Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 chevy pickup sbc install steering box clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hanginlow58, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Linwood

Linwood
    from Texas

I have a similar problem on a 51 Chevy pickup with Mustang I.F.S. and power steering. Everything is in the way of the steering. I have found a step toward success was using an 87 Nova exhaust manifold. It exits at the rear and heads straight down. Cheap at Autozone. I will also go to a short oil filter. I may then be able to bend the downward exhaust pipe out of the way enough. I will still have to use U-joints, maybe.

There is also a block hugger header manufacturer that says their 1-5/8 tubed header will clear all steering assemblies. I have not tried it, but you might look for them. They had listed dimensions that might help you. I will be back in a few days and will try to find the company site address for you unless someone else has a dead on solution for you. I also want to keep my engine centered, for appearance and drive train alignment reasons. Good luck.

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

Has anyone considered the 525 Saginaw box, used on the 65 and up impala's , monte carlo's ? This is what I'm using on my 56 F100. They are cross steer like the vega but are heavier built.

3. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

well I wont be able to finish this post with a solution to using the stock steering box because the customer wants to go with a mustang II front suspension now, but this is some good info here for people wanting to keep the stock steering box.

4. Linwood

Linwood
    from Texas

I am also using a mustang IFS suspension. I did not want to. I had already tried a Nova frame, but the highway ants were complaining about antenna loss. I was too low in the front, I had to use 14 inch rims...so I went IFS on a stock frame. This whole thread has given me much to think about in solving my steering problem, and I thank you all.

Williemakeit, if you are around, would you explain "cross steer" please.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

That box is originally mounted inside the frame rail.The 70-80's 2 wheel Chevy PU box is mounted outside the frame and suits this swap pretty well.

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

We ran into this problem on our 54 Chevrolet pick up. This old truck is no where close to being nice but I just couldn't do anything that would look like shit. Speedway sells a set up that works, but that cost dollars I don't have, so I went shopping at the local junk yard. I found a GM box...I have no idea what is out of but it mounted on the outside of the frame. Pulled all the stock column out and installed a later model truck column. Swapped the old wheel over and was driving. This old truck is a granny four speed , the 307 pulls like Hell up to about fifty miles an hour then it's done.I'm thinking of changing the rear to an open shaft, and swapping the granny for a T-5. It's a lot for fun to drive as long as there is no "Interstates" on the trip.

7. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

pics. would be great of your set up.

8. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I had 49 1/2 ton AD truck It had high log style manifolds (82 up camaro) mounted on the wrong sides, the pipes dropped down a little foreward, but they cleared the stock steering box just fine...and they were free.
    We ran a late 50's bellhousing with bellhousing mounts and little biscuts off the front of the small block.
    stock tranny and tube driveline.