Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 chevy grill ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilkazeevil, Oct 14, 2007.

1. I went out to see an old buddy the other night and ended up coming home with an old 50 fleetline. It is a really clean car with an all original running gear that someone has tried to customize before. No front or back bumper and both have been rolled, a lot of shaved trim, etc, but nothing major. I am goign to start on the car soon and I am looking for pics of these old chevys with different style grills in them. Thanks in advance.
    EvilKazeevil

2. really someone has to have some pics or ideas. Anything from mild to radical

3. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

50chevy.com, should help you with pics

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

53 grilles look good. either moulded or chrome.

here's a pic of a very cool idea and it is really simple... the center bar is a second bottom bar. the uprights have been removed, and the grille "frame" had all been painted satin black. looks killer aand all you prolly need is a drill.

[​IMG]

5. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

mine

Attached Files:

6. purple

purple

I found one pic on my computer. I like the opening but with a 'vette grill.

Attached Files:

7. Thanks guys. I will chevy out the 50chevy.com. I agree with t he opening on the blue car. Those teeth are just to busy. Vette grill would be good or something else with small teeth. I am also thinking of using the center bar out od a 54 Olds and using the top hald of my opening with another one flipped upside down and all molded in with the 54 olds grill floating in the opening.

8. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

my buddy put in a 50 merc surround and a 54 buick grill.

and i did this on my old 50. 54 buick surround and a 50 chevy rear accessory bar for a grill.

[​IMG]

9. Nailhead

Nailhead

[​IMG]
    This is my favorite one yet. Nice, clean and simple but definitly custom. The others look too busy for my taste. Nicely executed. Got any more pics of this car with the front bumper on ?

Todd

10. teddyp

teddyp

heres a few:cool:

Attached Files:

11. I ti s finally getting cooler here and i am spending more time inside and thinking more about this frotn end. I have gathered some parts recently/ I have a complete 53 Old grill/bumper, complete 50 Buick grill/bumper, and a compelte 54 Caddy grill. I am thinking of using outer caddy pieces coming into the bullets and that is where I am stuck.

12. choppermatt

choppermatt

i think those are bumper guards?

13. If it has a rolled pan, any of the 49-53 grilles will look weird with the flat bottom. '54 would work, especially cut to fit in the opening.

Depending on how tall your grille opening is, '58 Buick, '58 Pontiac, '59 Buick, '60 Chrysler (less shell), all work for a mesh type of thing, '54 Olds, '55 Chrysler lower bar, or some of the other ideas above might work for a floater. '54 Pontiac with a bullet on each side maybe. Post up a pic of the front of the car - or just take a digital and use the grille pix from an old Motors Manual, photocopy them and cut them out and try different ones on a digital print scaled to the same size.

14. customcory

customcory

Imagine it as a fleetline.:D

Dsc00757.jpg

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I believe that is a Desoto grill in a 53 chevy surround.

16. 52ChevyBizCoupe

52ChevyBizCoupe
    from Maryland

I've got a 57 Buick grill we're gonna cut down to put in my 52. Should turn out pretty well

17. Some ideas for ya...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can get inspiration from cars other than Chevys too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck...post up what you come up with.

Bryan

18. I've been thinking about this one for a long time... I have a '50 Fleetline as well, and my preference would be a merc-type surround (which I'd probably have to fab) and some sort of floater, or a '54 surround and grille. I haven't had luck finding a decent front clip from a '54 though, nor a good desoto or other type floater, but I did come up with something by accident that I think is going to work out really well.

The problem with the stock front ends (for me) is that they are kind of snub-nosed. THe radius of the bumper really flattens out in the front and doesn't follow the curve of the grille and the hood well. This flattens out the front of the car visually. I got a '54 bumper from Danimal in a trade for two Tshirts (beat that!) to use as part of my mockup. The '54 bumper follows the curve perfectly! However, the kickouts on the ends really square off the front end, so I put two of the '50 dagmars on it, and it really gave it a lot more length and dimension. Plus, it looks more like early 50s style customizing... more Westergardian. Plus, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone do this particular treatment, which is nice. Of course, I now need to find a '54 gravel skirt. Anyone got one? Repops? Also, the bumper mounts need to be altered to drop the bumper a couple inches. I'll have to get a pic for you.

Anyway, here are some pics I have collected while looking for other examples.

Attached Files:

19. more...

I liked how the guy with the Buick grille used part of the Chevy grille as the surround.

Attached Files:

20. I don't like it rolled in the front as it is. I will probably put a bumper back on the front. I have been tihnking of using the 50 buick bumper and some of the teeth and bringing the 54 caddy outers in and run the buick teeth between them. I may shorten some of the outer buick teeth and run them under the caddy ouer pieces with the contour of the caddy pieces.

Here is a pic of one I like a lot with the exception of the fugly headlights.
    [​IMG]

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i had a 51 that i put a 47-48 olds grille in,,,,,looked really great..you would have to fab a lip on the edge of your hood,,but it looks really nice

22. Here is what the front looks like now, as I bought it, just like the damn yellow wheels.

[​IMG]

Definetally needs work.
    EvilKazeevil

23. meyerjoh

meyerjoh
    from maryland

I just pick up a 50 fleetline. The grill is in bad shape did you come up with anything ?

24. retromotors

retromotors

Since this thread is from November 2007, he probably has.
    (Or maybe not ...???)

25. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Here is another Idea for you; it is simple remove the Chevy up rights and running lights.

Attached Files: