Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 chevy straight axle gasser pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Nov 13, 2005.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

there were a few picture post about a month ago and i havent been able to find them, one was a straight axle 39 chevy from the 60's , had a ford axle and everything under the front was chrome. anybody remember seeing this post?

2. yah, it was my post here it is -and a few more :D

Attached Files:

3. Gasserdriver

Gasserdriver

Now your talking, this is what I like to see all these old pics of 37,38,39 chevy gassers. I had a 39 chevy gasser I was going to try and bring back in the middle 90's that I have pics of and will try to post.

Thanks for the memories, Fred

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    This former record holding gasser was later turned into a beautiful street rod.(with a SBC) Harry and his wife were fixtures at all of the mid -Atlantic shows in the 80's and 90's. Also notice the tags. A real drive it to the track, race it and drive home hot rod.

I don't mean to high jack the thread but Harry deserves to be remembered. His wife has passed away and last I heard he wasn't doing too well.

Another local 39 Chevy gasser that was featured in the little pages and became pretty famous was Bob Bernardens "Jolly Dolly"

I had a 38 Chevy coupe that was an ex-gasser back then. It had 4" blocks between the springs and the axle to get the gasser stance. 37-39 Chevy coupes were real popular gassers in the early sixtys.

5. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

worst thing that could ever happen to a 39 chevy!

6. Sorry to hear about Harry and his wife , time passes ,its those guys that got us to where we are now , and the current resurgence of these cars is a fitting tribute to them I have pics somewhere of the "JollyDolly" car, I have a PILE of em ,35-40, no secret that my dream car of the moment/decade is a 35-40 chevy coupe,I've had a few over the years , now want one AGAIN :rolleyes: a few more ?
    theres a neat little 36 on egay right now - last 2 are of the egay one :D

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

this one, it says "jolly dolly" on the door, from 1962 hot rod mag yearbook

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's the car. It was a SBC back then. Later he went BB. His son still has the car and he shows it from time to time.

For the old timers. One of the trophys that he proudly displays with the car is the Sturdevant (sp?) award. It was a very prestigeous award for engineering I think. A gold plated beam style torque wrench (that's what they made) mounted on a wood plaque. Pretty heady stuff back then. Only the best got the award.

9. squirrel

squirrel

the other pics show that the car was very well done. had a Ford style rear with quick change!

10. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

This 40 appears to be the same car, taken at Indy last year...any info?

CC

11. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Still a fine loking car...

CC

12. squirrel

squirrel

neat...in the 62 pic it still had the IFS in it

13. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

The worst thing would be to let them rot away.. all old cars don't have to be customs, 37 & 39 Chevys make great looking Gassers. JMHO

CC

14. I have about 10 pics of that car ,old n new, its an orig suvivor still being raced ,not sure if it still in its builders hands or not though

15. 2manybillz

2manybillz

This is from the mid '60s, guy I used to race with out of PA, Eddie Hildebrandt.

Attached Files:

16. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Lace & panel paint ... pre-billboard race cars... nice chop also.

CC

17. Mutt

Mutt

Here's some from Gasser Wars .....Buy the Book.......

The Jolly Dolly shot is Indy, 1961.

Mutt

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That sounds like the green one that was at the Harrington rod run the last couple of years. No I never saw it in it's hay day. I wasn't a track regular by any means but we would go a few times a year. Cecil co. was an hour and a half drive for us but I was there a few times.

FWIW 2 weeks ago was the last race at 75 & 80 raceway in Urbana Md. I spun a rod bearing there once in a 383 Chrysler that was powering my 38 coupe on a Wed. test and tune night that our club made into an outing. It looked just like the black 38 above but no lettering.

19. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Best thing that ever happened to a 39 chevy, This is how they were suppose to look, just my 2 cents

20. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I wouldn't mind having any of those parked in my garage next to mine. I'm not so sure of the SUPPOSED to be gasser statements though...

21. Snarpeezel

Snarpeezel

A little info as requested...

This '40 Chevy is owned by Gary Blasey of Clifton, IL. It is currently driven by his son Brian (since 2001). Interesting and disgusting fact: This car was purchased by Gary in 1958 for $7.50...

Pic from the 2005 NHRR...

Attached Files:

22. epinut

epinut

What kind of wheels does "Jolly Dolly" have up front?

Attached Files:

23. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thanks..

CC

24. 6-71

6-71

I could be mistaken, but I beleive I have a magazine article featuring Jolly Dolly, and it had an Inline 6 at that time. Am I dreaming or has anyone else seen this.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think so. C/G would indicate a V8

Harry Peapers H/G looked very similar and had the 6 (a national record holder for H/G for a while)

26. dragwillys

dragwillys

i think this car is for sale in p.a...i got to see if the guy still has it?....phil

Attached Files:

27. squirrel

squirrel

The 1962 article I have shows an injected small block....held the 1960 record of 13.17 at 107 in C/G

I suppose it's possible that it had a different engine at some time, it appears he changed the car around quite a bit....be neat if you could find that article.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Doesn't that sound slow by todays standards?:) It's amazing the things we've learned over the last 45 years.

29. Mutt

Mutt

December '61 HRM. The wheels are Americans. The engine was 276ci to begin with.

Mutt

30. 6-71

6-71

I checked the hot rod yearbook, and I must have got the car mixed up with Jerry Haley's awsome gmc powered 33 plymouth that was featured in the same book. My memory isnt what it used to be. They are both great cars that stir memories of "the good old days" . I think that tires are probably the biggest factor in the speed and elapsed time of those days. a lot of those old slicks were harder than woodpecker lips. and not nerely as wide as todays tires.