Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Ford Truck, Hay Hauler to Hot Rod(Done!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3dnsouth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice work - love the color and the stainless in the bed and the bolts on the rear of the cab.

2. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Nice attention to detail, cool truck!

3. I was really hating those empty holes at ends of the bed sides. I decided I had to do something. So, I took some 7/8" stainless keystock, milled it off, cut grooves for some o-rings, rounded and polished the ends, and slid 'em in there. I actually have the shape fitting better than the second picture. I took 'em out and did a little better shapin', didn't do another pic though. Anywho, you can get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn, the truck looks yellow...and it ain't. This color is something else to try to take a picture of.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

that's a nice touch! Any plans for a bumper or nerf bars? on tap from a 16-year old on her cell phone could make a mess of all that beautiful work. Don't ask me why I know.....!

5. No plans for nerfs or a bumper there Voodoo. I definitely considered them, but I really like it without 'em. I may regret it at some point, hope that day never comes.

6. To clean up the tank sending unit, I found a flange bearing cover that was just the right size. Couldn't believe it. It had about a 1/2" flange all the way around it, but I took the plasma cutter and got rid of that. It polished up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took some coupling nuts and turned 'em to just the right length to set the cap at the right height. Put studs in the bottom of 'em and polished up some stainless button heads for the top. Cleaned up an eye sore for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and Jet96 like this.
  7. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Beautiful truck.!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

BIG WOW!
    This truck has really come together nicely!

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

looks great, and nice job on the details. Impressive stuff

10. Got the glass in it, rollin' up and down, swingin' in and out. Disassembled the regulators while I had 'em out, cleaned up good. Took it back over to my buddy's place to do the exhaust work. He recently got an exhaust pipe machine, so nothin' doin' but give it a go. Here are some 'on the rack' pics.

Oh yeah, put some Dynamat in it to reduce the 'tin can' effect inside. Got it on everything, the roof, the back, the floor, the firewall, in the doors...
    [​IMG]

On the lift... sorry, phone pics (or is it 'sorry phone pics')
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. shadams

shadams

Beautiful truck and awesome work...

12. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Man, that's a NEAT truck!!!!!!! What a great job. Awesome attention to detail.

13. Beautiful truck! I know what ya mean about photographing HOK Solar Gold. I painted a Model Car that color and I could never get a good pic that represented the color correctly.

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome ride! Amazing work.

15. .

Yup, totally missed this one until today...

What an awesome build. Love the truck, love the color.

Congrats on getting her finished up.

16. Russ V.

Russ V.

Just ran across your project....what a totally puss piece. CONGRATS on nailing the look, presenting superb work, and keeping the magic of Hot Rods alive.

Russ V.

17. Thanks for kind words fellas, 'preciate it! I really wanted to get it to the Round Up, but..... just wasn't meant to be. Sure looks like they had some great rides this year.

18. Murphbar

Murphbar

Wow...I love this truck. Great work. That color looks fantastic.

19. Well I bought a older industrial sewing machine a while back, been messin' around on it. I hadn't ever done any sewing, but thought I may want to give it a try for the truck interior. I had an upholsterer do the seat already, didn't wanna even try that on a first time out. I'm hoping I can do the panels. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

AND, since the HAMB rework, I can hopefully skip photobucket and the cussin' that goes with posting pictures. Let's see how this goes....

Gotta start someplace, right. Right or wrong, I started on the headliner and panel above the windshield. Let's try some pics.

Measured and measured, plus a cardboard template or two. Ended up with this.
    DSCN5281.JPG

Gave 'er the ol' test fit.
    DSCN5283.JPG

On to adding a little heat barrier, foam, vinyl, and an interior light.
    DSCN5289.JPG

DSCN5285.JPG DSCN5290.JPG

Then tried my hand at making some piping. Went online and bought some welting feet for the machine. Not to bad to do. I used some small nylon tubing for the core. It was stiff, yet flexible, makes a good straight line.
    DSCN5296.JPG

Then I made up a pleated panel for above the windshield. First time trying some pleats. I sewed them straight down first(from the front), then folded it and sewed again (from the foam side), about 3/16" from the first sewn line. This gave me the hidden stitch look I wanted. I cut the excess fold off so it would lay down better. You upholsterers may be shakin' your head, but it's all I know at this time. Worked for me.
    DSCN5297.JPG

Made up a board to fit. Counterbored where the 808 panel clips go, so the material would lay flat. Cut notches where the seams were, so the material would not be so lumpy on the edge when folded over.
    DSCN5298.JPG DSCN5299.JPG DSCN5300.JPG DSCN5301.JPG
    Some adhesive, some cuttin', some staples. On to the install.
    DSCN5302.JPG DSCN5303.JPG DSCN5304.JPG
    I'm really enjoying this. Sure beats sanding!

20. Damn, that was some easy picture postin'! Photobucket is gonna have one less frequent visitor.:D

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Damn fine lookin' truck man.

22. Cool idea for the split bone holes.alot of work but we'll worth it.

23. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Just freakin cool ! Great work.............

24. redzula

redzula

That upholstery turned out nice. As a novice was it hard to do or just nervous you'd mess something up. I think it'd be fun to try. Looking good

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

this whole project is just off the chart…. so well done….Beautiful

26. L7

L7

I love how you're staying hands on. Looking good!

27. StrickV8

StrickV8

Simply amazed by your many talents! Looks great dude. Can't wait to see the finished product.

28. Looks great!
    I'll keep watching.
    Good Luck!

29. Thanks men, I do appreciate it! I'm still workin'....

redzula - just takin' my time on this upholstery stuff, kinda learn as you go. I practice and read up from folks that have done it. Can't be nervous about it:D.