Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Arcata Airport - 1956

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Also... note the 5:45 mark... That dude might be one of the top 10 coolest guys ever...

3. Choptop

Choptop

Great stuff. Road racing and hopping up the cars, no matter their country of origin, is about as hot rod as it gets in my mind. Not every hot rodding innovation came from land speed racing.

take this example... started life as a 1939 Ford in 1953. Now known as the "Monsterati". Hand made body, modified Ford chassis, back in the day ran a Merc flathead. I friend of mine raced it this year at the Monterey Historics. Said it was a handful but a blast to drive.

[​IMG]

can a resurgence of road racing hot rods be just around the corner? Stay tuned :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Cool video.
    A little history on the Arcata Airport.
    It was originally built by the military in WWII for training. It's location was picked because it has one of the best records for foggy days and the military needed to train its pilots in foggy takeoffs and landings. Lots of experiments were conducted including one of my favorites.
    Both sides of the runway were lined with gas pipe with holes down the whole length. It was torched off in an attempt to clear the fog with the heat from the flames. It didn't work too good.
    My Grandpa was a B17 pilot and he trained here before moving out.
    The airstrip was eventually surplussed by the military and to this day is our local commercial airport. And fog is still an issue.

5. Arcata airport 1956! Humboldt county is a little remote now, I think in the 50's it was over a 12hr drive north of San Francisco. Ah, the Humboldt summer fog I'll bet those guys were freezing their asses off, the oceans basically across the street:)

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I've always wanted to build a road racing model A coupe. Torsion suspension, Buick 215, as light as possible.... I'd love to get it to handle with straight axles and skinny tires. I know it will never beat a can-am car, haha, but I'm sure that it can be made to be fun.

That monsterati is a perfect example. I saw it several years ago at the Historics.

So... anyone else? we can start invading autocross events and track days haha

7. Choptop

Choptop

working on some "traditional hot rod" style classes with some vintage racing types... stay tuned :D.

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It is down to about 4.5 hours now. We do get some warm weather, but right on the coast it isn't everyday. And yep, the end of the runway is a bluff about 150 feet above the ocean.

9. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Love the vintage SHTOOPING music.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man if Chins Could Kill, that dude at 5:45 gives Bruce Cambell a run for his money!!!!

On another note, can I say I give my left nut for that 356 that takes the lead at around 4:36 in. Love them little cars.

11. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

You almost half expect them mofo's to be drinking martinis on que.

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Geez, that light colored Jag launched pretty had for a British car.............

13. Yeah I lived in Arcata for about 5 years while going to school. My in laws still live there. Motherinlaw was the prodject manager for the airport remodel/expansion they just finished. Love Arcata, sun burns off the fog about 4 and the fog attacks again at 415:) I made Arcata to the Golden Gate in 3.5 one time at night honest I was only doing 55!!!!!!!!!!

14. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

SO cool, polo shirts and light weight helmets...and that passing on the outside, to much. Thanks Ryan. Slim

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Boy I'd love to have that little roadster. Gotta love the tire on the back!

16. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Run what you brung. What a hoot!

17. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, that was some kind of hot! Does anybody know what that music actually is? Who played it? What it was called?

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yeah. now there's a haircut you can set your watch to.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

The cool stuff just keeps coming our way.

20. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

21. 36C8

36C8

22. Really cool how simple club racing was, or at least appears to be.
    I remember seeing an article showing that with a few friends you could remove the body of the Ford and install the Glasspar in a weekend - in one in the hot rod magazines of the day. Made me think I could do it as well, clearly some did with success.
    Thanks, Allen

23. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Gotta love Humbolt and Arcata! My wife lived out there and we visit often.
    Neat to see some of the history of the airport we fly into. My friend in Arcata used to work there. A lot of dirt flying and flag waving! Looks like fun:D

24. My Dad raced sportscars from 1956-1960. Mostly at Harewood Acres and Green Acres in southern Ontario and Grayling Michigan. He never raced a road course, only airstrips, and never had a car with a rollbar. Some of the guys would bolt a towel bar to the floor of the passenger compartment in case they went shiney-side down they could grab the bar and hold on for dear life.

I've posted this photo a million times, but it's the only relevant one I have on this computer...

[​IMG]

25. calpyro

calpyro
    from napa

26. Fej

Fej
    from NorCal

Awesome find! I'd heard rumors that there used to auto racing at the airport. My dad worked at the flight service station at Arcata Airport while I was growing, spent a lot of time there. He loved the video almost as much as I did...

We've still got the Samoa Drag Strip (which I believe is the oldest operating NHRA track) & auto cross out at the Samoa Airport, and the Hoopa Hill Climb a little ways inland.

http://www.samoadragstrip.com/

http://www.rscc.net/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  27. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

What cool history about our backyard! I have a parts run frequently along the backside of it (in fact Crusty Nut texted me about this post as I happend to be driving along side it), and I've often wondered of any racing history there. Samoa Dragstrip, naturally was born from racing up the airstrip on the peninsula, but never heard of it happening at the Arcata airport in what's now McKinleyville.
    What's especially odd about the fog is how it'll roll in so much quicker on the north end of Central Ave. and it could still be sunny 6 long blocks away where my work is. But that's life on the bluff for ya. Great post, Ryan!

28. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

That's some neat stuff. BTW, the original Samoa strip wasn't where it is now. My Dad and other old-timers tell me that what's now the old airstrip is the original dragstrip.