Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 RPU frame painted and rolled outside fro first time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bondo Slinger, Sep 1, 2014.

1. I started building this car about eight years ago but kids and starting a business has made progress intermittent. In fact when I started my business I took a 4 1/2 year break from it.
    But I'm going hard on it again now. Most of the fabrication was done in the 14x16 garden shed at my old house. Frame is based on an original model A. No kicks. Leafs over rails. It has an all mopar drive train. '36 plymouth front axle, '66 charger rear end, '54 dodge red ram 241 hemi and 904. It was supposed to have a four speed but I couldn't for the life of me fit three pedals. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Stogy, Okie Pete, deadbeat and 3 others like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

the only cars like that are ratrods

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

under slung race car inspired? wondering..... in an emergency braking incident,maybe on a rough road, what stops the frame horns digging in?

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I like the gold wheels. :)

Don

volvobrynk likes this.

5. clem

clem

Different with some interesting fabrication techniques. Just a thought.... I always thought that tube axle should only be located with parallel 4 bars, but I may be wrong. Others may comment.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just what the world needs, another dangerous belly dragging rat rod. :D

loudbang likes this.
  7. I like the last pic. Just tell the kid to hold the steering wheel a bit lower when he pretends to drive :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

clem likes this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Neat engineering on the underslung supension, but once the weight of the hemi engine is on it, won't the whole frame be below the scrub line?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Morgans, right up to today, have underslung rear axles.

Lots of cars with underslung front suspension too.

AHotRod likes this.
  10. In the real "old" old days many underslung cars had their frames flipped.
    Then you wouldn't dig in, you would slide along!

11. Btw Love the gold! IMG_1500.jpg

Lil'Alb, volvobrynk, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Scrub line ? He will probably ask "What the hell is a scrub line"
    Exactly why the term dangerous fits right in.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Well, it seems that you've made a commitment to the direction this build is going to take. Any time part gets paint it usually means it's done. It will be interesting to see this come together as the initial stages ARE a bit out of the norm. Be prepared to take some flack (you might already note) but these guys are first and for most interested in helping you do a SAFE build. Keep us updated on any progress.

Frank

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Wow. Never thought I'd be accused of being a rat rodder! But I suppose given the photos you have to work with and the fact that you don't really know me I could maybe see where you guys are coming from. But please be assured this won't be "another belly scraping rat rod"

I have considered all of the concerns mentioned already when I was doing all the initial fab work including using hair pins on a tube axle and the lack of a scrub line (Yes I know what that is).
    It may not be the most desirable setup as far as safety is concerned but I'm confident all will be well. BTW there is NOTHING that hangs below the frame. As for the frame horns I'm not convinced they will stay. The original plan was to bob them or flip them but I decided to keep me for a bit and see how the car develops. I'm not to worried about the paint as I own a body shop.
    I'm not even sure I'm going to keep it black!

But thanks for all the replies fella. Good and bad.
    -Ish

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  15. Oh and here's the engine. image.jpg

Lil'Alb, Stogy, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

We can stay tuned to see if our fears are unfounded. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Even if nothing hangs below the frame it looks under the scrub line to me

loudbang likes this.
  18. bct

bct

lookin good ryan . I bet it was a good time fabbing it up.

19. henry29

henry29

Do you have any pics before it was pulled apart for paint?

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmm...... Something's not quite right, but I can't put my finger on it.

21. Mk1ofMnM

Mk1ofMnM

I really like the color of the wheels. Is it a custom color or just something off the shelf?

22. bct

bct

what steering arms are you going to use? im at a similar place with my wavy tube with side steer . the 3/8" backing plate holes at the top of the spindle make me nervous about a hoop style steering thing. disregard if you are going cross steer.

23. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

nice hemi bondo!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Interesting build, can't see it being drivable. Way too low even without the Hemi, if it isn't on the ground it will be on the first big bump.

25. Hey Model A Gomez,
    A simple problem solved simply!
    If it sits too low get bigger diameter tires,
    Easy!

26. exactly! I've thought about going to a 20" artillery style wheel or milk truck wheel. We'll see. There's nothing that's done to this car that can't be undone.
    I don't think it's as low as maybe it looks in the pic although I'm sure you're right it will probably drag over some larger speed bumps but I'm not really worried about a couple scratches on the bottom of the frame.
    it was just an old color chip that was laying around the shop. Sorry I couldn't tell you what it is. Could maybe scan it and make a code if you're interested though.
    thanks man!
    I've got pics scattered all over. Most on my old computer. I should dig 'em out.
    I'm using the stock plymouth arms and cowl steering. I modified the drivers side arm and made my own "hoop" so to speak. I'll be sure to post pics as reassembly continues.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm interested in seeing your progress, underslung chassis designs are vintage and were used in lots of race cars too.

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Pete

Pete

Is that a heim joint as a spring perch? And is it going thru the hair pin plate?

What are the blocks of wood doing between the perches and frame?

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Makes for a hell of a show car Ish! But it is going to be awful hard to sneak that one past the cops...

30. chrisp

chrisp

Indeed it does look like a Heim joint going through the hairpin plate. Never seen such a set up and I'm not sold on this, maybe someone can explain?
    The wood blocks are there to prevent the frame from hitting the spring since there is no engine weight.