Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 ford tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Mar 5, 2011.

1. LBCD

LBCD

I got this car from back east about 7 years and many gray hairs ago.
    The day it arrived.
    [​IMG]

it looked great but needed new interior and a new stance. I took it to a friend and had him smooth the fire wall, replace the motor,trans,brakes,rear end,suspension, added power steering making it a daily for me and the family. While the car was there he had pointed out that the floors and other parts where held together with fiberglass then painted black to look like metal. I was pissed about the rust because the guy I bought it from in Boston lied about the rust free body...he said his kid was a body man and replaced all the rusty metal.
    Live and learn my friends.

[​IMG]Fast forward a few years...

It need to be patched and painted and I had a friend of a friend take the body only to return it sayin he couldn't do it. meanwhile I stripped the chassis and had it powder coated and painted some parts myself.

[​IMG]

Fast forward to 2010, I found a nice 99% rust free body not far from home and picked it up. I replaced one small rusty floor piece with a patch piece the guy had given me with the body. I now had a 100% California rust free car and brought it back to the painter :D

The painter should of been done by Thanksiving of last year (really 7 years ago) but he keeps the drama and BS on the thick side. He is one lucky SOB that he is still breathing air as most of you on here would of buried him 6 feet under in an end zone somewhere.

Long story but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and this is how the chassis sits now waiting for the body. I replaced the fuel tank and lines and added some new wheels and tires.

I will update with pics when the body is back on. I can't wait :cool:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

lbcd, Car is looking great ! Will stay tuned as you continue your progress.

Dave

3. LBCD

LBCD

thanks 41Dave :D

Just went by the painters shop and he mixed up a 41 Ford stock color ....Mayfair Maroon. I likey and he is going to start painting next week...body with deck lid first then fenders, doors and hood.

[​IMG]

So I took all the stainless steel trim pieces out to start buffing them and
    I'm 50/50 on using the stainless steel fender trim and window trim :confused::confused::confused:

I like the clean and uncluttered look, I feel too much chrome is too much, hmmmm
    but for sure I will re-install the belt line and hood stainless trim sides and top for a stock look.

[​IMG]

4. The frame is beautiful! I know you can't wait!

5. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Great! I may be part of the few that actually likes the 41's, I think they're awesome. And Bud, you are defiantly on your way! I truly can't wait to see the finished product!

-Cody

6. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Congrats Dude. I love the '41s. I recently picked up this one. Much like yours, with a 350/350/10 bolt. I've got a coupe to do a body swap, but I'm diggin' the back seat space. keep us posted.
    [​IMG]

7. Cool car-frame looks killer-keep us posted.

8. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Very nice ride...I had one in high school in76 traded her for a quarter horse..what a dumb ass..wish I had her back!:D

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

lbcd, You are making some great progress. I hope to get my chopped Business Coupe on the road by next spring. Keep the updates a comin' !

Dave

10. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks guy's for the motivation!

if my painter could just hurry the f up now.

I just got the dash and all the garnish back from the powder coater...its bone white similar to what the vw guys use on their bugs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

lbcd, Sorry that you are not a fan of some of the stainless. Having multiple '41s, I can appreciate them . My tudor is a Deluxe and just has the belt line trim. The chopped coupe is also a Deluxe and is clean and simple. My Fordor is a Super Deluxe. It has stainless on the fenders, w/s, rear window, around side windows etc etc. (I love it !).
    Wish you the best as you complete your '41. Hope you and your family enjoy your Tudor.

Dave

12. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks Dave! my family would love this car done for summer....or I'm a dead man.

I decided to buy the stainless fender trim about 5 years ago and bought it from a fellow 41 owner...nice guy with a nice 41 convertible. I drilled the 4 fenders for the trim and now I am filling those and also the window trim holes ( the 46 body) ...i didn't count them but theres around 80 and 40 on the firewall.

Here is the 46 body I picked up in Palmdale...another nice guy to deal with, he has a huge lot with a few huge garages with some nice stuff he has collected over the years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

lbcd, Glad you found a better body. I had a chance to buy a clean Fordor in NoCal- - but the finances weren't the best at the time. Good metal is still out there.
    Got an idea for you . . How about forming our own social page ? Maybe call it the "11A Social Pages" . . . Not too computer smart, but hope to find someone who could help. Could you PM me the contact info for the guy you got your body from ?

Dave

14. 21tat

21tat

Looking good!

