Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chaparral 2E Sounds Off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I love that big V8 sound! No wimpy, 4 valve per cylinders, cam belts, or electronic engine management. A true race car.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

that does sound very nice indeed.

4. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Ahh YES, I love that hollow roar.

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Those Can-Am cars had hair on their chests, for sure.

6. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I worked for Interscope racing back in the early 80s and we ran several Lola T600 GTP cars in the IMSA series and they had Ryan Falconer 355 small blocks. Lucas injection with 2 1/2 inch butterflies, Chevrolet alum heads, roller cams etc. all the good shit. We usually had about 6 of them either being rebuilt or in the truck for spares. They made about 600 hp and were like the Chaparral, they would rev instantly! Red lined at 8500 and they were really fun to start. The owner of the team, Ted Field would usually wing them to 10,000 when he started them! We always made sure they were good and warm before we let Ted start them! Fantastic sound and would really make your hair stand on end when you winged the throttles. Great times!

Pic attached.

Rex

Attached Files:

7. I didn't get a pic of it,but there was a McClaran(????) at the Lee Rocker show last night. It's street legal! He fired it up and left,cause it has no headlights. It was starting to get dark.

8. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Jim Hall is one of the greatest engineers of our time. Thankfully he is still around and gives a couple of really great talks every year
    Here are a few pictures from my last visit to the petroleum museum in midland
    Heres the 66 car without some of the bodywork
    If I recall correctly the spoiler was adjustable from in the cockpit and all of the transmissions in his cars were automatic transaxles

Attached Files:

9. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I don't think all of them were automatics. I know the reason for the 2E being automatic was that the 3rd pedal on the floor controlled the inclination of the wing.

10. I was under the impression that the 2E had a 7 litre Chevrolet in it.As I recall the Can Am formula was for up to 7 litres. I used to letter race cars for Autodynamics back in the late 60's-early 70's and they had two Can Am cars there:a Caldwell and a Lola T160 which had a TraCo prepared ZL-1 engine.

If I remember right the automatic trans in the Chaparral was a modified PowerGlide incorporated into a transaxle.

11. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Ive been to the test track thats down the road from the museum and the few times ive been the gate has been open so the wife and I wander around.
    here are a few more from the museum

Attached Files:

12. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I just looked it up and you are correct, I stand corrected. In 64 they went to autos. A one speed in the summer of 64, 2 speed in fall of 64, and later a 3 speed. The 2E had an aluminum 327.

13. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Wow, i had a lot of 327's but they never sounded like that! Man wouldn't you like to take it for just one spin around the track!

14. Greybeard

Greybeard

I just tried googling for a reference, but couldn't find the article that Peter Egan of R&T wrote about these cars within the last eight years. He began with a recollection of climbing thru the fence at Elkhart as kid tp see the car close-up, and ended in an interview with Hall, both supporting and dispelling myths that surround these great cars. I remember following CanAm in the early days, and when Sharp and Hall started winning, rumors of flew - everything from having top secret military backing to alien technology - that a couple guys from Texas (along the lines of Shelby...) couldn't possibly build anything this fast...
    In Egans article, Hall spoke about the different automatics, wings and ducted fans.

15. TRuss

TRuss

There were no displacement limits in CanAm. I believe in the early 70s some cars were even approaching eight unrestricted liters displacement. Unfortunately we will never see a racing series like CanAm again. I'm just being realistic. A modern unrestricted car would probably be prohibitively violent to even the best drivers and the spectators would be in far too much danger. This is why I love vintage racing. I need a sound card bad!

16. Is the track the old rattlesnake raceway, or is this a new test track?

17. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Ford experimented with some all aluminum 494 cubic inch Boss engines for Can-Am. They dropped the racing program before the engines got to the track. Some ended up in Pro-Stock cars in the 70's.

18. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Vintage racing is the place to see all the "ole great cars".
    Have been at Thunderhill and Laguna Seca during some of the vintage racing, and those CanAm/TransAm cars are fantastic, you can just close your eyes smell the racing fuel and listen to those SBC/BBC roar!
    In Northern California we had/have Joe Huffaker. Here is a picture of the Last Huffaker Genie made (he made 13/16) and they were a handful. SBC with 4 webers putting down 500HP with top speed north of 180. This car was restored by Allen Prentis and still races in the vintage classes...................and does it sound great!

