Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 ford truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattlance13, Jul 18, 2013.

1. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

Here is my other rig. My first rig, and the one i plan on keeping. I got it when i was 14 after working various summer jobs and sweeping lots of shop floors for the whopping price of 600 bucks. Although not much, it was my life savings at that point.
    heres how it was purchased.
    [​IMG]
    I got it in sun valley CA, it had been a work truck at a cement quarry for most of its life. then in the 60s was bough to be the hosehold truck. In 2006 the son of the purchaser took the truck all apart and got over their head. My dad had his own shop and was renting a storage lot from the son. he asked my dad if he was interested. my dad said no. came home that night and told me about it since he knew i had been saving to build a 72 chevy truck. we went to look at it and all the parts and ended up taking it home that night. the original flathead I6 was sold to a friend, and then we started inventory of what we had. ended up with this
    [​IMG]
    and this is where i stopped taking pictures for the most part, but it got alot of work on it. we got it pretty low on the suspension it came with pulling leaves and using lowered axles. we put a 250 I6 that my dad had in it, and he insisted on this motor so i wouldnt get in trouble, and were in the process of making that run when my dad had a accident at work that he never came back from so work stopped for a bit till a regained some motivation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my dad passed on several vehicles to me a huge rediculous 83 chevy 4 door dulley long bed truck that later was sold because gas was rediculous, a 97 nissan hardbody that i drove alot and used to get parts for the 47, and most importantly. i lifetime collection of parts and tools and 4 small block chevy engines. after building one in autoshop in hs and selling it for money i finally used 2 other ones to make the current engine in the truck. A 72 chevy 350 mated to 64 chevy corvette 327 heads that have bigger valves and boost the compression of the 350. they also got hardened seats and some rollerrockers added to them. then i got a mild miller cam. and used a offy intake that i got from my dads stuff, and 60s cal customs finned aluminum valve covers and matching oil pan.
    [​IMG]
    In 2011 my friend Skratch had me helping him around his shop, and one day we had to transport a car up north. but we had the trailer for an extra day. he said that the truck should come to his shop so it might actually get done sometime soon. that was a offer i couldnt refuse and as long as i was working on it with him and did all measuring and cutting, he would do the welding on the truck since he has a tig welder and is much better at welding than me. So the truck met the chopsaw. Since low is the name of the game, the frame got a huge 13 inch C notch in the rear and 7 inch Z up front and is completely boxed.
    when first at shop:
    [​IMG]
    what it went to:
    [​IMG]

then we dropped engine into it and upgraded the suspension cut two coils(hate all you want) added disk brakes and many many more fixes to 1947 technology
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and got it to this:
    [​IMG]
    then i went off to boot camp. skratch continued working on it now that i was earning a paycheck, then i got orders back to CA to the fresno area(lemoore? wheres that?) and now on the weekends the truck gets work.
    here are some more current updates:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will continue to add pictures as i go.
    the bed was raised to the body line on the cab, front and pending rear fenders raised also, runningboards and bed floor also raised. then the hood is in process of being sectioned. and there is thoughts of switching to car front sheet metal. but focus is to get it started now which is waiting on battery box fab and wiring run.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This is a thread I'm gonna subscribe to, so I can see your project all the way through.

It looks great, and that's coming from the former owner of a truck like yours

I wish you the best. I know your Dad would be so proud of what you're accomplishing, with the truck and with your life.

3. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thank you. its getting there slowly but surely. in november i transfer even closer to my friends shop, so then i can work on it hopefully afterwork every day. but the plan is to get it drivable before the end of summer. this isnt a rat rod though so work will continue once its driving.
    thanks again.

4. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

forgot some
    the stacks bracket:

[​IMG]

stealthy fuel filler in stake pocket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and more on the C notch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

5. I like these old trucks,,I'm subscribed. HRP

6. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

and as it sits today:

[​IMG]

7. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

not too much to update, just welded up the bed stucture more, cleaned and painted it.
    [​IMG]
    the fuel filler cover:
    [​IMG]
    a fresh picture of the engine with headers painted and installed
    [​IMG]

8. This truck is really neat. I would move the brake booster off the firewall if it were mine, but that's just an aesthetic thing... Looking good!

9. n847

n847

Cool build you got going there! I dig your colors togethera! Im assuming the body will be the metalic blue color?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

yes. similar to engine block color but more silvery

11. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thankyou. there is alot of attention to detail on this truck.
    as for the booster, recessing it into the firewall would have been nice, but there isnt much room for it.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks. just think. if you did this on a TV (lack of) Reality Show it would have been done in one hour - Ha!

13. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

i wish, if i had the budget of a tv show and a week off work, and 30 other people. it would definatly be more complete.

14. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I really dig this body style, gonna be a good lookin truck. The engine bay is pure eye candy

15. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thankyou. lots of time went into the engine. i think i went through about 4 head sets before i found a good useable one. then the finned valve covers and oil pan came with one of the engines i got. then the rest has all been fun finding. the clear distribitor cap was at a local hotrod parts store. i think thats one of favorite pieces. then carb spacer got drilled along with front motormount, that took some time. skratch modified the headers and made the huge collector/fenderwell dump from diesel truck tubing. the plug wires ran under the header so they are hidden. its the little things that count. there will be a vent in the side of the hood so the engine doesnt get hidden too much.

16. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

here are some pics that werent added to this yet:
    the cut:
    [​IMG]

a detail of crossmember and engine mount:
    [​IMG]

a face shot for referance. changes to come.
    [​IMG]

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looking great. that engine is SICK.

18. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am so stealin this!

19. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

here is my 47 ford pickup me and my dad built, hes a drummer

Attached Files:

20. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

sweet ass truck man. how you liking our hot ass summers? im live in hanford.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sorry about your dad! Truck is looking good, I'm glad you got your motivation back!!

22. dirtracer

dirtracer

What type of IFS is in your truck?

23. 2racer

2racer

saw one with a horizontal grille, looked better that way

24. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

its pretty shitty, but you get used to it. i hate the dust more than the heat

25. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

its a widened 50 chevy piece with cut springs

there are some grill plans in the works:D

puller likes this.
  26. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

Up date is just that i found a better rear fender than what i had. but ive been working on the last couple weekends, so nothing new to report. hopefully this weekend i can get something done.

27. albertaboy

albertaboy

28. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

finally after 4 different starters, got the right one. wiring is ran. cranked it over yesterday. motor break in will happen tuesday. expect photos and vids to be posted shortly after. yall can open videos on christmas day. woooooo!!! soo stoked on this.

29. skoh73

skoh73

Nice work. I love the engine bay and proposed body color. Not sure if you're into it, but with that color and the custom touches you have already done to the truck, I think a tastefully done drawer pull knob grille would really set it off. Keep up the good work. Thanks for serving our country!

30. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

i dont have the pics, but there is another 47 on this site, green in color, i will be using that as inspiration for the grill. ill see if you can figure out which truck before i give it away. i wont be copying it, but using the idea to my preferance. thankyou for the serving county comment. i really appreciate that. happy holidays.