Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 on 3 speed tranny?will it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Nov 23, 2003.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer Member

I have a 68 302 and i have a 62 comet. Would the 302 bolt onto the stock 3 speed tranny. What should i use for motor mounts since the car is unibody? Thanks Nate
  2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin Member

Not sure which transmission you have...... The 302 will bolt to the toploader three speed using all factory parts. The three speed that came with your early six is probably not a good choice. The little Falcons and Comets from the early years can get a V8 with parts from the slightly later ones ('63-65). Several of the outfits that supply restoration parts are sure to have this stuff at a reasonable price.
  3. desertratrodder

desertratrodder Member

If your car is original, and it has either the 6 or the early 260, then, no it wont. The 6 trans bell housing is too small, the 8 is a 5 bolt block, Your 68 motor takes a 6 bolt bell housing. The early Falcon/ Comet 3 spd is a POS anyway. Put a toploader or T-10 4 speed. They go around 300 bucks, I've bought them for less. DRR
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod Member

Your best bet is to get a bellhousing and trans to fit the engine, and stick in the hole.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. desertratrodder

desertratrodder Member

Oh, I forgot about the mounts..The V8 cars have a 3 piece mount that is all bolt on, no hack and splice. Only for the small block though. There are outfits that make them for big blocks as well. All the Falcon Repro joints sell them, I have some, or go on egay. [​IMG]
  6. kustumizer

kustumizer Member

Koool thanks guys!
  7. burndup

burndup Member

My '69 mustang came stock with a 302 and a 3-spd
  8. Nick32vic

Nick32vic Member

I doubt im of any help, but i put some late model ford ranger 3spd w/overdrive on my 68 302
  9. du$ty

du$ty Member

maybe a maverick...some of those later sycro 3spds are pretty good.id say do some measuring.if its too much work .. fuck it put in a t5.