Register now to get rid of these ads!

3D Cad model of small block chev engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Jun 24, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was afraid you were going to say that! :( I REALLY wish I had that! What did you pay for that extension? Was it stand alone or do you actually have to own it? Since the SW license allows me to load it up at home and use it whenever and however I use it ALOT, but I don't think my company would buy some "make it pretty" software for me. :(

2. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

So far I have never used anything that even touches ACAD in 2D.

As far as 3D - the best bang for buck is by far Solidworks.

My best friend was trained and certified in ACAD 05 with me - he was hired into a company that uses Pro-E and he hated it at first. It wasn't long after that - he got his "sea legs" in Pro-E and now he cannot hardly do anything in ACAD near as well. He loves his program...

Solidworks has a bunch of capabilities that ACAD could only dream of - but I think that ACAD has seen the light. If you can't beat them join them. (In fact if you can't beat them - steal everything they have!)

I had a buddy of mine show me how he works in Solidworks - he built a simple shelf with "L" brackets and put a "load" on the shelf. Then he did an analysis of the stress.....

All I could do was drool. It was WAAAAYyyyy faster than ACAD (at the time) and it had logic built in that gave the objects real life properties like weight and solidity (guessing that's where the name comes from).

In ACAD if you built a hinge and a pin and put the assembly together - then selected either of the objects and tried to move them - one object would pass through the other like a ghost.

Not true in SW. Build the hinge/pin and assemble it -assign the values and try to move the hing and it will swing on the pin - because the program knows that both are solid.....

Freakin' cool.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a bunch of tool boxes offered for SolidWorks that make EVEN BETTER! Full rendering capabilities, fluid dynamics, wiring harness designers, tubing tools, ect. ect.. but the one that REALLY gets me is an ANIMATOR that is available! You think SolidWorks is cool? Wait till you see it in animation! You can actually build an entire engine and animate every piece so it will work as designed. It takes a HELL of a long time, but once it's done, you can present it as movies and animation files. Crazy stuff! Very cool! I have an old copy of it, but I think it finally ate itself. Can't seem to get it to work. Going to try it with what I have now and see if I can reload it.

4. koachwerks

koachwerks

Pro/E has the same functionalities, if you pay for it, but from what I hear Solidworks is still a better package. Don't know if it's true or not, haven't seen a Solidworks demo. I can say that 2D drawing using Pro/E sucks! For 2D stuff I draw in AutoCAD and import into Pro/E.

5. 3034

Work paid for it and I'm not exactly sure how much but a regular Solidworks license is about $4K. Photoworks comes with Solidworks Office Pro which is about $5500 but with that you get Photoworks along with Animator, Featureworks, Toolbox and some other good stuff. Toolbox is great because it has every nut, bolt, washer, or screw you can think of already drawn up. Maybe you can talk the boss into that? Here's a link:

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/3dmech.html

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! I cannot even tell you what I went through just to get the lowest version! I WISH I could have that. I've already pushed it to the limits. It's hard when you're trying to convince someone to understand what you're doing that has zero experience in the design world or Engineering world... VERY difficult!!

7. Too COOL! Let's hear it run.

8. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Bryce5 can animate too.
    ...just don't ask me to do it.

I don't need animations and I don't really know how much more involved it would be.

ACAD 07 can animate a "walk-thru" and convert it to .mpeg

Which is sweet for buildings and fly arounds.

I have done that and it was as easy as 1-2-3.

9. djmartins

djmartins

Hi,

Could someone send me this engine is an exported file format?
    I work in Pro/E and would love to have a copy of this.
    I have some Chevy parts I could use to tweak the models a bit for more accuracy.

My email addy is djmartins AT gmail DOT com

Just my $.02, Pro/E has far more capability for complex models than Solidworks and this is why is costs so much more.
    It takes years to learn Pro/E, but the results are worth it.

regards,
    DJ

10. grumper

grumper

Man, the 3D stuff is cool. I've always wanted to go more in the design side of things rather than supporting the networks and systems the designers use! Based on the model are you able to tell me what angle the motor mounts sit? I want to make some mounts and I can't find my angle finder in all my junk in my garage.

grumper

11. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

what ever happend to just grabbing some metal and a driveline out of the junk yard? GETERDONE!!! hehehe

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Yea, nobody does that anymore :rolleyes:

The time will come when the meat will meet the metal - but if you just go willy-nilly into building your car and you don't have some idea of what you want it to look like, you'll end up building just another ugly ass hot rod that looks like you could have done something here or there to make it look a little bit better.

Of course cars like that are all over the place and apparently I am in the minority on this - as I have seen whole issues of a certain nameless magazine filled with ugly, thoughtless cars. But I guess everyone has their own skool of thought on that one....:) My thought is to have an idea what you want then go get the car and the parts to do it. Then work until you have executed all of your goals, which (in my case) will take the rest of my damn life.The other way is to find a car - any car -then just add a bunch of "look at me" stuff to it until you're done, and call it a hot-rod....or rat-rod.....whatever........

I think some people can build stuff in their head - and can obsess about it enough that they can build that car without any paper "plans". These folks generally speaking are "stuck" on a certain car - or style and will build everything in that style, until they somehow move on. Every time they move on they get stuck on the next thing - until they get it out of their system.

Others need to keep track of their ideas - they need focus. You can get that by drawing up a plan.

