Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 Miller Indy Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Thanks for sharing this. I can't seem to ever recall seeing a Miller with a Buick-like grille shell before. Since it was apart for awhile, I suppose that would stand to reason. I have always been surprised that during the 1920's and 30's that Buick and Packard didn't get into a patent fight about their grille shell similarities. Either way, the Mullin Museum is on my must-see list if I ever get back out that way. Thanks again-Mark

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Were there a lot of other high performance cars of the era that were front wheel drive? I know the Cord was FWD, and some Cord models were supercharged. Just wondering how pervasive FWD was back then.

I'm not going to say anything about my wifes 2006 Dodge Caravan being traditional, but it is a front wheel drive machine.....

4. autobilly

autobilly

In this case form follows function and the result is pure beauty.
    The Miller 91 (pictured at Indy below) has always been one of my very favorites.
    [​IMG]

5. GARY?

GARY?

Yeah, what if FWD still looked that good?

Nice post Jive.

6. hkestes

hkestes

This Miller was at last year's Manifolds on Main show.

Attached Files:

7. ehdubya

ehdubya

It looks like there were 4 or 5 of these built and according to Michael Ferner in the prewar racing thread only one (possibly Cooper's who didn't qualify) was a rebuilt derby Miller made to look like the others.
    Also of note Harry Hartz relieved Kreis to drive laps 101-123 and the best finishing Cooper of McDonogh (#14 pictured) was driven from lap 113 to 200 and 6th by DePaolo.
    This is said to be the Kreis car at the 27 Italian GP where he relieved Cooper to finish 3rd...

Attached Files:

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gawd those are gorgeous