Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 Plymouth Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by intheweeds48, May 4, 2015.

1. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

DCP_0001.JPG DCP_0002.JPG Hey Guys; Thought maybe I'd share this build with you all. I found this guy in a junk yard last year and was told about a 37 Chevy he had in another one of the owner's yards. Being that the preferred type of car to build is a Chevy or Ford, I kind of put this car in the back of my mind and tired to get the yard owner to show me the Chevy. It hasn't happened yet, however; when a friend told me that there was someone else seriously looking at the Plymouth, I decided maybe I should build this guy, so I bought it.

One of the deciding factors in buying this Plymouth was not so much as someone else was serious about it, is that I saw my step father all over this car. It brought back a lot of memories of his tutelage about doing the mechanic to building a car. The guy was a ad vide Mopar nut and he gave me his cherished 57 Plymouth 4 door Savoy. That was back in the day. So I'm doing this build in his memory.

When I found the car it was screaming take me home and make me whole again. I was thinking a frame off restoration. The only thing missing from the car besides the rusted out floor boards was the radiator and some missing trim molding, of course the seats were gone too. So in my research I discovered a couple of things, one; there just aren't a lot of 36 Plymouths out there let alone parts for them and , two; the going sell price for a 36 Plymouth restored to spec is way less than what it will cost to build it.

So this is the direction I'm going to take it. I have a 64 426 wedge that's been setting on my engine stand since the early 90s and an A727 tyranny with a couple of converters. The 426 will be a squeeze to do but it can be done. I'm going to try and not mod too much stuff and keep the OEM appearance. I do like the look of the car. I will keep the front straight axle but add disc brakes. Keep the suspension as stock as possible with the exception of a 8 3/4 rear axle. The goal is to use all Mopar parts. The instrument panel is in pretty good shape and will be used.

I've attached some pictures of my ride. The first few are of it as I found it. The last few are as it looks now after a couple of weeks. Seeing as this car had sat where I found it for 60+ years the bolts of the stuff that I've disassembled are coming out without too much breakage. I've only snapped a half dozen so far. All four corners were crunched up some. As I took stuff off they got reshaped to what I think they should be. The next think to do is a good sand blasting and a coat of epoxy primer and then little bondo. Don't like using a lot of this stuff so the reshaping of the metal takes some time.

Anyway, I'll try and keep this post updated as I get further into the project. And thanks for he read.

Attached Files:

2. Helloosination

Helloosination

My Dad has a very nice 36 Coupe and has several parts for these vehicles. i know for sure he has a very nice set of all four fenders, running boards, and a very repairable grille. Plus, he has many odds and ends.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 1959apache

1959apache

4. Good to see a mopar with mo-parts.Should be fun.

5. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Thanks for the reply Helloosination. This is a P2 sedan, would those fenders work on my ride? I would be interested in what your Dad has as far as parts not to mention his expertise on his coupe. Maybe we could do a pm and discuss it? And a picture or two?

6. front fenders will work and it is a P-2 model since it has trunk and speedometer is the light color instead of black. the front suspension called " rigid revere elliot" isn't what i would keep even with the disc upgrade! i have been messing with 1936 plymouths since 1976 and love them, great score! i have been looking for this exact model since i outgrew my P-2 coupe by adding 3 grandkids to the family!

7. Looks like a good project,I've got a few 36 parts. What part of Kansas are you from

bct likes this.
  8. Helloosination

Helloosination

You can call him at 517-596-2616.

chryslerfan55 and bct like this.
  9. Nice car. And the idea of an all Mopar Mopar is very refreshing.

10. scotts52

scotts52

36 Plymouth is one of may favorites. I think almost all cars in 36 were exceptional.

11. cometman98006

cometman98006

My dad had a 36 more door that we drove from Seattle to Des Moines Iowa and back in 1941 when I was 3. Never thought of one as a hot rod back in the day but have seen 3 or 4 really good looking ones recently. Good luck with yours.

