Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 1951hudson

1951hudson

I know that Snyders used to carry them for the Model A's .. Hopefully they still do considering I need a set for my car still!

2. Kustom.Falcon and firepilot like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

4. After picking the motor up on Friday I took it to the shop and put it on a stand. Saturday morning I went in and sanded the block and masked it off for paint. The oilpan on the merc was a center sump and I needed a rear sump so I took the pan off of the 8RT motor and blasted it clean and prepped it for paint. After priming I painted the pan and block maroon to match the body. After the clear tacked up I demasked the heads and front cover and headed home.

Kustom.Falcon and firepilot like this.
  5. Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  6. After installing the pan I set the engine on a tire and pulled the plate off the back of the engine and started installing the flywheel. Milkweed showed up and helped me get the bellhousing and water pumps installed then we set the motor in the frame and hooked the trans up and bolted everything up. I installed the distributor and water necks then set the intake in place. A little more assembly and I will be ready to install the body on the frame.

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

Congratulations Kipp on your major achievement. Yours is going to be a very significant example of how a traditional Hot Rod should be constructed and appointed. You must be already beginning to feel the rewards. The Awards are soon to follow.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  8. Continuing to be an inspiring build. I dig your attention to detail and wish that I had that kind of patience!

9. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Kip:
    We are all rooting for you. The engine looks great.Perfect for a fine trad Hot Rod. Thanks. TEB

10. Thanks KB. The body will get installed this weekend then things will begin to move along quickly.
    Thanks. Im told I am impatient when I get moving on a project.

Thanks.

11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if your exhaust system is done or not, but this is a great time to install the exhaust while the body is off. And if it is going to be fabricated ,it takes 1/2 the time to do it with the body off as opposed to doing a car that is all together. Much easier to attach mounts, etc. And you may have this all under control already. Motor looks great by the way. Keep up the great work.

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I checked the garage and couldn't find one.

Speedy Canuck and TagMan like this.
  13. That's a sexy flattie Kipp!

14. daddio211

daddio211

15. I would think it would be better before installing the body also but my friend who is a exhaust and tubing wizard wants the body on first. He is worried about clearance of the floor so I will let him do it his way. He snaked 2.5" allthe way out the back on my Pontiac and it dosent hang below anywhere came out beautifull.

16. Did you look in all the corners?

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  17. Thanks Ryan.
    I know right!

daddio211 likes this.
  18. Kustom.Falcon and firepilot like this.
  19. I installed all the castle nuts on the chassis. Drilled the new spring bushing shafts for cotter pins and installed the clutch linkage. Most all of the hardware on the chassis is original to the car that has been either black zinc or chrome plated. With most all of the chassis buttoned up I still needed to install the rear bumpers but they were a little taller than I wanted so I reshaped them and made them about 3/4" shorter. Aparently I dident redrill the mounting holes after I c notched the frame so I had to drill the frame. With the bump stops drilled I installed the stops the rear shocks arms and link's. Then I used a little spray adhesive to hold all the frame welting and rubbers in place. With the frame buttond up she is ready for the body to be installed.

Kustom.Falcon, bct and firepilot like this.
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

None of your pics show up with the HAMB app??

21. I know. Sadly I dont see them or a lot of other peoples pics with my hamb app either.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Did you try deleting the app then reinstalling it? I had problems with pictures with mine until I reinstalled it. Worth a try, car looks awesome it's just pure class!

23. I haven't tried a reinstall. If I want to see something I cant I have to wait until I get home and use my lap top. Thanks for the compliments.

24. I had been waiting to cut the floor for the overdrive to clear but I couldent put it off any longer so I measured for location and then bit the bullet and started cutting. A few minutes with a cut off wheel and I had a hole in my nice finished floor. Once the hole was finished I masked the bottom of the car sanded and washed it off. Then I sanded and washed the floor and tail pan inside. It was now time to spray bed liner over the por-15.

Kustom.Falcon and daddio211 like this.
  25. Sunday morning the bed liner was dry so it was time to lift the body over to the frame. I left the outboard pockets that support the B pillers off the frame and bolted a chain to the floor on each side through the mounting holes at the B pillar. With a set of spreader chains hung from the hoist in the ceiling I lowered them through the roof and set a spreader bar in two of the chains and wrapped the floor chains over the ends of the bar. I started lifting the body and it was a little nose heavy so I hooked the other chains to the front of the floor. I adjusted the chains until she lifted level. I rolled the dolly out from under the body and rolled the chassis under and started to set her down onto the frame.

26. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Wow I'm so excited to see the body on the frame. Looks fantastic.

27. It's time to roll her out for a good look. The color looks much closer to her true shade in the sunlight. While outside I spun her around and backed her back in to the garage. A close up of the coul with the welting and rubber bumpers installed. Now its time to assemble the 39 stearing box and attach the 36 shaft and tube.