15. LBCD

LBCD

Sounds cool...I'm not too good myself when it comes to the computer, maybe down the road we can do something.

Thanks 21tat!

Not much to jump up and down for but I'm doing a little here and there.
    I dropped the front fenders and doors at the paint shop today...slow going with this guy. So while I'm waiting for the body I started messin around with the seats. Stripped the front seats down to the frame and removed some rust with a wire brush, then used a wire wheel for the heavier stuff. I need to weld the frame then finish with rust inhibitor and rattle can them...I finished the drivers back and it looks good so I wont need to spend more for blasting. :D

Attached Files:

• r2.jpg
      r2.jpg
      File size:
      478.3 KB
      Views:
    • r.jpg
      r.jpg
      File size:
      439.8 KB
      Views:
    • r1.jpg
      r1.jpg
      File size:
      425.1 KB
      Views:
  16. LBCD

LBCD

Happy Labor day!

Well......I'm still waiting on the painter to paint the fricken body :mad:

I will be picking up the body next week..done or not done. I've been fucked over by this guy too many times and I'm finally done with his bullshit and got to move on. Like he has told me before he will have it done and I don't need to take him to small claims court..... sure.

If he gets it painted I will be blown away...it's the same old story over and over....sorry about the rant....summer has come and gone and its still in primer and needs a bit of body work.
    I'm out 4k right now and only have receipts for around 2k...thats my stupidity for thinking this guy was cool.

I'm :mad:

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Your story about the body and paint guy sounds familiar to me:confused:

18. pumpman

pumpman

It's the shits when stuff like this happens especially when they should be bugging you to pick up your project and not the other way around, hang in there man. Based on your last post I think you've develop the right attitude to deal with him.

19. LBCD

LBCD

Well...I gave this painter so many chances to just paint the damn car. I even had him sign a document stating that if he didn't finish painting my car this past week He would pay back what he owes or I would take him to court(what a pain in the ass). Of course he didn't finish it and it's time to move on. Time for me to learn how to do body work and paint, If you want something done right ...do it yourself. I'm looking forward to the next few months, once again I can't wait damn it.:cool:

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Issues with body men seems to be a common thread coast to coast. I haven't had problems , but I know of friends who have had problems similar to yours. Good luck with it and above all , keep your blood pressure down.

21. fordor41

fordor41

I've had my 41 S/D fordor painted twice, both front doors redone from road damage and I swear if I have to do it again I'll do it myself. I don't think I would screw it up any more than the "Pro" painters.

22. 416Ford

416Ford

The good news is, He didn't get it painted in time after you made him sign. My last painter raced to finish mine and we are still fixing the F-ups so we can repaint it.
    Best of luck on doing it yourself. Wish I had the talent to do body work.

23. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

That frame really looks good lbcd. Sorry to hear about your painter problems. If you decided to do it your self check out your local Vo-Tech school to see if they have night classes. Took auto body at my local Vo-Tech, was able to redo my front fenders and smooth off my deck lid using their tools and booth just had to supply my own paint and primer. It was a great deal 22 - four hour classes cost me $250.00. Great thing about it there was no classroom it was all hands on working on the parts from 1st day of class. Instructor would come around to each student and would show you what you needed to do and how to do it. Hang in there you'll get it done.....:D

24. redzula

redzula

there you go man DIY is how I roll

25. redzula

redzula

I second the vo tech classes.

I took autobody in tech school because it was only one more year (3 total) to get both auto mechanics and auto body degrees.

I was nervous starting bodywork because I'm not real artistic. It really is a lot easier than people think. and even if you dont feel comfortable painting it you can get it super smooth in bodywork and primer and then take it to a shop so they can scuff and shoot the rest of the car in a week.

26. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks for the info guys! If I had the time I would love to take a class, but the rat race is killin me. I have had a few things come up over the past few weeks and got side tracked. I will be picking up the car done or not very soon. It's hard to even get a hold of him now, I've gone to his shop a bunch of times and nobody is there..it turns out he messed up his shoulder and just had surgery ...yet another excuse. KARMA is a bitch my friends.

27. Feel for you man , Frame is lookin killer .

28. bigdav160

bigdav160

OMG, that looks like my old car.

I burn the valves on a cross country trip and sold it to an high school shop teacher in Stamford Connecticut. This was around 1979.

Let me see if I can dig out an old picture.

29. LBCD

LBCD

Did you find a photo?