Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 and 6 bolt C4 bell housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d2_willys, Aug 22, 2013.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Attached are 5 bolt (left) and 6 bolt C4 bell housing pics. Anyone out there know if the 5 bolt engines can use the 6 bolt bell housings? Seems as if the only difference I can see is the bolt hole that is arrowed in pic.

c4 5 bolt and 6 bolt bell.JPG

2. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Nope.They are all different size patterns.No way you can mix them.
    5-bolt is much smaller.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Pontmerc is right. Just see how much closer the top bolt holes are in the 5 bolt bell.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

NO,different bolt patterns all around!! The 5 bolt bell will fit the 6 bolt transmission though,and the 6 bolt will fit a 5 bolt trans too. ROY.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Some thing to be careful of though, although the bell housings interchange on the C4, when I did the same deal about two decades ago, the input shaft from the earlier trans was a smaller, different size from the later trans input. If you have to change the torque converters to match in this deal you could be in for problems. I ended up having the two input shafts cut, machined and mated to do the deed, but if I'd dug longer I'm sure there would have been a direct replacement of some sort.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ok, so the 221, 260, and early 289 blocks have a different bell pattern than the later 289,302, 351W? Seems strange, but anything is possible. I will have to check it out with my 6 bolt bell housing.

7. Yep, the 221 and 260 will only be found as 5-bolt, the 63-64 289 are also 5-bolt. Everything 65-up (except for the handful of 260s sold early in 65) will be 6-bolt.

The one-year-only 5-bolt C-4 bells are very hard to find these days. You can swap all internal parts between the 5 and 6 bolt blocks though, so if you're working with a 5-bolt 289, almost any non-roller 289/302 block will work. The only fly in the ointment is the late blocks with the one-piece rear seal don't have the 'oil slinger' flange at the rear main journal, that will need to be machined off the early crank.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Seems strange? Just a "normal" part of the Ford "secret handshake" I keep talking about... Just be thankful your not talking Falcon sixes... Early, mid, late, and even later bolt patterns, and just for more fun some are drilled for two or more!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

d2 willys;yes,you have that correct. need louvers;we must have gotten lucky,did not know about input shaft differences.The car I helped do the swap on has been on the road almost three years now. Thanks for the heads up on the shaft! I have also done the bell housing swap for the big bell [164 teeth] to the small bell [157 teeth]. ROY.

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Or 2.3 6 bolt C4 bellhousing

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Only deal worse than Ford's 'no interchangeability' program with early engine/trans combos is American Motors rear axles and differentials between about 1958 and 1962. If I recall, 1959 alone (speaking just full-sized cars) had eight or nine different axle designs and none were interchangeable. I realize this is almost non-relevant in a hot rod environment, but it does go to showing why GM stuff is so popular with modifiers and swappers.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah, not to mention separator plates, flex plates, starter motors, and water pumps!

AND Ford's propensity to change things mid-year!

13. Ah, it's not that bad.....:D You can't just grab parts off the shelf willy-nilly, but there are 'dividing lines' you need to pay attention to.

I've never had to shim a Ford starter.....

14. Ford also had 1-year-only parts well into the '70s. I had a '72 Torino stock car, the rear axle shafts were a bitch to find.

I played for a long time with Ford FE motors and was impressed at how well the parts went back and forth in those. The rest of the car was another story. Chevys were a breeze in comparison.

Bob

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

On one level I have to agree, there is a sort of common sense kinda interchange through the model lines that I have become pretty comfortable with over the years. But then thye would do things like 28oz balance and 50oz balance just for the heck of it, and, well, screw that!

16. I've found that Ford parts will interchange pretty well, but you do have to pay attention. Yeah, some changes are inexplicable (the 5 vs 6 bolt bells are one), but generally there's more interchange than you think. I've found that swapping a part many times requires a few other bits ('ok, I want to use this, but I need this other part to make it work') or maybe a slight mod, but it still works. Or a part that at first glance looks different, but really isn't; a case in point is Y-block, FE, and Windsor fuel pumps. Each looks different from the other, but full interchange is there because the mounting flange and the contact point on the arm are all in the same place.

Yeah, I was upset with the 50 oz change too.... until I figured out the late balance revs better because of the lighter crank.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

So you have to THINK to run Fords,Big Deal!Once you work with them for a while it all works out!!Besides,any ham fisted clown can build a chevy! ROY.

18. Todd Ashworth

Todd Ashworth
    from Utah

Would a rear end out of a 1977 mustang II work in 1962 comet

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'm not sure about the MII diffy fitting the Comet (I believe the spring perches are in the same place), but a V8 diffy from a 1964 or earlier Falcon or Comet would. Also note the MII is a four bolt wheel pattern.

I assume we are talking about 8" differentials here.

20. Todd Ashworth

Todd Ashworth
    from Utah

Correct 8" rear end just having a hard time finding a v8 diff in my area that will work

21. uncle buck

uncle buck

22. George

George

The so called "64 1/2" Mustangs are Titled as '65s but have the 64 engines.

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"The so called "64 1/2" Mustangs are Titled as '65s but have the 64 engines."

And so began the endless confusion about when the bellhousing change occurred.

24. No confusion.... the bellhousing change occurred at the same time Ford switched from generators to alternators.

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The confusion is that a supposed 1965 car has a five bolt bellhousing block.
    But the car really should be called a 1964, but for marketing purposes it was called a '64-1/2 or '65.

And just for fun, Ford alternators were available optionally in 1964. This is disregarding the earlier Leece-Neville units.