Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. greaser

greaser

Anxious to see those assembly pictures Kipp! .... You're killin us here!!

2. She is coming along slowly. She will move a little quicker once the new engine is togeather and installed.

3. Sunday I decided to roll the body outside and pull the motor to get ready for the new one. I put the engine on a stand pulled the intake and then I rolled it in the corner. With the engine out I rolled the frame back in the rear of the garage. When john cut and polished the body he dident do the firewall. The more I looked at it the more it bugged me so while the body was outside and being that it was almost seventy out instead of the normal thirty degrees that it usualy is this time of year I sanded the fire wall with 1200 and then 3000 and now she is ready to polish.

4. That maroon is just perfect! You said that it was a solid, non-metallic (I think); is it a Ford color, or something else? My 40 would look good in that.

5. Thanks. It is a solid that I picked out of a card of about 30 maroons. It is very close to forty ford maroon and would look great on your forty.

6. While I have the engine out I thought I should address the generator bracket. The power gen is a little bigger around than the original and the band isnt long enough. I looked at several solutions and decided on lengthening the pivot side of the main mount. I needed one and a half inches so I took a piece of two by half inch flatbar and cut it two and a half inches long and then I split it to one and a half inches. Then I cut the ears off the mount and beveld the edges of the pieces to prepare for welding. I then put the gen in the mount and tacked the mount then removed the gen and welded the mount solid. After welding I ground the mount smooth of welds and casting lines. Looking at the mount I decided to send it off for chrome so I smoothed it a little more. While I am chroming the mount I might as well send the fan with it.

Kustom.Falcon and daddio211 like this.
  7. farmer12

farmer12

WOW! I've just spent an hour reading through the whole build thread and all I can say is WOW! Amazing metal skills! Love the colour! Keep up the awesome work!

8. I´m really jealous of you Kipp.Having friends as a painter and chromer makes carbuilding a lot easier. Over here chroming is the thing that will brake the bank,even if you polish your self it´s too damn expensive.

9. Thanks a lot. She is finaly coming togather.
    The original plan was to really only have a lot of chrome inside the cab but I have gotten carried away a little. Hopefully between customer cars you can get a little time on your 36.

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When I built my '38 Coupe beginning in '59 I had every metal piece that I could remove from the inside chromed. The total cost was $100 dollars. My brother had paid $15 for the running car and given it to me. The complete black tuck and roll upholstery job was done for $60 in TJ in '61, my 16th birthday present from my dad. My how things have changed.:eek:

11. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Your car looks great! The chrome looks great too! The time and effort you've put into this car really shows!

12. I think I owe my first born for my chrome bill. And I don't want to even think about the interior.
    Thanks. Now if I can get her finished without to many more set backs!

13. Yesterday I was adjusting the clutch arm on the tranny to line up correctly with the pedal assembly when I got a phone call. One of the lifter boars is giving Larry trouble so back to the machine shop with the block. I will find out Monday if I have a big problem or not.
    Today I polished the firewall then I took the dash out and color sanded it as I was polishing the glove box door I dropped it on to the dash and put a nice chip in the paint right above the insterment cluster. So now I had to fix the chip and sand the dash with 400 so I can re paint it.
    Two steps forward three steps back.
    Hopefully next week is a little more productive.

14. Happens to us all . No sense beating yourself up about it , just turn the page and carry on . the car looks good . It wears the Maroon well !!

15. Dusted off and moving forward again.

16. Last night I stayed late at the shop and repainted the dash. While I was at it I painted the heater housing to match the car. I want over to Tim's shop to look at the block with Larry. Even though the lifter boar had a bad scar well over 75% was in good condition and the lifter was actually quite tight so I decided to run her as is. I don't think it will be a problem.
    Today my seat belt's came. And I picked up a batch of bolts that has been black zinc plated and dropped off another batch. Most all of the bolts on the car are original bolts either chromed or black zinc. Hopefully a few more steps forward tomarrow.

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If there is nothing sticking up to gaul the lifter and the lifter is a good fit in the bore it should be fine, more room for oil.:) I like the black zinc bolts. Is that expensive and where is it done?

18. Quality plating in Salt Lake plated them. I have a friend with a friend so I am not sure of the cost but they sure come out nice.
    The lifter actually felt very solid and smooth in the boar so I think she will hold up just fine. Only time will tell.

19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Always love seeing your thread show up in my subs! Lovely work, Maroon looks great!

20. This is all you got done? Im telling milkweed.

Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  21. Thanks. Glad you enjoy her.
    Still waiting on the flatty. Hopefully this week. I am trying to not make her too heavy to lift back on the frame.

22. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, Have you gotten scuff plates sorted out for your car yet. I'm on a quest for some for mine but none of the sources have them anymore. Discontinued. I do have an old pair of 5 window plates that are some never installed NOS plates that I want to use as barter stock for a nice pair of 3 window or Tudor plates. Do you have any ideas. I'll hold in obedience for your response. Meanwhile I'm fighting re-assembly of the fender/grill/ hood alignment. Amazing how a few mils of paint can move things an 1/8th of an inch!
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

23. @kippers 34, where did you find the seat belts? The coupe is looking great!

24. Thanks. I got them off e bay. I can get you contact info if needed

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. That would be great @kippers 34!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  26. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Telekenfun what is a scuff plate ? I've never heard of those before. Is that the little plate that goes on the floor of the door jamb?

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to answer for Telekenfun , but you are correct. Also called sill plates.

28. telekenfun

telekenfun

Thanks, Baron. Yes they are the trim plate that closes of your floor covering at the door jamb. Replacements were made by Dennis Carpenter, and sold by Drake, Mac's, All Ford and most other vintage Ford suppliers. But for the last year none of the 3 window units for 36 Fords have been available. There are 4 door and 5window plates available still but for how long who knows.

29. I do have a set. I got them from Bob Drake. I think it is odd that no one has any. Good luck on finding a set. Later Kipp.

30. I picked up the pasanger fender and the trunk lid from the paint shop tonight so all the paint is finaly finished. Larry is finishing the top of the motor tomarrow so by the weekend I might have the engine installed.

Kustom.Falcon and daddio211 like this.