Register now to get rid of these ads!

183 mph Street Coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 14, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Pure mechanical sex!

3. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

i love the exhaust exits. power to weight, weight transfer, aerodynamics..........check.

4. Greezy

Greezy

5. aaggie

aaggie

I used to work in the Oil Patch around Midland, Texas and just outside of town was the largest Rolls Royce dealership in the world. Big Oil was King and people flocked there from all over for the jobs, housing was hard to find and workers slept in their cars in parking lots.

Today there are probably more abandoned buildings than Detroit.
    Cars were a big part of the economy. Jim Hall built the Chapparell race cars there and a lot of the industry took advantage of the test facilities to develope new prototypes.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pure hot rod in a hot body.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Actually, Midland is booming again...

8. seatex

seatex

I'm pretty sure they still hold tumbleweed drags there almost every day of the week!:rolleyes:

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Was this the only Mabee Special? I seem to recall a sports roadster that was run by Joe Maybee, also with a Ray Brown engine, and also from Texas? Thought it was yellow....

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

200 mph with 350 hp is very impressive.If that speed is for real there might be something to learn from this old car.

11. If this thing is still sitting in a hangar, it would be an ultimate barn find! Maybe it's time for you to take a trip to your hometown...

12. Re-read the story.

13. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

WOW, what a spectacular body! And a spectacular achievement...I think I saw pics of a roaster like this somewhere...maybe. I wonder if there were very many of these made, or were they one offs? There's a caravan of HAMBers heading for Midland now! Impressive!

Eric

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I was raised in Odessa, finished school in Midand around 1987. Ryan really understates the point of this being a car town. Really, Midland and Odessa can't be separated much more than Dallas/Ft. Worth. They are forever tied through oil. Mostly blue collar Odessa and Mostly white collar Midland, I remember rivalries that weren't always settled on the track. Nine mile, faudree road, telephone road, midkiff, grandview and andrews hiway. These are the battlegrounds I grew up on. Most were pushed farther out of town as the buildings came, but always, there was a beef to settle in the wee hours of a Saturday night.

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

16. Sure remember that article in R&C - what a great car. I thought the shape was very good. Obviously spoilers front and rear might have improved stability but perhaps not so much for top speed. Many stories of the Midland/Odessa car scene, including Jim Hall and Hap Sharp, from my friend Jim Baron who was from Midland.

17. Cool car!

I just bought a pair of wing struts from Gary Austin's estate in Midland, TX, to use as the frame rails on my next project.

18. Terry

Terry

I worked at the R/R dealership, it was far from the largest in the world... and BTW it's Odessa /Midland not Midland/Odessa. Can you tell which I'm from? LOL

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I was there in 53 and 54 and saw those cars run.
    Very impressive.
    The Mabee's were very nice people also....

20. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

That car may set a record for the combo of pure power/good looks. I can't believe its whereabouts are unknown!?!

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ryan, I thought Geoff Hacker told me that the Larsen car was currently being restored -- maybe I misunderstood.

22. txtom

txtom

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  23. N72727

N72727
    from FRANCE

24. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

there was an article in hotrod about a year ago that talked about the ray brown hemi and the guy mabee special and it was a small foreign sports car.

25. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

gotta respect a town where you need to check your boots in the morning for scorpions before you put em on...