Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's/60's International pickups anyone brave enough to build one ?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Big Dad, May 15, 2008.

1. RatPin

RatPin

The height of the cab changed along with the rear window, so doors and windows will not interchange between cabs. The front sheetmetal swaps pretty easy on the L (50-52) to R (53-55) series, On the S (56-57) series there are a few changes that require some slight fab work to transfer over.

2. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

ok cool thanx for the info

3. I want more pics of 52 53

4. Terraizer

Terraizer

The 1950-1957 L/R/S cabs never changed in height, i have a 1956 S-100 with R doors on it and a 1953 R-120 with S series doors on it. The S and late R series doors make the cab look taller do to the larger door windows but cab height never changed. The 1950-1957 L/R/S cabs are pretty much the same other then the rear window (1955 R-1957 S have a one piece rear window, 1950 L-1954 R have 2 rear windows) and with the one piece window the door window openings got larger, also the door handles and latchs changed through the years but all or swapable from one year to the other, the only doors not swapable between the models are the 1950 and some early 1951 L doors do to them haveing hidden hinges where the later years have exposed hinges, the Comfo Vision cabs where used from Nov 1949-1968, after 1957 on big trucks also used on some Diamond T's in the 1950's. The front clips are easily swapable between the L/R/S series trucks, i have a 1954 R-100 with a S front wrap on it. I have owned 5 of this body style and they have to be some of the best put together cabs (fit and finish) of any International, and i have owned over 100 from 1935-1980.

Mojochachi9 likes this.
  5. nwaringa

nwaringa

Sorry a little late to the game......Here is a few of mine prior to tear down for frame off... currently working on a Mustang II, 350, and swapped rear axle. It is a 1951 L-110. The biggest features you see on this model missing from most of the others is dual rear windows and hidden door hinges.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. twogees

twogees
    from Mid Mo.

Here is what is in the process....progress has slowed because of being of work since Aug. 09. I would like to get it on the road this summer. It's a 53. The green 52 was sold last summer to guy down the road from me, so I still get to see it every day:). I've also got a 49 KB cab that I'd like to do something with one of these days.

Attached Files:

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This is fellow Silhouettes James Cosens' '58 Binder, body channeled on a late model Merc frame 1st picture

Attached Files:

8. Recluse

Recluse
    from Montana

54 International R-110. Bought it almost as it sets, paid $1500 and drove it home. Spent a weekend cleaning the pieces of gas tank float (cork) out of tank, replaced some wiring and put a weber 32/36 on it. Previous owner had the bed/frame shortened and the entire brake system redone. Gets just a tad over 20 mpg with high 4's rear gearing. I would like to stuff a V8 into it but it runs like a champ so haven't yet got the heart to pull that old cornbinder six.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jflaurr

jflaurr

I am working on a 54 International R120 it is a cool truck got it from my wifes grandfather its been sittin in a field for 20 years so got alot of work to do on it just as soon as i get back to work to afford to do it. going to put a mustang II front suspension and ford nine inch rear due to the rediculously large lug pattern the stock suspension has. it is 6lug but like 9 inches apart

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was us picking it up from my wifes grandpas farm it is all tore apart now waiting on the mustang II suspension and Ford 9 Inch rear one day

10. Here's a great pic of an International L-110 by aaronbee from deviantART.

[​IMG]

Mojochachi9 likes this.
  11. silversink

silversink

A little CLR will bring the shine out on one like that, It worked on my KB1.

12. ok let get some kool binders ... slamed , big motors, .... inspire me ... thanks yal .. 53 owner

13. The Tackman

The Tackman

I am new here and so very happy I found this thread. I just bought this 1959 International.
    [​IMG]
    It has a 400 Pontiac with a TH400 and a 12 bolt rear end. The front suspension is out of a Trans-Am so it has disc brakes.

14. The Tackman

The Tackman

I'm thinking either flat black with moon discs or keep it yellow and get some original caps and white walls. Any ideas?

15. The Tackman

The Tackman

Is there a place that sells aftermarket or original grills a headlight bezels?

16. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

56 s100 with 427 and power glide[​IMG][​IMG]

17. nwaringa

nwaringa

That is some shit to try and fit between those narrow frame rails.... my 350 barely squeezes in.

18. Blam

Blam

MAN!!! i just put my 58' back together after about 6 years of sittin in my dads field. i Bought the truck about 14 years ago, i was 9 years old and used it to irrigate fields out in the country, it's been sitting ever since my senior year of high school. Cleaned the carb and put a new coil on and she fired right up!! i got a few minor things to do to get her driving, ie: brake line, U-joint, tires and such, then she'll be good to go! i'll get some pictures up later.

19. ok o a question to you guys . i have a 53 short bed, l110, i need to do cab corners ... i need to know what truck to get them off of .,.... rumor is to use a gmc ,.. or chevy ... can anyone give me real world experience .? sorry for the question .. but so few of us out there

20. catbox

catbox

i use'ta have a 68 travel-all.

we called it frankenstien as my plans were to paint it green wth a black top. it was also lifted six inches on 33's.

people always gave me thumbs up where ever i went.

i can still hear the lifters tickin away in the 345...

21. pool

pool

I made both sides for my 57 S-100 and wondered if there might be a market for them. I would think other brands might work but by the time they fit well you could have made your own. If your interested in trying it yourself I'll lead you through how I do a set.

22. pool lets hear it ! jake

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

International guys....
    Just had a look at a 57 S110 a friend is doing some work on for a customer. It's beat and has all the paint scraped off to the primer...but its one impressive truck.
    I like the look and damn that cab has lots of steel in it to make it tough! The slight curve in the glass and the matching curve in the dash are just too cool.
    I can see WHY you guys love them so much...
    I'd love to have one!!! ;)

24. metal1

metal1
    from NWT,Canada

here's mine! got it out of the bush after sitting there for over 30yrs.it has a bd240 Looks like it was in an accident or something, the frame is broken in a few spots. So now im thinking of a frame swap or try and find one thats mostly complete to buy or something...kinda don't know what to do with it now. but Im not giving up on her just yet! Got any ideas????

P6060180.JPG

P6060183.JPG

P6070015.JPG

P6070018.JPG

P6170102.jpg

25. Roostre

Roostre

Too bad you're so far away; I have a complete frame and drivetrain sitting out back that I would gladly give you for nothing.

26. modelamac

modelamac

well here it is... I finally got it up and going.
    after a VERY long year of work it's done!

I've been driving it to work everyday this week...

I've owned a lot of vehicles, but to be honest I've never had one that I thought was so plain... attract so much attention!

it actually could be the swamp cooler and not the truck LOL
    I had one lady pull up next to me at a stop light waving her arm yelling "sir, sir.... is that a rocket engine on the side of your truck?" LOL!

I just got a big 'ol smile and said "why yes it is... yes it is" LOL!

Attached Files:

juan motime likes this.
  27. rixrex

rixrex

I was looking at a picture of a 49 Intl pickup and was impressed at how good looking it was...

28. Roostre

Roostre

Congrats!:cool: THAT is one good looking truck. Two BIG thumbs up!