewiring things easier. Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I think he is just using the light switch as a light switch, so it should be fine. I like using the original stuff too, if I can.