Attached Files:

19. Bodacious

Bodacious

Great sound. I got to see and hear a vintage Can-Am car run at VIR a few years ago during a vintage sports car weekend. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't a Chaparral, I'd have remembered that. It did have the big, injected Chevy though and listening to it at speed on the track was great. He wasn't pussy-footing it either and it was by far the most bad-ass car there all weekend. It reminded me of listening to the injected big-block super-modifieds at Sandusky Speedway in Ohio and Winchester Speedway in Indiana back in the 80s when I lived up that way.

20. Chuck R

Chuck R

My dad took me to the Can Am races every year at Laguna Seca during the mid 60's to early seventies. Sitting on top of the hill by the cork screw was one of the most memorable things of my life. These big block machines would crest the hill and nail it, there would be 30 cars in the field and the sound was music to your ears. They would be on the gas all the way down the hill and the sound would reverbrate in the hills. Awesome !!! Chaparrals, Maclarens, Lolas, Chaparrels , life was good. Always had a dream I would own one, maybe in my next life, at least I got to see them run in the hayday of racing.
    chuck

21. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

hey chainsaw
    its the rattlesnake ranch
    you can see it on a googlemap if you type "chaparral cars inc"

22. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

I, like copshopcoupe, saw the 69- 70 can am races at Laguna Seca. You're right, they were running aluminum big blocks. At the one race, had those tall calliope injectors. Remember the last turn befor the grandstand straight, coming of the corner, one drag race after another. And the sound, WOW. They were racing the big turbo flat 8 porsche 977, popping between shifts. I think the porsche won that one. Oh well. Did that vacuum cleaner come later?
    One thing, those winged cars really stood out.
    Nice memories, OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

23. TRuss

TRuss

I think the 2J "sucker car" debuted in 1970. I'm not positive though. As for the Porsches I believe you are thinking of the 917-10 and later the the 917-30. This is the car that is credited for killing the series. They were powered by a turbocharged five liter flat 12 that made over 1200hp in qualifying trim. The writing was on the wall as they say.

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

completely off topic, but, has any one else noticed that every time Ryan sends us a video on Youtube, all the videos in the menu around it typically kick ass as well? the one labeled The Monster of Lancia Stratos is bitchin', too. The Chaparral drive by videos are killin it, and the one of the exhaust from behind made my pants happy.

Keep it up, Ryan. I don't have all the time in the world to kill, but when I do, you always deliver.

25. TRuss

TRuss

Damn I need a sound card!

26. Winfield

Winfield

Every year I go to the vintage races at Seattle. For anyone that hasn't gone to a vintage race, you should really try to take one in. To A Chopped Coupe, like your picture of the yellow Huffaker Genie. A friend of mine is just finishing up an aluminum sbc powered Genie, the ex Hilton Hotel sponsored car. It should be ready for this summer.

27. 4 port Riley

4 port Riley

Harry Miller and Jim Hall are/were the two greatest American race car builders of all time.....nobody is even close. I think the engine in the car was originally a 327 aluminum block with the famous 2 speed Chaparral transmission, I saw the car run in Las Vegas in November 1966. Jim Hall at that time was 32 years old...amazing

28. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My wife and I attended the Can Am renunion a few years ago at Road America, the sight and sound of 20plus Can Am cars on the track at one time is unforgetable.
    I worked Flagging and Communications during the Can Am races at BIR / Donntbroke in Brainerd Mn and the best corner to work was turn 1 - banked right hand turn at the end of the mile straight. Anda previos poster was right there will never be racing like that again.

jim h

29. The Vintage guys come here to California Speedway once a year and it is the best show! I love seeing all the old Trans Am cars and the old Indy Roadsters flying around the track. They had a car that was from the early 1900's that raced at Indy. The guy was driving it like there was a paycheck at the end...Maybe someday they will bring out the 956 Porsches or the LeMans Porsches.

30. There was another guy who built all his own cars that ran Cadillac engines. Can't think of his name!!!! Starts with a C.