Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 338ci Y-Block Wrapped Up in '30 Model A Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

[​IMG]

Any similarities are strictly coincidental..........

2. I thought it was more Goober than Huntz Hall, but I guess you're right.. :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

My hero!

4. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Nice "A" Tim. As quickly as you get your projects done, I suppose we can see this in october at Dos Palos? Best of luck, great car.

5. What trany are you useing or did I miss it?

6. C-4. I'm sure it was stated earlier but I don't mind saying it again. :) It will be the same as in the Dragster although I will have a lower stall converter. 2000 I believe.

7. sk8erdave

sk8erdave

looking forward to seeing this progress. looks like you've got some great help :)

8. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool!

Looking good.

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

10. Looks great!! I've been think of someting along the same lines for the next build.
    Very cool.

11. 72IH

72IH

Yea, me too.

Same thoughts on the car also.

12. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

Hey Tim,
    Fellow Y-Blocksforever member here from Australia, aren't they just great, though i've not commented before, I gotta say, along with many others, Well Done Ol Mate! Again, i have watched your videos, the race cars and the tech clips, and you're an inspiration. You're work is first rate. I, just before Chrissy, got my lil Model A Pick-Up (as you see in my avatar) on the road n registered, with a .030 over, Isky Cammed 4/71Blown 292, Sounds awesome n get heads shakin when they realise what's making the great sound. Got an old Altered that is soon to be getting resorted with yet another 4/71 Blown Y-Block. Let ém Run!!!!!!!

13. davo461

davo461

What gorgeous assistants; make a man proud !

14. Scotty, Where are you finding all the 4/71 manifolds? those are like gold around here and hard to find. Your truck looks great.

15. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

scotty, post a video of that Blown 292 running can yu ?

16. Not a lot to report but I heard the body may be back from the sandblaster next weekend. Then we'll start seeing progress. :D

Today I re-cammed Elwoods old 338 Y, cleaded it up and painted it so it's ready to go into the A. I hope to have the C-4 back this week too. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. More stuff while waiting for the body. 16x8 "Cheater Slicks" from Hurst and a 2500 stall converter from Hughes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  18. GO Tim...........

19. Went to the "Bloing Bros. 7th Anniversary Open House" today and droped the engine and trans into my frame. Looks pretty good to me. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derrek puts on a pretty good BBQ too! Lots of folks showed up and lots of burnt dead cow was eaten. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    JalopyJimbo likes this.
  20. Lookin good Tim!!!!!!!!!

21. Now that the first El Mirage meet has come and gone it's time to get some work done on the "A". Derrek picked up the body from the sand blaster yesterday so when I got off work the work began.

The body is in pretty good shape bur as with anything 80+ years old it has a little rot and has been repaired a few times. With most of the metal bare I had to get in there with a wire wheel and take out all the Bondo. there was two patches on the body, some on the firewall and a little on each door. I now have a new hatered for this stuff. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grinding the shit out! What fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now blowing all the sand and dirt out.

[​IMG]

Body ready for primer and all the little pieces laid out. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. This is neat. Love your work. Subscribed. We are y block geeks here too, primarily we use them in our vintage timber speed boats but my son and I are about to start a A model on deuce rails y block powered coupe or roadster project, I'll post a photo soon. I'll shoot you a PM ! H.R.D

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wait a minute, Tim, weren't you the guy saying the only color for a Y Block is red?

:D

Things are shaping up nicely. Can't wait to see the body come along.

24. Got all the pieces primered last night. :D Derrek will fit the body to the frame next and then the chop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derrek took this "high angle" shot so you guys can see my bald spot. :p

[​IMG]

All ready for the next step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I do use a lot of "Ford Red" on my engines but I have also used other colors. The engine in "Jake" is "Rebuilders Grey" wich is kind of a aluminum color. I will be painting Larry's (Blue One) engine Isuzu Cavalier blue, that is his choice. This one is "Antique Ford Green" a color I usually save for Flatheads but I have always liked it.

I did paint a Y-Block this color once before, everyone that saw it asked "what car is that going into? Shoebox? '57 Fairlane? some classic?" It was for a wood chipper. LOL :D

Sorry Brent, that's probably more explaination than you expected. :rolleyes:

26. Ole don

Ole don

Those exhaust ports look "squared away". Do you remove most of the big hump in there as well?

27. For street engines I do mostly a "port match" on the race engines I get a little more aggressive, you need to be careful of water though.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Nope, that was just fine with me. I've got an engine waiting for the McTim treatment and I'd like it to be black so it's good to see you're not steadfast on the colors... I really do like the green though.

29. What do you mean "spot"...................................... now that's funny