Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 454 ouch...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Aug 30, 2015.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

That was a tall parking lot speed bump.......

2. "knock knock"
    "who's there"
    "Rod"

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Rod, who?

Get-me-out rod, we met a fee years back in your shop.

LOL
    That stil such!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

454 with air conditioning, it's a selling point!!!!! My only foray into a BBC was years ago with my first bracket car with a 375HP based 396, and wound up in a similar fashion. I sold the engine/trans to a guy in a "partnership" deal for $1000.00. He was a Roundy-Round racer that wanted to go Drag Racing. His very FIRST pass in the car, I think it actually scared him, he blew the thing up, royally. Externally, there was only a drip of water coming from the dipstick-tube-into-the-oil-pan-connection. After we pulled the intake, it looked like a hand grenade had gone off inside the engine. I managed to salvage the top end, after replacing a few valves/guides, but the block/lower end were scrap. It took out two rods/pistons, and a 6 inch or so section of the valley and camshaft. He claims all he heard was a "pop-pop". Odd too that the B and B Series 60 shifter stick was bent over 45 degrees away from the driver (???). Pretty sure he over revved it judging by the bent over shifter stick. I'd raced it for 2 seasons without any trouble at all before selling a partnership to him. I still tried to re-coupe as much as possible for him by selling the rebuilt heads, intake and carb, distributor, headers, and the Powerglide trans/converter. I then sold the rolling car, took him on as a helper on my FED, and later on with my RED Super Comp Car. I just did't want him to think I had suckered him. Now I wish I still had that car. It was for sale on E-Bay about 2 years ago for 56K as a Pro Street/Pro Mod type of car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. I agree the rod bolt nut was either not torqued sufficiently, or lost torque. Then it loosened up until the cap came off.

6. czuch az

czuch az

No rattle?????????
    Radio too loud to catch it, or does it happen that fast?
    Seriously askin.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

This little dumpling wasn't torqued! I'll bet if you check some of the remaining ones they might be perfect or in the process of backing off. If they are all (remaining 7) torqued to spec then the builder just answered the phone or got flashed by some sweetie or whatever and just "F" up. If the others are backing off then the rod bolts relaxed (cheap non GM or arp fasteners) Regardless that thing should have sounded like an alligator chewing neck bones! Hell Rush Linbaugh could hear that!

8. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

I've seen this before!...unfortunately the rod nuts weren't torqued. Hopefully you can salvage some of it.

BnG Engine likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Sounds like a oil pan failure to me

10. it is not funny but it looks as the nuts came off looking at the picture good luck I have a 454 block if you are looking for one

11. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Had one did the exact same thing, ALL THE RPMS FELL OUT ON THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. BnG Engine

BnG Engine

Had one where somebody bought an aftermarket crank where the counterweights were meant for longer rods, but they installed stock length rods and never checked anything. One of the counterweights ended up hitting the bottom of the piston stretching the rod bolts which the nuts backed off doing almost the same thing. The block was not hurt at all which means the guy got lucky, but the crank had to have the journal welded up because of the huge gouge in it.

volvobrynk likes this.