Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. after hearing the story of the woman in Florida, Donna wants me to carry when i go out to the barn at night.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. ok, finally finished the dual gauge. assembled the "faces" with 2-56 screws, used my good glasses to see them. i am happy with the look, and wonder why SW doesn't make a dual gauge like this.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  3. sorry about the glare but they are hard to photograph.
    and a shot of the back side.

Attached Files:

4. madmike3434

madmike3434

Smiths instruments from England , who was active at the same time as stewart warner , smith did make a dual gauge.......water temp and oil pressure. Both of them were mechanical. No idea if they made anything else in a dual gauge. I still have it stored away from when I changed all gauges in 96 too classic instruments vintage series

mike lynch :D

5. I like your insturments better than mine. Very cool. Mine are so cal gauges mounted in an upside-down Champion bezel in a 34 chevy standard dash welded to a 34 ford upper dash rail. Goes in a 34 ford car.

Attached Files:

6. i just "google" searched them, and found a set for $14lb:eek::D. i will keep my eyes out for them at the swops, i would like to see one in person, maybe for a future project.

7. thanks Rocky! that dash is great, all the work you did to it, paid off with something unique.

8. madmike3434

madmike3434

just went to ebay usa and there is a bunch of them at prices all over the place. Also look on left side column to see what previous selling prices are for SOLD items.

Appears they changed the look of the gauge over the years 2-3 times. Along with stewart warner the smith gauges were sold at speed shops, where I got mine back in early 70's.

mike lynch :D

9. Nice work on the gauges. You're right SW should make some like that.

10. thanks.
    what's for lunch?:D

11. madmike3434

madmike3434

TFOCH........do you have a build thread going on here for your 1933 Chevrolet master CA series cabriolet gm model 168, fisher body style 33-568.

They built 85 of those in Canada and exported 3 LHD and 3 RHD.

mike lynch..........................:D

12. Sorry Mike no build thread on here.
    Tom

13. test;
    spring!
    made some headway since i towed it out of storage, it moves on it's own and the weather has improved

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. have not had a chance to work on the car, but the upholsterer finished the seat! i am very happy! DSCF2979.JPG DSCF2980.JPG DSCF2981.JPG i know it is not traditional but....i had heated elements installed

15. Seats look Good!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Remove screwdrivers from back pockets. Bob

17. thanks Mark
    good thinking Bob!

18. installed the gauges into the dash, prewired them and put the dash in place. i polished some stainless stove bolts to hold it in.

Attached Files:

19. Now that does looks good:cool:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  20. thanks mark. i finished rewiring the car and i added a few fuses. i replaced the original choke and throttle cables with push pull switches, one for the wipers and the other for the firewall mounted "backup" fuel pump.

Attached Files:

21. i also added a turn signal switch, i had a bunch to choose from and narrowed it down to three, all of which were signal stat 900. one was an older chrome one that needed to be cleaned and polished, the chrome was not too good. i had a nos gray unit still in the box but the gray did not look good so i chose this black unit, it was new, had been installed in a car but was removed and given to me because it did not work. i took it apart and found it had too much grease on the contacts.
    my father and i do not have a problem with hand signaling but todays drivers don't get it.....so i put them in. now i just need some ideas for front lights.
    any suggestions?

Attached Files:

ct1932ford likes this.
  22. heres a shot of the front of the car, i tried a few lights i had from older cars, a set of cab lights and a couple sets of "arrow" aftermarket, vintage turn signal lights. nothing looked right.

Attached Files:

23. Do you have room to put a socket inside you headlight reflector? That is what I did on my roadster and used an amber bulb. Works great and no extra light fixtures.

24. That's what i did for my 33 Master. Keeps the original look.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. The Willy's lights have sealed beams.

26. There's one in every crowd!:oops:

27. Heated seat might get you banned! It's does look great though.

28. DSCF2995.JPG DSCF2996.JPG DSCF2997.JPG
    :eek:! i don't like a lot of fancy stuff on cars, even my service truck is bare bones but i won't upholster a seat without heat units installed. $150 :cool:
    on the coupe, my dad had no heater, and i like the engine compartment without the hoses cluttering up the bay. since the car won't be run in the dead of winter, the seat units [totally hidden] should be enough to take the chill out and allow a longer hot rod season.
    ohhh and no cows were harmed in the upholstery of the seat!:D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    BradinNC, volvobrynk and WillyKJr like this.
  29. I don't know? That looks like the same material.:rolleyes:

30. the seat is in.....comfy! DSCF2999.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.