Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 fuel injection to carb conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rhd, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

anyone know how hard it is to do? i found a real good deal on a motor for the plymouth but its injected
    i dont know what year the motor is im thinking its a mid to early 90's

2. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

3. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

318's went to the magnum heads in 1992. That is when they went to a true 8 injector system as opposed to the throttle body prior to that. If it is the throttle body engine, any 318 intake other than the poly head made in the 60's will work. If it is the magnum motor, they have intakes made for them that will switch it right over. The magnum motors have better heads and I believe they all have roller cams. You will have to run an electric fuel pump on either, unless you want to go in and install the pump essentric on the cam. :D

4. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

ok i found out its a late 80's 318 so i should be good on the intake manifold, the distriduter should swap out too right?

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The Magmuin heads began in the early 90s, about 92-93. The intake bolt holes are in the same location, but at a different angle then the pre magnium heads, but there is a tool available to change the bolt angle in the older manifolds to work on the magnium heads. The magnium exhaust maniflolds are much better flowing then any older Mopar small block exhaust manifolds, and I believe the mounting flanges are different, so changing exhaust manifolds is a different story then changing intakes. If it is a pre magnium fuel injected engine, it is a throttle body and a carb and electronic ignition will bolt on. Gene

6. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Late 80's 318 will be a roller cammed LA head engine. Any old LA 318/340/360 will work. Distributor swap should be easy. By the way, it's not that the magnum exhaust manifolds flow better, it's the exhaust ports that flow much better. Mounting flanges are the same. Just got done putting '94 magnum heads on my '74 360.

7. special-k

special-k

The pre magnum Dodge were dogs for power. If you're going though it it's no big deal but if you're just throwing it in you'll be disappointed. I think my 82 had 130 hp. My 94 V-8 Dakota has awesome power and good fuel mileage(23mpg highway) never missed a beat in 15 years.

8. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

There are some intakes that are made to fit either the Magnum or the earlier 318s. I would use a Mopar Performance either way. (old or new) The Magnum heads are far superior to the earlier ones. You have to go all the way back tho the x heads on the 340s to find any decent ones for performance. I have three Magnum engines complete with the MPI and computers/harnesses. All have about 100K miles on them. I gave under $500.00 each. Don't overspend on the early ones. The magnums are still plenty cheap. My 2 cents.

9. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

ya im not really looking for big horse power on this car, its going to be my daily driver so im ok with low horse power, im just not big on computers thats why i want to swap it over to a carb. that and i just think fuel injection looks goofy for the most part on older cars. im getting the motor and trans for 150 bucks with the computer and all the guy said the motor and traney only have 50k on them im gonna pop the heads off before i put it in but if all looks good then thats all im gonna do becides clean it up and paint it.
    o-and im 99% sure but 273 headers should fit right? im gonna have problems getting the exhaust around the steering box and the valiant exhaust manifolds were built around the steering box so it will clear

10. 94-dakota-nut

94-dakota-nut
    from U.S.A.

Hey Guys. I got a 1994 Dodge Dakota with a 318 magnum V8 and long term goal with this truck is to swap the fuel injected engine to carb and then get rid off the computer completely. so can i swap it to carb or no? :confused: and im wantin ti take a bench seat from an '86 Dodge and put it my truck! Y'all think that that is possible?

Thanks Guys! :):)

11. 94-dakota-nut

94-dakota-nut
    from U.S.A.

oh and rhd! the 273 headers should fit but dont take my word for it!