Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 ford headlight switch HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 48flyer

48flyer

I'm in the process of re-wiring the entire car and updating everything to 12 volts.
    Does anyone know what wires go to what terminals on an original headlight swith for a 46-48 ford passenger car?
    The switch is clearly marked. R and B on one side with P, B, and H on the other side. BUt that does not mean a thing to me:confused:
    Thanks guys

2. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

3. 48flyer

48flyer

Here is a picture of the back of the switch

Attached Files:

4. looking at the diagram that whitewall tires posted , on the side with three terminals H is definitely headlights , B is battery and comes from some sort of fuse block, and P is park. on the side of the switch with two terminals R is for rear tailights.....the B also seams to connect to the battery at a fuse block

on the `49 ford i rewired with the stock headlight switch that had two B's also

5. Per the wire digram: "p" is park or running lights. "H" is headlights to the dimmer switch. "B" is battery supply from a fuse \breaker. "R" is dash lights.
    With the headlight switch knob pointing at you there are three terminals on the left and two on the right. front left is headlights,second on left battery/circuit braker,third or rear terminal is park/running lights. Two terminals on right are front battery/circuit braker rear id dash lights.
    hope this works for you

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The thing that confuses most is that there are 2 battery hookups...once you realize that (true of most HL switches) all is easy.
    P is PARKING lights, R is REAR or tailights...note pre-68 type function, parking lights on alone at first click, off when HL is on...Taillights have two riveted terminals because they come on both with parking lights and headlights. From memory, I believe the instrument light switch is branced off the terminal for taillights. It goes to a separate rheostat dimmer switch for instrument lights.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

By the way, swithc is easy to overhaul, but be careful because if you drop anything you'll need an hour to figgeritout!
    Pry back tabs, lift off plastic, you then have two sections of brass with terminals supported by ting springs on the sliding plastic block. Disassemble, clean, coat everthing eith light greas and reassemble. Good for 60 more years.