Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Clutch/brake pedal set up pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jefscoupe, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I've been puzzling over how I need to do my clutch/brake pedals.
    I have a home made frame (2 X 4 tubing) with all the 32 bends, tapers and dims with a tubular X member I bought years ago at a swap meet.
    I had to mod the X member a little to fit the narrower (vertically) rails and I have the old pedals from the car.
    The car had been converted to juice brakes way back when, but I don't know if these were 32 pedals or newer.
    Anyway, I modified them a long time ago. Shortening them to a "modern"...what was it...7:1 ratio(?).
    I welded a stud in the frame for these pedals to pivot on but now they bump the firewall.
    I'm thinking I need to start over on the whole set up.
    Where the top of the arms sit now comes to about the ball of my foot with my heel on the floor (or where the floor will be).
    I need to get this sorted out before I can finish the front floors.
    Pics, comments and advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was to be a plate to run from the pedal shaft (threaded hole) back to the vertical plate in the X member for further support.
    I want to have a toe board similar to original and not have the pedals just sticking straight up out of the floor.
    And I don't want to cut out the firewall for clearance.
    But those maybe my only two choices.
    I can't picture in my mind how it was originally and I'm having trouble finding pics of just this area and how others have done their pedals.
    Oh, hind sight the bane of my existence. Well, that and Streetrodder magazine in the 80s... :rolleyes:

See my build thread and how I got to this point here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696492&page=2

2. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't give any recommendations about fitting them into your new-crossmember-and-firewall situation, but I can tell you those are '32 Ford pedals. Well, they might be early '33's, but it's more likely they are '32's since they are in a '32.

Do a search for 1932 Ford pedals and some should pop up. There's even a HAMBer reproing the whole pedal and mount set.

If you decide those won't work for you, give me a PM please.

3. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I decided to move the pedals back about 2 inches. That's all the room I had.
    They'll be right up in front of the cross member now.
    I still had to cut the firewall though. I'll have to make a little "doghouse" out about 2 inches to cover them.
    Thanks for the search info. I'd done that once a couple weeks ago and got a lot of nothing.
    This time I got several hits I could use.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

'32 and some early '33 pedal ID: See the sort of cross of grooves where the pedal pads will go? That's the key. '32 type pads have ridges on back that locate in those, then a nut on back holds them. All later have flathess there and a threaded hole, pad has stud and spins into place.
    Some BB's will also have that cross groove...I do not know whether they carried them on into later '33 and 4 but would not be surprised if they did. Different pedals and brackets from car/commercial.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Check out Harv117's pedal thread for more ideas....

6. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Thanks guys, I was beginning to get lonely.:D