Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 25 Things to Do Before You Die.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 9, 2017.

1. redo32

redo32

Wow, If I get credit for doing 135 at Richard Petty Driving School ( you only have to pay more to go faster) and get extra credit for going to the GNRS since '75 ( made a few since the move) and promoting the Eugene Autorama for 25 years with my car club. All I have left on your list is Hill Climb, (maybe this year), TROG, ( only been to New Jersey once, maybe they can work out a deal to continue West TROG) and Lone Star, ( been to Texas a couple of times to see the Ducks play and coming back from NSRA Louisville 25th).
    I'm lucky I've had 68 years to work on my list. I've been to the Daytona 500 and Bike Week, Sturgis a few times, Deuce Days Victoria, Pleasanton (many times), Bonneville (my '48 PU has rusty fenders to prove it).
    Things still on my list include Indy 500, Detroit Autorama, my wife wants to go to England ( maybe we can do it during Goodwood or Pendine), Pebble Beach (but that is spendy for one day). I always enjoy shop tours and for the '32 50th Anniversary GNRS we hit 13 shops in 3 days. I never seem to have a car together in the early spring, but maybe some day I can make Lake Havasu and Carolina Deuce Days.

2. Hot rod heroes... Norm Grabowski, Robert Williams, Brock Yates, Gene Winfield, Sterling Moss, Isky, Barris, probably a few I'm forgetting.

Bonneville... Passenger, not driver, but watching the sun rise over the salt is amazing.

Help build... Our club was built from helping each other out, it's a brotherhood first.

Build something yourself... Banging my head against a rusty shoebox for 6 or 7 years is a skill right?

Rebuild your own... Working on a flathead now, the trans is next.

Rumble seat... Better yet, ride in a '32 Ford Cabriolet rumble seat in Wendover UT.

Weld... The basic chords are easy, but it takes 10 years to learn to shred.

Race team... Swapped a motor on the Salt. Hang with the Southeast Gassers. Wish I could do more.

Kid for a ride... Need a running car for that, but I used to run kids around the block when I had a (non-HAMB-friendly )roadster. Teach kid to drive stick while you're at it.

GNRS... Detroit Autorama is a good time, but the GNRS is on the list.

SEMA... Not sure about SEMA...

Drive in movie... Go to a 72 hour sleepover hot rod party at a drive-in, in Atlanta in the middle of summer. Great way to impress your future wife. I miss the Drive-Invasion.

Track day... on the list.

Route 66… I've done a few chunks, need to do a LOT more. I can hear the highway calling my name.

Car show... Make sure you do it on the worst, coldest, wettest, freakiest weather day in the middle of summer in history. Me and the 6 other guys that showed up had a great time watching the bands that I paid for anyway.

Drive... 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor, a fancy 6-speed and an auto… on the same day. It's a good way to forget how to shift or stomp your foot on a non-existent clutch.

Hot Rod Hill Climb... Love to some day.

TROG... Last time I brought a camera, next time I'll bring a car.

Snow... Pfft… I'm Canadian.

The Roundup... Many times.

Dream car... This is tough one. Easy to say, hard to do. Everyone's reality is different.

150 miles per hour... I'm about 20± mph shy, for now.

Another country... Pretty much every event I go to is in another country, sometimes another continent. Come to Canada... the Jam Up is a good time, ask Mr. Norwell.

Try pinstriping... Then try to get good at it. Time I picked up the brushes again, I'm way out of practice.

Create something... I come from a family of artists, we don't know how to make money but we can make stuff. Posted in the FAS a bunch of times, see Pinstriping, above. I've been picking away at a simple book for a decade, and kidding myself that I will write a hot rod novel… some day.

I think I'm doing ok.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

I only have enough energy left to do 2 things; learn to play guitar and get a new girlfriend.
    On second thought, the hell with the guitar!

Attached Files:

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Done a few..... not even close to all.

5. don daddyo

don daddyo

1- Met G.Barris ounce at Lead East Conn.. and couple more
    2-It's would be a dream just to be a spectator at Bonneville...Salts Flats...
    3-I'm still helping my friend Terry to build or rebuild is 54 Chevy pick-up for race track to Napierville Que Can,and did help a lot of my friend with there project and there rides .Let me tell you that, I do know what busted knuckles over a beer is.
    4-Theres me, who love building old cars,hot rods ,customs even bikes with my son,but every time I've built something do not know why ,but it's like there is always someone waiting at the garage door when the rough job is done and then they are buying it , with the only finishing job to do .
    5-I've rebuild a few engine for myself.
    6-Never try yet a rumble seat , but it's coming.
    7- I've learn to weld AC, MIG, but it is time for to learn TIG...
    8-Teaming with friend Terr... at a drag pick-up this summer.
    9-Euh! I am the oldest kid ,who got the ride with my friend ,cause I'm still not ready with mine.
    10-It will probably happen one of these day.
    11-I don't know about SEMA...
    12-Did it ,but never with my old car , always with some friend car
    13-I've got so much to see and do .
    14-Route 66 ,on my plan and to do list.
    15-It's quite a challenge around here.
    16-Some 8 flatheads,OHV...
    17- Not HRHC,but some thing around Ontario in August 2017 as a spectator again...
    18-I'm looking for TROG EAST this year for sure .
    19Some couple of times ,with my old 51 Ford pick-up.long time ago.
    20-Will see about that one.
    21-Still on to do list .
    22- Did this ,when young lot's of times.
    23-!!!
    24-Might try it someday for fun.
    25-Art ,would be something , but not there yet

I'm at eleven...in the slow lane ,but picking up some speed...

