Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 prong power window switches, how do I wire them in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaGrasta, Jun 8, 2006.

1. I now have all four power windows installed and wired. Each has two wires.
    I also have this great Riviera four bank window switch I want to use (mounted in my center console). Each switch has 5 prongs. Modern switches have only three. How do I make this combo work?

2. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

Usually if they are all in a row the outers are to the motor, center is ground and the other 2 are power. This is how all aftermarket 5 prong ones are wired.

3. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

I need to read better, you said they are factory Riv switches. You can check with a Meter the ground will flow to both motor wires while the switch is at rest. This will help you determine the motor and ground wires, the other wires on a factory switch are usually power.:rolleyes:

PS be sure to fuse the power at around 20 amps while testing the switches.

4. Thanks for responding.
    Okay, if I'm following, three of the five prongs are ground, the other two are power. So I basically take the two wires from the motor and run one wire to the three grounds (found with the meter) on the switch and the other other wire to the remaining 2 prongs?

If that is correct, why would they have so many grounds when they are all going to ground out together anyway?

5. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

No, one is true ground. Both of the motor wires will show ground while the switch is at rest. When you push the switch one way, one motor wire stays at ground and the other one will be powered up. When you push the switch in the other direction the positive and negative will switch sending the window motor in the other direction. I will try to find some wiring diagrams for the switches.

6. Not necessarily. Ford power windows are wired this way (power switches sides to reverse rotation), GM window motors are grounded through the case, and the power goes to each terminal separately to reverse rotation.
    So, those switches will not handle ground, but will switch positive from side to side to power the windows either up, or down. The extra terminals are for the other switch in three cases (driver's window is the only one with one switch, all others have two).
    Mess this up and your windows might work, but they won't work well...experience teaches me this.
    Cosmo

7. I'm at work now, but I just called my wife to count the contacts as to be sure I had it correct. She says, it only has nine contacts total for all four switches in the bank. I guess I need to re examine what I'm starting with. I just got these schematics from a friend. I'll check it out this weekend and I'll report back.

Attached Files:

8. As you can see, the switch handles only positive power, the motor case is grounded. Check your motors before you attempt to use this switch.

Cosmo

9. Big Pete

Big Pete

To make this work you need access to a meter. A 12v supply need not be a die hard for testing. If the motors and windows are fully assembled run each one up and down and lable the wires for polarity, and write down what the lables mean. Draw a mechanical picture of your switch controller and pick numbers for the terminals for notes. Get your meter and set it up for ohms.
    The deal is the motors run the windows up and down, and stall open circuit at limit of travel. Up or down travel is based on polarity on the wires switch polarity switch direction of travel.
    You have to pick which control switch operates which motor, and identify which terminals are affected by the operation of which switch. Extra terminals are for master control ie driver rolls up passenger window, blocks passenger from operating window etc. Works for me.........

10. thanks for the tips and help. I was off base with what I explained. Basically I have some old, (3 terminal per switch) switches that I'm trying to attach to 2 wire motors… doesn't work.
    I need reverse polarity type switches. The best I can figure is two relays per switch could make this current set-up work, but damn that's a lot of relays. I really want the old chrome switches and not the black plastic ones. I found 2 or 3 sources for old school looking chrome that are reverse polarity, but they are $75 for a 4 gang!

I have yet to decide what to do. Let me know if you have any ideas or switch sources.

11. Like I said before, you have Ford motors, so get Ford switches.
    Cosmo

12. They're not Ford or GM. These are aftermarket power windows, the fronts are Dolphin brand and the rear are Electric-Life brand. Even if Ford switches would just wire up, they still wouldn't be the chrome old school switches I want. I've tried to stay true with period correct stuff. Some black plastic power switches won't cut it.

The wife actuyally just told me today, buy the $75 switch and finish it already. All systems go…