Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. after running over a few cones on the way in, we found some stuff at the swop meet. i picked up a couple air filters to cut up to use in the two four air cleaners, some sanding discs, and a couple lights i may add inside the front fenders for "extra" turn signals.
    once i got home the dust-was-a-flyin'.

2. my new vent window regulators arrived today. thanks to @fastrods here on the ham thanks Bill!
    DSCF3946.JPG

3. You must be living right!:cool: Good find, if not imposable. :D

4. he sent them to me before he got my check. nice guy!
    finished sanding the body and running-boards, had a hard time making time with family picnics, mothers day, mowing my dandelions......
    random photos showing nothing i particular; DSCF3947.JPG DSCF3948.JPG

5. volvobrynk and tomkelly88 like this.
  6. "A lot of struggle, wrestling."

7. thanks. i like it.

8. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks I too had no clue.

9. De nada. (You're welcome.) I've been intently following your rebuild and my big contribution is a simple translation. Go figure!:)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. mucho-uhh-primer-o?
    final coat of primer on the body with a green guide coat. DSCF3960.JPG DSCF3961.JPG

bct, TFoch, volvobrynk and 1 other person like this.
  11. my dad had made a bracket to mount the generator up over the valve cover. it bolted to the header but moved the generator inside the hood. he bent a piece of plate and then had it chrome plated. i had switched over to an alternator and at that time the chrome was rusty and flaking so i painted over it black. i decided to make a new bracket out of stainless and polish it to look like chrome. DSCF3965.JPG

12. to bend the stainless plate i decided to make a tool for bending steel in my hydraulic press. i started with some scrap pieces mallomike took out of his scrap pile at work and an old piece of a international A two way plow. I welded the square tubes together and capped the ends with a thick piece of bar. i then welded a rod to the top of another piece of bar and welded the tractor bar across the bottom. DSCF3962.JPG DSCF3963.JPG DSCF3964.JPG

TFoch likes this.
  13. DSCF3966.JPG test piece. now i just need to polish the stainless plate and cut it to size.

14. Looking Good!:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. pumpman

pumpman

Tricky tricky tricky! Neat solution.

16. thanks.

i always wanted to build one, this project forced me to get it done.
    today i started with the chunk of ss plate, it had a "sanded" looking texture so i sanded it with 180 grit, then 320, then 400 then 600, and finally finished sanding with 800 grit. a quick buff and it looked like a piece of mirror. DSCF3970.JPG DSCF3971.JPG DSCF3974.JPG

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. i then cut the piece to width and covered it with blue tape and packing tape, then stuck it in the new press. it is amazing how easy it bends this 1/4" ss. once the holes are drilled and it is trimmed, it should look like it did in the magazines. DSCF3981.JPG DSCF3982.JPG

18. i also sanded the jambs and edges in preparation of some color.
    Was a good day! DSCF3980.JPG

19. pumpman

pumpman

Man, you are one busy boy! Real nice job on the bracket. You're making me feel guilty on the progress (non progress) on my car. Still working on the yard, honey due list.

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. thanks!
    the problem i am going to have is my wife has not stopped adding to the list.......so when i am done............

21. '55 caddy arlington green! this is the color my dad and uncle painted all their cars; DSCF3983.JPG DSCF3984.JPG

Runnin shine, falcongeorge and TFoch like this.
  22. That is the color I remember!:cool: I can't wait to see it all painted. Makes me want to go out and get a 49 rag top!:cool::cool:
    Man I'm all horny:p

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. also started to clean up the aluminum for the firewall. DSCF3985.JPG

24. Jamb' good job, man. :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. i be jambin mon!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Color looks great! Sorry about the mexican wrestler, I just really like your car.:)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. Looking forward to the outcome! Love the color choice :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. pumpman

pumpman

Not a big green guy, but damn that is really really nice! Now for the shinny firewall. Will be watching.