Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Roadster - AV8 Ongoing Progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wagoon78, May 19, 2015.

1. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Starting a thread not as a build thread, but as a place to document my progress to help keep me motivated. I bought this complete 1930 roadster in the fall. Been picking at it over the past few months doing what I can, picking up some parts, getting some work done by others. 59ab flathead with some speed parts, 39 trans, stock model a rear. 16" KH bent spokes. Chopped top and windshield and fancy interior

I fell in love with the overall look of the car and the reason why I bought it, but some of the mechanical things I felt could improve upon. Nothing against the original builder or previous owner, just making mechanical upgrades to suit my tastes as time and money allow. I do what I can and call in the ringers when needed.

How she looked when I bought it. Will follow up on the thread with changes made so far.

30 roadster.jpg 30 roadster1.jpg
    interior.jpg engine.jpg

2. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great. What a nice starting point!

Stogy likes this.
  3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

It don't get any better than that. Gorgeous.

Stogy likes this.
  4. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice looking roadster.
    What changes do you have in mind?

Stogy and 1-SHOT like this.

5. Very nice. I think the only change it needs is the odometer needs a higher number

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one spot on roadster. A round of applause to who ever did the top on it too as that is spot on for a great looking top setup.

7. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Its is really nice in person. Saw it at trog and this past weekend at the showdown. It has a lot of presence to it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

wow....just wow!

Stogy likes this.
  9. brady1929

brady1929

I don't think i would change anything on that hot rod. Looks awesome.

10. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought the car for the look. Not changing that at all. Top and splash aprons sold me on the car.

So I got the car a week or so before trog. Yellow wheels and trim rings attracted my eye too much so I painted the rims black and put the trim rings on the shelf.

Same but different

image.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Never2low, Stogy, hfh and 3 others like this.
  11. Paint the wheels yellow again and put the trim rings back on!!

12. Fucking hell, i love this car. Easily one of the best i've seen in a LONG time.

What is that top? Is it a cut down original? Or a home made? I have a similar height and lean windscreen on my roadster and i'm hoping for the same look as this.

Stogy likes this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I also liked the yellow wheels, but it is your car, so do with it as you please. By the way, very nice roadster.

14. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Great looking car have fun with it.

15. Can't. Eat a Traditional roadster! You lucky bastard!!!!

16. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the fall brought the roadster and sedan down to The Race of Gentlemen. Had a great weekend but the car just wasn't running right. Valves were real loud and it had no power. Got home and started looking into it. Car came with Harman Collins dual coil distributor and was only firing half the cylinders. Tested the coils and condensers by switching them between sides but the miss was consistent. Got into it and the rotor and cap were shot. Vintage "speed" parts make the car slow when they are broken.

engine.JPG rotor.jpg cap.jpg

17. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ordered up a GMC Bubba rebuilt stock distributor. Put it in, changed the firing order back to stock and she fired right up and was much better. Has plenty of power and I think the noisy valves were due to the cylinders not firing. When I have all the parts to rebuild the Harman Collins, it will be going out to Bubba for a full rebuild. I have his distributors in both my cars and couldn't be happier with his products. Sorry, no photos of it, I was too excited when it got here that I put it right in.

After putting in a few miles before the winter, I decided the stock Model A steering box and brake linkage to the master cylinder could use some improvement. New steering box ordered from NealinCA and he recommended a 37 Plymouth box since I was tight on space and he had one ready to be rebuilt. Also ordered Cling's master cylinder kit to improve the stopping power.

A few other things I had on the shelf that I was going to put in the sedan were now going to go on the roadster and I picked up a few more parts.

parts.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Stogy, hfh, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  18. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Great car! Are you using the stock fuel tank?

19. Love that Roadster!

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

YOUGOTHATRIGHT28A
    Ok, I'll just say it, I'm a deuce whore, and I've never been accused of lov'n 30/31's but that thing just has a timeless look to it.
    Is it the frame aprons, is it the top, is it the 28/29 grille shell, I can't say for sure, probably all of it, but it is the first A with stock frame rails that has ever really blown my dress up.
    My hats off to two people; the original builder and to the owner for what he has planned for the car, and unlike the trend of slathering old hot rods with a bunch of period correct aftermarket doodads; I'll bet Wagoon78 will know just when to stop, but who am I to say.
    Now I know it will be hidden out of sight but the one thing that I can't warm up to though is the alum./plastic master cylinder. because if there ever was a car that needs just the right parts to be perfect this is the one.
    Tradition Police warning:
    Would it sound too pretentious to ask the owner to consider a m/c that will get him to his goal of improving the brakes and still maintain what I feel is a perfect old hot rod?
    And to the wheels; they could be painted titty pink and I would still love this car,
    (please don't though).
    Right on man.

Stogy, 40fordtudor and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Love the car! what size/brand rear tire is that?

22. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer some of the questions:

It's ok if you guys liked the yellow wheels, I like em black. To each their own.

Top looks to be original frame and top just cut cut down and modified. Still folds down and interior is roomier than it looks. It helps that I am vertically challenged.

Still running the stock fuel tank. Prefer that to filling the trunk with a tank.

I was on the fence about the master cylinder upgrade but stopping is very important to me. I drive defensively, but you never know. You wouldn't even know it was there if I didn't post a photo of it. It's already installed and working great so it will stay. My wife and kids like when I make it home.

Rear tires are cheapo 7.50x16 bias trailer tires. Nanco I believe. Look good to me but feel real stiff. Would love to swap out for excelsior comp v 7.50x16 if anyone has a pair laying around they would sell. Fighting a rear wheel hop at around 60mph so I will be messing with the tires in the near future. Going to swap out the rims/tires from my sedan to if it fixes the wheel hop and to see what it looks like. Sedan has 7.0x16 firestone rears but I like the 7.50 on the roadster.

Photo of the pair of them. Removed the hula girl and added a radiator cap to fill the hole in the grill shell after this photo.
    [​IMG]

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I hear ya, great answer btw, totally accurate and justifiable(not that you need to).
    I will preface my former and current statements by acknowledging that my car would not even get through the first phase of an inspection by the Tradition Police.
    The reason(I think) that I mentioned it is that this thing is almost like a time capsule, even after your planned mods, I just thought that someday, someone is going to unearth this car and the only thing that will date it is the m/c.
    Love the car either way(99.999%)

Stogy likes this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Only thing you need to change with that roadster is the OIL once in awhile- what a beauty! And I love the roof racks on the Sedan!! ( Surfer or carpenter??)

Stogy likes this.
  25. Great car, saw it at the suede palace years ago... Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Stogy likes this.
  26. Drive'em

Drive'em

Ok,I'm biased, I love 28-29's, but this little beauty really turns my crank!!

tdog and Stogy like this.
  27. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Wow! What a perfect roadster. It's going to look really neat with that quickie hangin out the back. Love those aristocrat gauge panels. Doesn't get any better than this boys.

Stogy likes this.
  28. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

Paint your way but keep the interior! I really like the tough little roadster.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Get ready for some '28-'31 Hiboys with side aprons, guys. This cool 'A' could start a trend!
    Top is knocked out...Very rare to see one so 'Right'!
    My V8 wire wheels are black with black tires & '34 caps...no beauty rings...so I was stoked to see a Jersey kid go all Calif.! Looks gooood...

Stogy likes this.
  30. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Nice roadster Pat. How did it drive going out to the Showdown?

I took mine to the Wilmo a Go Go last week. It ran like a champ.