12. BobPer

BobPer

I have bunches of parts for the 36's also. Check out my HAMB album. I can also send you a invitation to my Flickr picture album that shows all the floor and patch panel fabrication I had to do on my current 36 coupe (see avatar). You can PM me with you regular email address for me to send the invitation to. Overall you found a real beautiful project, I too have always liked the 2-dr's, but only have coupes and 4-dr's. It will be great to see this project move forward. Bob

13. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Thanks 2deuces64 it has been fun so far. This build is my 1st frame off build. It seems to be going well so far. I live in Hutch, So. Hutch to be exact.

55 dude I thought the fronts would work. Yeah the front suspension is going to be tricky, especially with the added weight of the 426. But I still would like to keep it stock. Perhaps a heavier spring assembly and a shock set up.

Thanks again Hellooisnation, I will give him a call. This week end probably.

Thanks everyone for the good words. I will be looking for some rims and tires today. Back to the junk yard again. Need to get him off the trailer and into my shop. This guy has been setting so long that the front drums have rusted to the brake pads. But the back drums seem to want to roll, just need to unbolt the drive line. looks like the tranny is rusted together. It's going to be difficult to get him rolling again but I'll get it done.

14. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

So deuce, what kind of parts you got?

15. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Sorry about the delay but have had some health issue to deal with this past month and a half, all better now. Anyway, I finally got my car to roller status. That was a load of fun, no really, working on this ride is as simplistic as it gets. No metric stuff, no plastic, just straight forward nuts and bolts. Love it. So today it's off the trailer and in the shop. Have had the rear fenders sand blasted and pound out the dinks or should I say the crumpled up folds. In that process I did rip the sheet metal a bit, so I'll need to put them back on before I weld up the rips. Now it's time to get it down to the frame. Speaking of doing that, I will not b using the stock drivetrain. I'd like to find a home for it where it can be restored and used in another ride. If anyone is interested, let me know. Haven't tried to turn the motor yet, need to get some wd 40 in the cylinders first. Obviously the rear end turns, axles look clean and solid. Trans is locked up in neutral it seems. There is oil, old oil, in everything. Engine is complete from oil bath air cleaner to drain plug on oil pan. It also has the old style oil filter attached to the firewall. It's amazing that the engine is as completely untouched for as long s it has sat in the junkyard. It still has the spark plug wire separator still on it.

Back at it tomorrow, thanks for the read. Later.

16. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I believe a '36 Plymouth is very similar to a '36 Dodge. I was able to squeeze this 331 into my '36 Dodge, the wedge should fit. I kept all stock front suspension, mine only dropped down 1" from the weight of the hemi on stock springs and shocks. I put a disk brake kit on the stock spindles, stops great. I kept the stock steering gear box, but I did slide it back 6" on the frame, made a new mount and lengthened the drag link, shortened the stock column.

Have fun, it looks like a fun project! HEMI DODGE.jpg

17. Gotta love that grill. Great project...

18. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Thats a nice motor! I would love to have one of those:rolleyes:

PA Gas likes this.
  19. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Well, I soaked the cylinders down with some WD 40 and it didn't turn but then I really didn't try all that hard. All the components are there and the way things are coming apart I'd say the were all rebuild able. The generator spins so I'll bet it can be rebuilt and used, same goes for the carb, starter, fuel pump, starter and so on. So maybe some one out there could use some of these parts? I'd be willing to sell anything on this engine. Rather do that than take the engine out to the scrap yard. I have added some pics that I took last week but it's a little cleaner now, I was hoping to have it out by this weekend but started to get the rust off the body. When I get a ways with that I'll do more pics.

Attached Files:

20. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

36DodgeRam: Very nice and nice tuck job. Your clean install is what I'm looking for with my ride. Frame horns look to be configured the same as my ride as does the front fender brackets but my lights mount to the top of my fenders. You have a nice ride, I hope mine turns out as good.

21. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. The best thing about old MoPars are their owners; they are the most brand loyal people I've ever met. you go to a rod run around here and look under the hood of an old Ford you're as likely to see a sbc as you are a Ford motor. But you look in an old MoPar like this one it's almost always a Chrysler mill, and often it's something unique like an old 413 or a red ram, even the occasional /6. This is gonna be a good one- good luck!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Looking forward to this build! Love the fact that you're putting a 426 in there. Tight fit, but doable I think.

24. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

1936 Plymouth 5 Window was my first car. Back when MustangII front susp. was just coming around. I took a Pinto stock crossmember and have to cut it in half,then add 2 5/16" to it and weld it back together. Welded it in the car with a stick welder. I cut the threaded part of a tie rod end off and got some allthead to lenghten the pass. side in the rack. All stock pinto parts. I did make the brackets to attatch the stabilizers to the frame at the rear. We drove that car for years and miles with no trouble with the parts.I even tried Chevette coils once but they were too soft. It handle the best of any car I have driven...

25. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Nice build farmerl2, lots of detail and ideas, for me, very informative. This build is my first complete one, have done some prefab bolt on's. A couple of drag cars but nothing like this project is. Thanks for the tut and keep up the good work. I'll be watching.

So I've been busy taking things apart. I did a little sanding on the body. The pics are showing the sanding job and the coating that's left over once the rust treatment has dried. I did that in about 6 hours, using 60 grit paper. You spray down a full strength solution I got from Summit and wait a specified about of time then rise off with some water. It leaves the powdery coating which seems to stop the rust from coming back for at least 30 days. Its zinc phosphate. Since then I've started to get things disassembled. All the windows are out and their regulators working. All the interior window trim came off intact. Got the front windshield to crank out and in and then removed it. Looks like the windshield window will be the only window I'll have to replace. Cleared out the rusted out floor, rather what little was left of it. While doing that I learned that the trans isn't froze up as I had thought, shifts into all the gears without a hitch. Currently working on the steering column removal so I can finish taking out the dash panel. My goal is to get this project's exterior in epoxy be the end of August. After that I will be doing the mechanical into the winter.

To be continued.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Turbo57 and waxhead like this.
  26. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Just a progress update. Got about 90% of the car in epoxy primer. Basically the exterior is all in primer (1st coat). All the fenders and dash panel are primed up. My friend next door sand blasted three of the fenders and the dash while I sanded off one of the fenders. Hand sanding has given me an opportunity to know the car better and showing me what needs to get more attention. I've moved into the interior and am working on getting as much of the rust remove as I possibly can. The plan is to coat the parts that won't be seen with por 15 and get the rest in a primer. Have expanded my tool inventory as well as getting parts that are missing or broken or needing repaired. I cut the line from the heat gauge to the engine so I've sent the gauge to Bob's Speedometer repair to get rebuilt. I also ordered the rear lower deck panel from The Plymouth Doctor. When that gets here I'll be able to weld up the sheet metal, get the rear fenders back on, get it cleaned up and ready for body work. I've recently purchased an edelbrock torker intake manifold for the 426 wedge, rear truck lid hinges and ordered an instrument cluster. Looking for a 8 3/4 rear axle assembly from a 64 to 70 b body mopar. Just need to move the spring perches out a few inches and it should fit just right. The plan for this winter is to get the engine and drive line mocked in and maybe installed, get the suspension upgraded, get the upgrade brakes mocked in. Primarily get the car ready to roll and then next spring start getting it ready to fire up and drive. Until then there is plenty of rust still needing to be addressed.

The pictures that are attached show the progress I've made so far as well as a comparison of the right side interior that is still carrying rust to the left side that I've been working on.

Attached Files:

27. Hey in the weeds 48 Great Progress!! the inner door panel looks Great Thank you for the update. I have been using a Por15 by the gallon it seems I hope to have mine possibly running by spring. To bad we are not closer it would be fun to get together and work on these. Jim

28. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Thanks Jim, the doors seem to be cleaning up pretty good. The weather is suppose to warm the next couple of weeks, so I've switched plans and will be pulling the drive train and mocking up the 426 in it's place. Yes I think the commute would be a bit far but a fun idea just the same. I forgot to mention in the update that I picked up a replacement truck lid. Had to, there was just too much work in the original. Jerry

29. Thats going to be a smoking ride good find on the replacement trunk lid Jim

30. 41Stude

41Stude

intheweeds48, your car is solid. It didnt look that good from the initial pictures. My coupe body was pretty rough but I always wanted an open wheeled hot rod so it was perfect. I am still working on it. Dropped an 07 SRT8 6.1 Hemi in it. Wanted something different. Keep the pictures coming. Love the progress and the fact that your doing most of it is awesome.