Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 chevy truck-slow progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fullblast, Jul 27, 2009.

1. As some might know, I bought a 50 truck for my next project. It has taken a while to get it all stripped down, and the extra frame bits cut off. The good news is the frame is straight and only a couple of things to weld up.
    I just finished welding up and installing up the No Limit air bag front end, went pretty well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think this will drop it quite a bit, I am getting a 9" rear from Tuck, and starting the rear when I get back from Strugis.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

50 Pickups seem to take longer than most for some reason.
    At least mine has.

3. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

what's them thar shinny parts on that chevy? just kiddin' looks good. bet you can't wait to take it for a spin.

4. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Agreed.....See my build thread....

Looks good homie, keep it up!

suscribed (I got one too thats taking way too long)

5. Guys....you've got that right! :eek:

Sweet lookin' ride Fullblast. BTW what's the firewall centre section from?

6. A kids wagon(Harbor Freight), my wife had her brothers Orig Radio FLYER wagon and said to use that, but its got to be from late 50's- early 60's and I could not bear to cut it up. The new one is a bit thinner metal but should work ok, 16 gauge eveywere else.

7. More progress! Having secured a 9" from Tuck's place last Thursday {only getting stung by bees several times} I mocked it in place this weekend. I think I will move the lower shock mounts to the front of the axel for clearance, the panhard bar is too close to mount them in the rear. I still have to get a front mount for the truck arms, would like to find a stock setup- but I can build one if I have to.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ok I have been busy on this for a few days, progress is got the C-notches in, moched the front crossmember in, placed the air bags and mounts, and I think am happy with the location of the shocks{driver side mounted for now.I am thinking of putting some 2" blocks also, but I need to get longer U-bolts. Right now its all tac ked together. If I do the blocks, will move the panhard bar up.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What do you think so far........?

9. Oh forgot that I am making up some boxing plates, made a pattern already just have to cut them out.

10. Nice. Where did you get the trailing arm kit? Todd

11. No kit, I am using stock trailing arms from a later truck, and a dropped crossmember from CCP, and then some parts from the welder series place, I have about 300 less tha going with a 4 link, but if I was to do over I would prob go with the 4-link from No-Limit, running exhaust will be interesting.I am tring to get really low without putting the rear into the bed, so stock bed.Won't be dragging frame but, I want to use as a truck also.

12. Up-Dates.... after making and welding in my boxing plates, I decided to get some new shields and shade for my welding helmet, WOW, what a difference I can now see the welding, and the welds look better too, now pics,
    1. I assembled the new box I bought from Mar-K (great quality), attached one fender and the wheel, to check the centering of the axel
    also i am making a alum cover for the pumkin where it will venture into the bed area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Any updates?

14. just got my rebuilt 3rd member back and picking up the trans tonight, so motor going in this weekend, pics to follow.

15. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Good! What did you end up doing with the trailing arm crossmember? I used a stocker with some channel welded to the ends, worked out really well. I also plan on using F9000 bags so I guess I owe you some royalties :eek:. Also curious where your running boards are going to be at full drop and what tire size you're running...

Sorry for all the ?'s!

16. The front of the boards should touch, but the rears prob 2-3 inches from touching, I not putting a big notch in the bed, on tires prob run 205 or 215/75/15's front and 235/75/15 rear, should fit, going to get Diamond back wide whites, going mild custom on it.

17. More Progress, and Pics! I have mocked up the drivetrain...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Theres a couple of things I have to changs on the motor but looks like could be the spot, and if I ever get another early car/truck I can swap in a sbc and keep the hemi. Oh now I am looking for a radiator.

18. Just scored some new running boards @ Back to The 50's /st paul/ for $150 for a PAIR! cheapest I have found anywhere were $399 pair up to $500 pair.

19. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Updates? I'm really curious to see how close you get to the ground with that notch...

20. just got a radiator, mocked up, with hoses, now flex fan and rad shroud, yea I can't wait either- I need to save up now for some front tires- I'm thinking 205/75/15 or 215/75/15 wide whites I have the wheels, $ got a bit tight for a bit, now I just had to do front bearings & fix my radio for my HHR, I've been chasing a wierd prob & it hasent left myself much truck time, I did score some wheels & tires for the back just to mock it up & get it rolling. I'll post more pic's later

21. I have had a minor setback- my welder gave up and had to be repaired- so I have been stuck

22. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made some progress now that my welder is back-$450- later, new parts will have to wait a bit, but I can do a bunch of low-buck stuff still. I neew to weld in the sender retaining ring, but pretty close now- clean up the welds & pressure test it- might still do the POR innner coating- just for insurance. Should have close to 20 gal, filler will be on the outside, next to the rear stake pocket, still need to find a cool cap.

23. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Ouch! Tank looks good, you made it? I checked on your thread earlier wondering how it was going.

24. Progress is being made- bought 2 dimond back white walls and had them mounted, been running my brake and fuel and tranny lines- install fuel pump and regulator,now I need to get a master cylinder and diaphram, I am using the stock pedal and mount, and I think I will locate the assembly slightly rearward using a longer push rod on the pedal. also have to get front brake hoses. It's just down to buying parts for now. I hope to have some pics later- this weekend was spent blowing snow- 18 inches and high wind gusts, not fun. lucky I put in heat in the garage, -13 last night and -5 this morning.

25. I welded a bunch on it and it warped it, I welded it and dressed the welds then I presserized the tank and checked for leaks- was like a seive- so I rewelded and repeted my tests and kept having to go back, should have just tacked it with the mig and gas welded the rest- mig welds seem to have a lot of porisity, I will prob redo the tank later, might do one out of alum, but now I have the pattern to work from.

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

Looks like you are doing great work.

Just curious, but when is the last time you mocked it up with tires and fenders on the front and got the truck off the jack stands? From what I can see, I think Id be cautious that your front end isnt sitting way high after you get it on the ground.

27. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

love the build.
    love the fire wall ( wagon) i have used a wheelbarrow in a 49 5 window as the fire wall before never crossed my mind to use the wagon.

28. New pics, I have been doing som work, brake lines are run, the front lines under the motor need to be finished and bolted down. will finish those when I pull the cab and drivetrain, put the tires on, if anybody was thinking that was going to be too high-NOT! check the pics... oh theres 3 2x4's under the front... might have to raise it.

Attached Files:

29. I am using the stock brake assembly , adding a remote booster, fits ok, exhaust should be fun.

Attached Files:

30. sorry pics reversed, other post is fuel pump.

Attached Files: