Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 1957 Nationals - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 14, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. wow

and the neat ol pickups in the background ... were nearly new!

""WHAT ME WORRY?"... A. E. N. on the chev fordor

3. stan292

stan292

You're right Ryan - these photos are beyond words. Thanks for both posts. Amazing stuff.

Anyone have more on the "Golden Rod" and it's ultra-snarky "Merc-a-mino" push truck?

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its interesting that trophies were not looked upon with a jaundiced eye back then.
    Nearly every one of these historical posts has a shot of a tableful of trophies.
    I know its not a popular point of view here, with terms like "trophy whore" thrown about regularly, but it is exciting to win a trophy.
    Its just an nice nod for a job well done....and, looking at these old pictures, it might even be considered traditional.

5. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

How cool ! Those were the days ! A guy with good job could build a car and be competative at a NHRA event.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Sometimes I think I was born too late................

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have the program from the 57 Nats ......it's cool.

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Those are great! It's really neat how seeing that footage sparked Mr. Arnold to dig these pictures out for all to see!

I lived in OKC for a short while and I remember trying to figure out where the track had been. Going to the fair grounds now you'd never know they ever raced there at all.

Thanks Ryan.

9. Lost1

Lost1

Awsome pics! :eek:

Thanks for sharing Milton.

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

I love the gospel truth I find in old photos. Keep 'em comin'.

11. How popular was it to have A.E.N. or 'What me Worry' on your car... A late friend of mine from WA and then CA had it on just about everything he owned... Last thing he had it on was the hood of a Corvair he name "Alf". He was a Chevy guy through and through... hmmm.

12. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

The old photos are great. There's got to be one or two of those drag cars rat holed away somewhere in TX. Let's find "em! The Monticlairo is cool.

13. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

Killer!!!!!!:d

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too cool !!!

15. talltexan55

talltexan55
    from Tyler, TX

ebbspeed,
    I recently saw one of the Scorpions at a car show in Tyler. I'm like you there has to be some of the old rods around. I spent many a Saturday and Sunday at the Caddo Mills drag strip. Saw the one of the Scorpions veer off at the end, hit a timing lite and roll several time. I sheared off the carbs down flush with the blower. The driver lost about a 10" strip of skin from his elbow, but walked away.
    Talltexan55

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome!! Thanks Milton and Ryan!!

Ok, who else was there and has pics? More, more, more, I need more.....ok, that was a bit whinny, sorry.

17. Seeing the Scorpion in those pictures from back in the day really drives home how cool it was to see it run in person at Mokan a couple years ago. Wow!! What a cool car.

I love those polished moon discs on the roadster. Those look great! I 've never seen that.

The paint work on the back of that Chevy is awesome. Thanks for sharing!!

18. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Just WOW. Another awesome set of pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Mike

19. Not being too modest,,That flame job on 52 Olds push car for Scorpion 1..done
    by none other that yours truly...First flame job in Dallas,patterned after the famous Bob McCoy 40 Ford....
    We had a ball with that Olds....

20. autobilly

autobilly

Great photo's. The Creeper and the Scorpion look tuff. Nice to see the push cars.
    Wbrw32, you're a kool (grand)daddyo.

21. Wesley

Wesley

from the days when the HR in NHRA actually stood for Hot Rod! way cool

22. Thanks,Autobilly,75 and still goin strong!!!!!

23. Herdez

Herdez

Buck And Bohls owned 2 roadsters the yellow 186 and then the red 444 later on. Photos are from 1957 and 1958 59

The Photos I have were taken by Howard Deshazo (NHRA advisor) for the west Texas region Big Spring Texas in the 50's. Theres more at his sight from that Sept. 1957 event -never before seen photos. Another great guy to read about who was there with a "mobile" Chrondek Timing trailer first of its kind.

http://www.hdeshazo.com/planes2/planes_pg_002_new.htm

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Would anyone have any other pictures of Don Person's "Top Hat" A/Altered Coupe from Longview Texas?

This is the only picture I have found so far.

Attached Files: