Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36DD - (My Double Duty 3-window build.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Well, this is a little embarrassing... I can't believe it's been 6 months since I posted any progress!
    Still having ongoing issues with my shoulder, so by the time I've puddled around during the day trying to keep my business alive, I don't seem to have the inclination to get out in the garage at night.:(

However I have managed to fabricate an exhaust system that I'm reasonably happy with (version #3:rolleyes:)

I started off by making up some 'traditionally' shaped flanges, in a similar style to my header plates.

exhaust3.JPG

exhaust21.jpg.JPG

I've always liked the sound of a big single system running through a 'turbo' style muffler (never been a fan of the split twin pipe 'rasp') so I bought the longest stainless oval muffler I could find and set about feeding two pipes back to a common inlet.

Another pet hate of mine is an exhaust that is visible in side profile, and with this frame sitting so low, the only place to go was thru' the frame rails.

exhaust1.JPG

exhaust25.jpg.JPG

Attached Files:

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Slow progress is better than no progress at all..

Keep chipping away at it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Amen to that! (Mine moves ahead at glacial speed too..)
    Nice job on the exhaust!

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi SS.Love the thinking on the exhaust system.Looks good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Just found this thread....inspirational....thanks for putting this up...I just got my five window coupe a week ago...bob in UK

6. Thanks Leo

Got a similar layout in my '63 Nova with a built 327, and it sounds just plain nasty!:D
    So I figured if I followed the same theme, but quietened it down a bit with a longer muffler, I should have a nice compromise between badass hot rod and smooth custom.;)

I originally planned to run a 2 1/2" pipe down the left side, and bring the right hand pipe across under the oil pan (version 1), but when I put a finned pan on there was no room to move, then I started bringing another primary down the right side, but it was too big to snake around the pedals (#2), so I ended up redoing it all in 2 1/4".:rolleyes:

exhaust5.JPG

Everything is 'cut and pasted' from u-bends and straight pipe.

Then I brought the right side pipe across behind the trans.

exhaust14.JPG

This required ovalling a couple x-member holes for clearance, and to be able to thread the flanged sections through the frame for final assembly.

exhaust10.JPG

In order to join the two pipes together, I made up a y-pipe, stepping up to 2 1/2" to handle the combined volume.

exhaust17.jpg.JPG

exhaust16.jpg.JPG

I used stainless from the y-pipe back, mainly 'cos I already had some in that size, and the muffler is stainless too. Everything is gonna' get coated eventually anyways.

exhaust19.jpg.JPG

The tailpipe is going to have to come later, once I receive and test fit my gas tank that I ordered from Drake around 12 months ago:(.

Meanwhile, I made sure that the cross pipe sat exactly level from behind, 'cos that's the only piece of the whole system anybody is ever gonna' be able to see when its finished, and even then they will have to be laying flat on the ground under the rear end to get a glimpse!:rolleyes:

exhaust23.jpg.JPG

Bear:)

7. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

Great workmanship as always, going to be a very cool ride.
    Cheers Steve.

8. daddylama

daddylama

that is a beautiful looking exhaust. those are the kinda details i can't get enough of...

what are you doing for hangers?

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nice work, glad to see you back here!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

10. Thanks for all the encouraging words, guys.
    I've got a bit more progress to post, but that will have to wait for a couple of days. Heading out of town in the morning for another shoulder surgery :eek:, so it looks like I'll have plenty of computer time over the coming weeks...:(

11. Thanks for the comments - I love the detail stuff too! In this case I probably should be concentrating my efforts on stuff that is actually gonna' be seen, but I guess at least I'll know what's under there.:rolleyes:
    I haven't thought too much about hangers yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a parts store rubber strap.:D

Outback likes this.
  12. I set myself a deadline of getting the chassis down off the frame table and setting on the floor, with the body mocked up, before I came over to the L A Roadster Show. I figured it would be good to check all the clearances and make sure everything fit as it should, in case there were any major changes necessary which might require additional parts shopping in the US.:D

GEDC1995.JPG

GEDC2016.JPG

GEDC2012.JPG

GEDC2014.JPG

Building on a frame table is great for keeping everything square and centered, and dialing in rake, axle clearances etc., but there's nothing like setting a frame down on its wheels to get a feel of how low it's gonna' really sit!

Outback likes this.
  13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

It looks amazing sitting on the floor!

14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

15. woodbox

woodbox

Ain't nuttin like "feet on the floor" Lookin Great Bear!

16. That looks sooooooooo good Bear!

17. Life gets in the way...no shame in that!

18. Sure does, and right now it's getting worse!
    Had another shoulder surgery last week which has put me back in a sling for another 6 weeks, so there goes any progress on the coupe in the near future.:mad:

I did manage to get the body and floor mocked up on the frame before I went to the US however, so I can now spend some of my recovery time contemplating the next stages of the build.

GEDC2025.JPG

I had to relieve the lower section of the firewall slightly to clear the bellhousing - will give it a bit more clearance eventually, but took out the bare minimum to check the fit.

GEDC2024.JPG

Clearance around the firewall seems about right...

GEDC2022.JPG

GEDC2023.JPG

And everything seems to clear real nice around the rear end and trans tunnel areas.

GEDC2030.JPG

I'm pretty happy with the way it's working out, considering this is the first time the body has been near this frame.

19. woodbox

woodbox

We need a banana for scale in that last shot under the car!

20. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Looking awesome bear, it's guna be low ,I feel sorry for any possums on the roads you travel,
    On another note , just saw the pic with your brake m/c, same as mine ,I'm using two outlets as per normal (front and rear) that leaves two spare ,so I'm using one of the spare outlets to put the brake light pressure switch into ,this just cuts down cutting into the brake line and more joiners ,plus the wiring should be closer to the main loom , I just spun up a brass banjo and tapped a 1/8 NPT thread into the side of it ,got a banjo bolt and copper washers from the local diesel pump repair shop

21. Thanks PJ, it does sit nice and low, but it's still got the regulation 4 inches of ground clearance right thru' (except for the tires of course :D).
    I've actually already made provision on my brake pedal linkage for a mechanical switch, only 'cos I like the 'advance warning' you can give with that type, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I'm probably going to need to make up a heat shield to mount on the right hand side of my master cylinder, to deflect some of the exhaust heat.

Cheers, Bear:)

22. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Fryrtttcdgntdtdgfvdyftbut

Sent from my LG-AS730 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. ????????????????

24. Side profile shot.
    As I suspected in my first post, the 7.00-16 is just a bit too much tire for the rear wheel arch.

GEDC2028.JPG

I need to change them out for a 6.50-16, then I think I'll have it exactly where I want it. Would be a shame to do all that work to the frame, only to have suspension travel limited by the fender clearance.:rolleyes:

Outback likes this.
  25. Roupe

Roupe

Looks perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Thanks Roupe!

So I went off over to the LA Roadster Show, shopping list in hand. Top of the list, a pair of 6.50-16 Firestones.
    Ran into another Kiwi over there who lives a couple hours drive from me, (one of around 300 who attended LARS) and happened to mention what I was shopping for. Turns out he had a pair of 6.50s, and was keen on stepping up to some 7.00s. So once we got back I peeled mine off the rims, and we did the swap when I travelled away to get my shoulder surgery. Thanks Surtz!:D

Then, with the help of a buddy back here, we chucked them on and mocked everything up with the fenders and running boards.

GEDC2602.JPG

I couldn't be happier with the stance - it's got 2" clear travel to the frame at both ends, 4" ground clearance right thru', and I might even be able to turn the front wheels!;)

All the careful measuring has paid off.

Here's the original mockup I did a couple of years ago...

stance1.jpg

And here's where it sits at actual ride height as of now...

GEDC2607.JPG

So.... That's the stance nailed.:cool: All that's left to do is everything!:rolleyes:

Outback likes this.
  27. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Looks fantastic. Love your build.

28. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Cant be better ! , just a top notch job.
    Keep it up Mate !

Surf City likes this.
  29. Great work, stance is spot on.

30. frognz

frognz

just seen this post now, that thing is super cool ! well done Bear.

Surf City likes this.