I happen to be one of those people, the difference is - I can not only draw it out and conceptualize it artistically (going for a mood or style), but I can then take those sketches and put the info into a digital format that is dead nuts accurate. I use CAD at work every day and I am trained for putting thing together with a purpose in mind.

I personally can't seem to contain the flood of ideas that I get when I am dreaming about building a car. I need to have a plan and a goal. When I get going on a project I know what's next on the list and I know what's after that. When I get done - it looks like I had a direction. It's why people come to me when they get to that point on their cars (or whatever - homes as well) where they feel "lost" or are loosing their motivation to get it done. I will whip up something they can look at and suddenly they want to do it....

Don't get me wrong - I'm no Chip Foose - that guy is a fucking god.

13. missed this post first time around, but friggen brilliant!

14. Cool! I'm studying Solidworks at the moment as part of a uni degree I'm doing (Bachelor of Technology - Motorsports). It's a lot of fun, much more fun than doing my computing degree. :)

Here's a pretty basic alternator bracket I've just done that will hopefully fit on my car!

[​IMG]

15. oldtin

oldtin

Can I get a copy of the engine in IGES or Parasolid?
    I'm sure I can add to the assembly and return the favor.
    Can the file or component files be emailed or are they to large?

There has got to be someplace that we can store / exchange these cad files.

16. Bert

Bert

way to go brootal..........:)

17. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

So when can we expect something similar 3D-like as this guys...
    (sorry for the way offtopic year this item represents :D )

18. Yeah sure, give me 20 minutes! :eek:

Wow! That was very cool, even if they did only build half the engine. Lazy pricks!

19. Solidworks and Pro engineer seem to be the most common 'trade standard', do many of you guys have much to do with 'inventor'? The company I work for is pushing us to use the program, and whilst I have been learning how to use it (Seems great thus far), would like a second opinion.

Great to see progress Brootal, your mind will be full of all sorts of opportunities now....

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

20. mikes51

mikes51

Another designer friend of mine uses Inventor and Solidworks. He likes inventor but on the last job where about 8 outsourced designers had to work together, he used Solidworks. Everyone else was using Solidworks so why use inventor and have to do wierd file transfers if you don't have to.

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME! I've got some software that can do some of that as an extension to SolidWorks, but it would take me a month of straight work and a computer with a shit load of resources and a crazy graphics card to keep it from crashing and stalling!

Thanks for posting that, O/T or not.

22. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Solidworks and Inventor are kind of like AutoCAD and CADkey in my mind. I understand and can effectively use SW and ACAD. Inventor and CK seem sompletely backwards to me. You can probably guess which ones I've used more:D .

That said, we have a guy who's used to and likes Inventor. It appears to be a little flashier (which fits with his personality), but darned if I can figure the thing out on my own. Going from ACAD 2D and Pro/E to Solidworks was very easy and intuitive.

SW is far from perfect - it doesn't do so well with large assemblies (10k parts and up) and the extensions (Routing for example) are buggy. Their 3D sketcher is dissapointing, too, allowing the use of only a few of the contraints available in 2D sketches. Seems a little more finicky overall since the French took over;) .

Be sure proper consideration is given to support after the sale, too.

23. Not trying to hijack this very cool thread with my lame-ass alternator bracket, but I was playing around with the stress analysis a bit today and ended up with this result.

I had problems getting the forces exactly as I wanted, i.e. using bolts, so instead I just used linear forces. After a bit of mucking around, adding larger fillets and stuffing around with a few things, it looks a lot better.

[​IMG]

24. oldtin

oldtin

Props to BrianAngus and all that were involved with this thread!!
    Thanks to you all my cad library is growing quickly, now if I could build the real deal as quickly I'd be getting somewhere.

I have added a little to the smallblock and stuffed it in an A frame.
    I'll continue to add to it and post up what I can when I know the parts are dimensionally true. So far what I have done is off the cuff.

I had to reduce pic quality to post, hope it shows up.
    Also attached a zipped parasolid of a bellhousing, not sure on the depth though.

Attached Files:

25. I'm glad to see that so many people have made use of the small block model. I have sent that sucker all over the world in the last 3 or 4 months. During the summer my design engineering business is very slow, and I spent the summer modelling engine parts and mailing out adverising brochures for my business. www.rupnowdesign.com Now all the people that got my advertising want me to design machinery for them and I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. At this time of year, I wish I could clone myself to keep up with all the work!!!!

26. So does anyone have a '32 frame in SolidWorks? :)

How about a 365 Cad, 6-speed Tremec and Quickchange?

27. 40Tudor

40Tudor

It's a little messy and you'll want to verify some dimensions, but here's what I believe to be a decent approximation of a 32 frame made from dimensions in the Wescott's catalog.

I have a decent fabbed Ford banjo quickchange at home if no one else turns up with one. JohnnyFasts 2D QC is likely more accurate than mine depending on what you want.

Chris

Attached Files:

28. Okay guys---Here's something new. This is a complete front end with a 4" dropped super bell axle. This was sent to me by someone, but I can't remember who. All the parts were there, it just needed an assembly. I put everything together into an assembly this morning, and will try to paste the zip file into the hamb. Its all in Solidworks, and this time I am not offering to save it in a dozen different formats for emailing to people (that could be a full time job in itself).---Brian

Attached Files:

29. Another upload try

30. I can't upload it, even zipped it is over 5 Kb---I'll ty to post it as a parasolid file, zipped up.

Attached Files: