Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Nov 10, 2013.

1. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

I am also working on a similar build and will be looking foward to see your progress! Looking great so far!

2. Very nice build and I too have a liking for the Model A trucks. Two things though if I may say and ,yes, it is your project, but please don't put a '32 grille shell on it and if it is to be a daily driver or a vehicle you wish to travel any sort distance in, please have another look at the roof chop as you may regret taking such a big slice out of it. Why I mention it is that I have a friend who has a '33 Pickup that is channeled with a top chop and there is no way I could drive it as I can't get my foot up onto the clutch pedal.

3. Pete

Pete

Mike,

Don't do a ridiculous Z....a hard chop with some leaves removed and it will look awesome.

4. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah I think I'm gonna start at 4in and see how I like it! The z is just to make it level. It should sit pretty close to where it Is now. I assure everyone this will not be some ridiculous rat rod abortion haha I've got a bunch of pictures saved on my computer of the look I'm going after so maybe ill post some later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kdearing likes this.
  5. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I've seen on here where guys say there isn't much room in the pickups, your already channeled and your going to lower the lid,i would (i know who gives a shit)get your seat in there to make sure your comfortable ,my coupe has a 4in chop and its tight ,I'm seriously thinking about removing the package tray and move the seats back a option you don't have.As you get older comfort becomes a issue:eek:---Jack the old fart;)

6. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Looking good man. Is this your first chop?

All new to me as we'll, just trying to learn as much as i can before I get my coupe.

How was your experience at Rufus ranch? They have a model a I'm interested in checking out. Thanks dude

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Comin along nice

8. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Heck ya love the flathead... looks like a great start.. keep up the good work..

9. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Here's my old A pickup, 4" chop, 3" channel to give ya an idea. It was snug, especially since I'm 6' 2". They are a lot of fun!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391357242.090438.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

What type of seat are you running? I was either going to build mine or get a bomber style or old bench. I plan on dropping my floor down in between the frame rails to get some more room and so the seat wouldn't be right on the floor.

Yup it'll be my first chop! It seems to be pretty strait forward and I have a few buddies who have done it before. I'll definitely post some pictures when I take that on!

Rufus ranch was amazing! Super super nice people to deal with and the prices are really fair. The cab was in excellent shape and he even loaded it on my trailer for me. He's got a pretty neat 28-29 hotrod pickup you should have him show you! The guy has so much stuff that's not even on his site, so I'm sure you'll find other stuff you'll need as well.

Hell yeah! I've seen a few pictures of it before and its killer! I always really liked the stance of it. Do you have any pictures of the rear setup? 4" chops actually look pretty good. You guys are making me change my mind now...haha

11. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

The rear was just a banjo, reverse eyed transverse spring, frame was z'd about 4", basically cut behind the cab and the btm flange of the rear section welded to the top of the fwd section then triangle gussets in top fwd corner and bottom back corner to reinf.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I wish i could tell ya defiantly,i saw the car on flea bay and told the wife i had to have it,it looks to have been built in the early 50's by the patina, and whats left of the paint and the workmanship. It's all original full fender, 4 banger 4in chop , 19'' wheels,the interior was done in some kind of vinyl, the seats( look to be) from 30's a two door sedan ,from the floor to the top of the seat cushion is 10 1/2 in.-- sorry i couldn't help with a more diffident answer--Jack

13. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

No worries man! I'll have to measure my cab to see what I can fit in there. These are things that I haven't even thought about, glad you mentioned it!

14. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

A lot of guys are using the center seat out of Dodge minivans ;)

15. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah I've also seen people do that. We'll see I guess haha

Ok guys I have a couple questions here. First I think I have my cab too far forward. I believe its 29" from the center of the crossmember to the base of the firewall. I read some place it should be about 32", but I want to keep everything really tight up front. Does 32" sound about right?

Also I've been thinking about how I'm going to setup my rearend. I was going to use pete and jakes ladder bars, but I'm thinking differently now for a couple of reasons. First being their so generic and everyone uses them. Second I want to stay pretty traditional, so I was thinking about using 36 bones in the rear with a panhard bar. I really like the way they look split, and sitting on the outside of the frame. I've heard mixed reviews about this and I've been doing a bunch of research the last couple of nights. so I'm wondering really if its safe. I've built and had a couple bagged trucks so I'm fairly familiar with suspension geometry and how it works. If I make the rear bones pivot on the rear end also I think that would work well.

Any help is always appreciated!

16. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I don't know if the truck and a coupe are the same but mine is 29'' from the center rivet of the crossmember to the fire wall. I was waiting to see if someone with a truck would help but apparently you must have Pissed in someones Cheerioes:rolleyes:

17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I can't see the centre rivet of my cross member, but my 31 pickup appears to be 30" from the radiator mounting holes to the front of the cab.

Let me know if this doesn't help, and I will try a bit harder to see the rivet.

18. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Haha yeah no kidding! I don't know if they're the same but that's about where I have mine and I like it. Thanks!

Yeah that's where I put mine and I like it about there. Thanks for the help!

19. Machspeed@sbcglobal.net

[email protected]

I do'nt know how tall you are, but be careful chopping and channeling a model a pickup. If you just put a dropped front axle and big and littles, it will give you a great stance.

20. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Mike, what are are you going to run for radiator and shell,are you going to run a hood?,i think the 32 commercial is the nicest but 28 through 34(i think) will all work

21. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

looks sweet man great progress, why wont the transmission work for you looks like the shifter is in a decent location

bako48 likes this.
  22. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

I'm about 5'10" and Im gonna try to make it where my floor drops down a little so I can run at least a 4" chop.

No hood on this one! I'm thinking about running a 32 shell or maybe a 31 I'm not exactly sure yet. I've been trying to find an inexpensive brass chopped radiator but I don't believe they exist! haha

The shifter on this trans is pretty much right where my right leg needs to be, so I won't have room between my steering column and the shifter. I also was going to run a 4 or even a 5 speed for the overdrive.

23. Grudge

Grudge

Cool project, coming along nicely. I'm building a 30 if you want some ideas.

Aaron

24. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks man! I've actually been looking at yours a lot. My goal is to build something pretty similar so it's really helpful. Your exhaust is killer too!

25. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I used a Uniball to tie my rear radius rods together on a small crossmember. Have a look at me build thread. Might give you some ideas for yours.

26. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Any updates? I like looking at pictures ahaha

27. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Only pictures is probably of snow;),Hell were getting another round this week end:mad:

28. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Haven't been working on it too much. Trying save money for parts and paying off student loans is challenging haha I might get my rear end shortened this week so I can get rolling on the rear setup shortly. I guess I'm gonna run the p&j ladder bars so it's nice and safe and I can beat on it a little without worrying.

That's for sure! We got a couple inches last night, I don't think it'll ever end!

29. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Dropped my rear end off today to get it centered up! Now I just gotta save a little more money to buy my ladder bars and some rear tires and I'll be close to having a roller! Does anyone know any good threads or information on putting a '32 rear crossmember in an A frame? Or possibly a '40 crossmember, because I'm using a '40 front spring for my rear spring.

30. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Oops my bad I'm dyslexic I only found info on 32 frames with model a rear crossmember. Haha ignore this post.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014