Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. F&J

F&J

From here, the white insert does not look manmade. I almost think it might be sea shell. In my former town of Willington, CT, there was a button factory that made "ivory looking" buttons from huge sea shells that were imported from Australia.

I used to find dump sites in the woods with the remains of these big shells with many round holes cut from a mini hole saw. Those weathered pieces I found, were flaking like your insert.

Ok, so get on Australia ebay, look for a shell, then try to chuck it up in your lathe. ...or not :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Ted, I just remembered what the trade-name was for items made from those shells. It's called "Mother of Pearl".

I wonder if there is still a source of this material, maybe for jewelry or craft work.

It's very cool looking, I have some of those old buttons someplace, and it really does look like pearl. Some have swirl effect, some are pure pearl without any swirl.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

LuthierSupply.com

From their site:

"At this time we have many of the most popular shell blanks at what we believe are the best prices anywhere. We offer Paua Abalone* and White Mother of Pearl, Gold Mother of Pearl as well as Tahitian Black Mother of Pearl and others."

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. If you don't use it you could always whip up some Marinara:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]:cool:

5. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

Ignoring people with opinions like that certainly rubbed off on you, Ted. I'm always impressed with what you pull off, often with very limited or unconventional materials.

6. thanks Frank, that ivory looks a lot like it. the horn button is a thin material with an arch and does not feel like plastic so you could be on to something with the shell.
    tree huggers weren't born yet so it could be ivory.;)

7. now i am hungry

8. thanks Rob, ......and ditto.......

9. does yours look like this one?

10. while it was snowing outside, the project was snowballing inside.......NO MORE DISASSEMBLY, somebody stop me..... DSCF3841.JPG DSCF3842.JPG DSCF3843.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Time to take the body off:rolleyes:

12. NO! thats for you big buck guys.:D

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is this wiring harness out of ? [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. more history! a couple pictures of the car when i first put it on the road. before and after i had it painted; Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 9.53.29 PM.png

gas & guns and volvobrynk like this.
  15. here are pictures of the last time i changed the motor; Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 9.50.12 PM.png Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 9.51.33 PM.png

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Love that first picture in original Caddy green.:cool:

oldcars.acadia likes this.
  17. a photo of the grill shell and new radiator going in. at the time i had hair and wore a 30"-34"........now i'm a 34"-30". Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 9.52.12 PM.png

18. That is not you!:p I was going to ask who is that guy in the pictures:eek:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like that original dark green a lot. Bob

20. that's me!
    and that is the color i am going to repaint it!

21. the last 5 photos are from Mallomikes collection.

22. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Been following your rebuild. Also on the third rebuild of my 31 Chevy. Like the dark green as it may be the same 64 Cad dk green firemist that I painted mine in 1968. Had a gallon of lacquer left so shot a panel and had PPG mix base to match and started repainting the body on my 31 yesterday. Keep on, its looking great.
    Bob

23. thanks, i am doing it the same color my dad had painted it. 55 caddy arlington green. the colors are probably close.
    how are things in maine.....i am do for a trip up there.:)

24. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Still buried in lots of snow. All the plowing and shoveling cuts into the garage time in a big way. If you get to Maine be sure to look me up. I'm in the middle of Acadia National Park.
    Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. Love the vintage pics! Is the single tunnel ram going back on? The snow is going to melt eventually so you better make the turn and start getting it back together :) If you head up to Maine stop and visit New Hampshire on the way by.

26. vintage pics of my of my teen years? ouch!:eek::D:cool:
    no Tom, i am going to run the two four barrel set up that my dad had on it.

27. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

I just wanted too let you know how much I enjoy this thread,I just think it is great that you have this car after all these years.I like how you are doing it and I really enjoy the pictures, your dog is very cool too.

28. glad you are enjoying it!
    i think once the paint is done it should go back together smoothly since i have "pre-fit" everything.

29. finished cleaning all the grease out of the engine compartment and gave it a coat of primer and paint.
    i also cleaned up the welds on the headers and repaired a couple cracks. my dad had them chrome plated, and then i had them chromed when i swopped the motor back in high school but was disappointed by it bluing and getting rusty. i am planning on having the ceramic coated. they have a chrome looking type of coating they say lasts for years. any thoughts? DSCF3844.JPG