Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 buick special "the Shane Asylum"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hacknwhack, Mar 11, 2014.

1. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thanks chuck.
    Did you ever get that parts car? I have long a shopping list for you.

2. LONG

LONG

very nice. man that thing is sleek! I know it would ruin those covers, but a bullet would look nice in them.

Rocksetter89 likes this.
  3. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thanks
    Thats a good idea but im trying to get it done without expanding the project any more.
    Side moldings, skirts rechroming ect are getting put off. Want it on the road in 4 weeks.

4. telekenfun

telekenfun

Shane, I want to compliment you on your build. The chop you accomplished turned out beautifully. It is especially impressive when considering all the disparaging parts it took to get the perfect shape. Your body prep and paint work is outstanding.
    We have a 49 Sedanette that is stock bodywise but thoroughly modernized drivetrain. I mention this because until I did so the car wasn't much fun to drive in modern day traffic. In fact it was sometimes down right frightening! After the upgrades it is a joy to cruise in. We log a couple thousand miles a year in it. For this reason I would like to offer you this advice.
    When I did the upgrades, the first thing was a front disc brake kit and a dual vacuum-booster master cylinder. That made a remarkable difference in stopping ability. Next, I installed power steering, because my wife could barely manage to maneuver it around sharp corner with the "armstrong steering". The power steering setup was simple and inexpensive. I utilized a 58 Chevy Generator/power steering pump and its valving ram adapted to the Buicks pitman arm and tie-rod. We can parallel park with one finger turning now. That conversion cost us about $250 total. Next we installed taller gears in the rearend. You can get those gears from later year Buicks (57/58) to fit your housing. Then you won't get run down by a little Dodge Neon like I did, Most embarrassing! I also installed a compound carb setup with synced carbs on it for a considerable boost in power.
    I'll try to upload a picture of our motor to show the simple power steering mount, (no complicated bracketry required.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.
    DSCN2241.JPG DSCN2242.JPG

LONG, jocktherock and hacknwhack like this.
  5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thanks for the kind words KB.
    I forgot about that gen/ps pump. I haven't seen one in 25 years. Thats a real sano
    Setup and looks perfect
    On the straight eight.
    Some thing I will consider in the future. I ve been looking for a factory power steering setup for some time.
    Maybe mating that pump with a mid fifties power column.
    I'm not a fan of the ram assist setup. Nor ever been a Chevy or ford guy either.
    More into buick olds and Cadillac.
    As for disco brakes...
    I have had many 4 wheel drum and like them. just
    Need to set them up correctly. i think they work fine for cruising.
    I too have a nice 41 manifold with several pairs of carbs. Just holding off on the mods for now.
    Since I never really drove this car extensively i dont want to change much until
    I get a feel for it.
    I have had a few cars that I modified for speed and handling and sacrificed that smooth running and feel that was engineered in.
    On the other hand after a couple months you just might get a pm begging for advise on how to upgrade this and that. Haha
    Thanks again.

gonzo likes this.
  6. telekenfun

telekenfun

Shane a comment on the brakes on our Buick for you to consider. I tried to use the stock drums as I too have had good results with them if they are in good condition and properly adjusted. After insuring that all my wheel cylinders were in good leak-free condition, upon driving I discovered that my drums were badly warped. I took them to a brake shop who told me that was very common on old vehicles. We actually remounted the drums on the front hubs to insure that shoe surface was truly concentric with the spindle. Both front drums were below minimum thickness when the surface was finally cleaned up to be perfectly round. The shop made me absolve them of any responsibility for the drums condition. You may have a difficult time finding a shop any more willing to clean up your drums. When I reinstalled and adjusted my brakes and went for a test drive, as I approached 50MPH the front end developed fronted shake and wobble be cause of the severe imbalance of the drums, even with freshly balanced new tires. After a lot of time and $ spent on the brakes it made more sense to finally go to a disc conversion than on a witch hunt for good original drums.
    So if your brakes are "gabby" and induce vibration in your front end on brake application, yours too may have warped drums and may well have been previously turned down close to the "minimum". In some circumstances a disc conversion makes the most sense.
    I hope these comments can save you some time and money towards getting your Buick on the road.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

7. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

:cool:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. Coming along great man! I'm getting ready to send my motor to the machine shop as well! My bank account is scared!!!

9. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thanks man.
    Didnt cost me that much, i got lucky, the last guy spent
    A ton of cash .
    Good luck

gonzo and LiveActionMotorsports like this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo

Looking forward to seeing this one on the road.

hacknwhack likes this.
  11. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

160 miles round trip in a nor easter, + 5hrs waiting at motor vehicles,spent half my checking account...
    All for some bulls*@t papers...
    Today was a good day
    I just may sleep through the night.

gonzo likes this.
  12. Congratulations! I'm dreading that part of my project, legalities and papers........

hacknwhack likes this.
  13. Congrats dude!!! Woohoo!

hacknwhack likes this.
  14. Finally found the vin on the frame?

15. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Never did find it.
    Inspector didn't care either.

16. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

So i finally got it on the road.
    11 years later.
    Didnt know what to expect,and its certainly not what i was hoping for.
    Missing my 63 s88 with that 394 starfire mill for sure.

All in all its not bad.
    I have been shaking down clunks rattles and alignment issues. Went through the tune and valve adjustment.
    Keeps getting better.

All in all its not bad to drive.

Milling the head and the 41 dual carb setup will happen
    Real soon.

gonzo and LONG like this.
  17. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Here is my real problem.
    Top speed 65.
    And does anyone know what it came out of.
    49-11 = 4.45.
    Shopping for a 390 0r 360.

Attached Files:

18. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

Nice job Shane!!! Let's meet up for a cruise.

hacknwhack likes this.
  19. gonzo

gonzo

Hell yeah Shane, that's awesome. Always takes a little fine tuning to get the bugs worked out. I'm sure that car will keep getting better and better. Any pictures of the inaugural drive?

20. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Heres a shot of the rainy white knucked maiden voyage
    Ran it at stock height for the inspector.
    Far from artistic.
    Almost utilitarian

Attached Files:

21. gonzo

gonzo

[​IMG]

Looks awesome man!

T-roaster likes this.
  22. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

looks killer Shane!

23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

i got 4.34? what year rear axle did you use?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  24. Shane, that did not start its life in your car, for sure. Any gear set up through 1955 will exchange. Have a '54 3.36 in my '50.

Glad to see it on the road.

Ben

hacknwhack likes this.
  25. gonzo

gonzo

I got to see Shane's car for the first time in real life tonight. It was too dark for any decent pictures but the car rules. What an amazing job... so good.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448164023.467648.jpg

kiwijeff, bengeltiger and LONG like this.
  26. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thats the way i got it.
    never bothered to check till now.
    I assumed it was a stock 410 for years.
    Im thinking a 360 to 390
    Would be a good start for putting around.
    336 sounds good for highway
    Im just concerned that i may run the power valve all the time in traffic. (Currently its a little lean and needs to be tweeked)
    I would appreciate your input on drivability as im making a run to a yard that has all these options in two weeks.
    How do you like the 336
    And is it a stick or auto.?

tomkelly88 likes this.
  27. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thanks for the kind words
    It was cool to share time with some old freinds.
    Cruisin Boston traffic was fun with parade gears too. One heck of a way to shake it down.

28. Shane, mine is a a stick. Overall, I am satisfied. I do have to shift to second at a higher speed than I did with the 4.10. Rounding a street corner at five mph was doable with the 4.10, but anything below ten mph, it wants second, due to the rpm being below normal idle speed. An overdrive would be better, but pricey. I think if one had a Dynaflow, driveability would be no problem. Would I change back? ONLY if it was to be limited to town driving.

At highway speed of 65/70 it is still near the top of the torque curve. But I think a faster gear would be too much.

It has a couple other mods that are not HAMB friendly.

Ben

hacknwhack likes this.
  29. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Good info. Thanks for your time.
    Im swayed to go lower than 390 now
    However More horsepower will be needed to prevent low end chuggle/ bog.

Good excuse for more mods.

Ill be limited to what i find in the yard.
    Trying hard to keep it hamb friendly.
    Shane

firstinsteele likes this.
  30. The unfriendly part concerns the gas delivery. And I WILL NOT change back. Contemplating some "hop up" mods for mine.

Ben