Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

49 to 54 chevy automatic column shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonzcustomshop, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop Member

I would like to see some pics, or descriptions of 49-54 chevys with the original column , and a colum shifter for an automatic transmission.
    ( not just the stock powerglide, any auto..)

I am running a 59 olds auto transmission in my 50 convert.
    the 50 was a powerglide car, so I have the original auto column shift still.
    I am not against a floor shifter, but with the X frame things are real tight next to the linkage...
    not ruling out a cable shifter either, just want it to look like it was done in 62, so b&m mega shifters and stuff like that are out.
    just looking for ideas on how to run linkage...
  2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a 401 nailhead and SP400 in my 50 sedan delivery. Used an auto shifter off of a 54, cut 3-1/2 inches out of the shifting tube and moved the shifter up the column 3-1/2 inches. I then made a new shift indicator out of 1/8" lexan and used some rub on numbers and letters my wife picked up for me at the hobby store to put PRND21 on it. Heres a couple of pics of the shifter and indicator. Did some modifying on the shifter so the handle would have to be raised to enter reverse from neutral.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop Member

thanks! that looks like what I want to do.
    did you have to fab the linkage from the shifter to the transmission?
  4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a shifting rod in the spare parts pile that came from some column shift car. I had to do some rebending on it to make it work. Also had to make a special lever for the trans to get the travel right down there. I can take a pic of it if it will help.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop Member

thats ok on the pic.. I have the original 59 olds link, its just 5-7 inches short!
    I might be able to use it as a pattern and make a new longer one.
  6. mj40's

mj40's Member

Lokar is a good choice from column to trany.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres what I did on the tranny, Took a stock lever and cut one side off and grafted a lever onto it. Got it too short the first time so I had to add about 1/2" to it. Its 3-5/8" between the holes now and the throw is just right with the stock shifter. As you can see park is at about 10:00.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010