6. boutlaw

boutlaw

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....

chiro likes this.
  7. Done almost enough in my life to make me happy. Only one thing left to do, Haley Atwell!!:D

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

12 on the list have been done. A number of them will never happen. No plans to ever attend the mentioned shows.turn down SEMA every year as well as Bonneville. Have a hard time following the crowd. Rather go hunting for new tin or collections of "stuff ". Don't want to meet any of the old time hotrod icons either. Always thought it was kind of creepy asking questions or making comments those guys have heard a thousand times before.
    But that's just me. Nice list if your into lists.

9. 22 completed! I'm okay with that.

Binger likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have 13 and a half. Pretty good for being 43. Haven't driven all the engines in the list. Don't have a flathead V8. Have a project one. How about driving a car over 100 years old? Brass era cars are crazy. How about drive a model t? Several more are on the list. Need to get to the salt!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I've done all of them except #10,11,17&19. When I accomplish all of them can I die then?

12. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

13 at 26. I'm doing ok! Next on the list is GNRS or lone star round up for me!

Speed Gems likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Done 16 on your list, a little short on the speed, but the persuite of speed is no longer a need I have.
    The shows are probably not going to happen. I'd rather go for a ride then go to a big show. I've never been out of the USA, and it will probably stay that way. I'm not sure I could get into a rumble seat....
    My priority list is different then yours is. Spending time with my wife and family is more important then car stuff. Most of my family is into cars, so car stuff is just an excuse for us to spend time together. Gene

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I got 20 out of 25....
    The rumble seat is personal and a tough one to accomplish! My mom wouldn't let me do it when I was ten. She felt it was too dangerous. I am still PO'ed over it, even though it happened over 35 years ago! Boo!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. toml24

toml24

Done:
    #10, #11, #12, #23, and #25 (Authored and published a automotive nostalgia history book, and, helped a friend author and publish his own automotive history book).

16. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Great list!! Well, I'm not doing too bad, I got a 13!
    I would amend #9 - don't just take a kid for a ride, get his or hers hands dirty helping build your dream car or rebuilding an engine! There is nothing like hands-on learning!

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Nice list...Well, 16 is not too bad for an old guy. But that 150 speed number is not going to happen. Most guys look at their speedometers, our 58 Impala went up to 120 mph. It was pegged many times, but it only registered 98 mph in the 1/4 mile at Lions. So, as far as the speedo freaks are concerned, I went 120+ so to speak. The other 9 probably will not get done.
    Jnaki
    Once on a full bore accleration run, in a 911, the speedometer pegged at 150...but who knows how fast we were going.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've done 11, or 12 if you count Charlie Ryan of Hotrod Lincoln fame, Tuck, and Bob Bleed as heroes. Perhaps not pioneers but hot rod heroes in my mind. I'd like to meet Ryan one day.

19. klharper

klharper
    from Mebane NC

I am a Newbie here, and I am really a sports car guy and signed up to steal your ideas, I mean to learn new things. Actually this list proves I am a pretty hardcore gear head and scored 22 out of 25.
    Interesting ones
    #1 I have met Brock Yates, Zora Duntov, but my favorite is Pete Brock
    2 through 8 were easy to check off,
    #9 is important, my daughter just turned 15 and all her friends want me to teach them to drive a manual. Got to pass along the love
    #11 I am lacking and would like to do
    12 check #13 should be do a track day at least once a year. 14&15 check
    #16 is lacking as it should read drive all cylinders 2, 3, V4, I4, 5,V6, I6 V8 (OHV, Flat head, 4 cam), I8, 10, 12 and 16
    The 2 cylinder is what Carlo Abarth first started hot rodding in Italy and are still popular today. Straight 8's are interesting beast and I have driven a caddy with the v16, not very fast but checked it off, and i almost forgot a rotary with 1, 2, or 3 rotors
    #17 I have to modify I have done chimney rock and Mount washington
    #18 is a great event. my wife is from Jersey and when she want to visit the inlaws I make sure it is over this weekend
    #19 Yes!! most memorable is a Lancia Stratos Kit Car. 250HP in the snow through the woods at a rapid rate
    21 Check, For 22 Yes on both street and track, I have both the ticket and jail record to prove it. Done at the tender age of 16. A long time ago
    23-25 check but I am terrible at pinstripping
    #10 and #20 I haven't done and don't have an interest, Substitute going to Goodwood and Padua Italy vintage swap meet for me
    Some I would suggest for gear heads and not necessarily cars.
    Go to Baja as a spectator or better yet a participant
    Mods and rockers weekend, hotrods are generally welcome
    Isle of man TT just to prove to yourself that you are not that brave or stupid
    Power boat race. It is really cool to see 3 or 4 power boats scream by with each of them running 4 big Mercury's

Have a great day and interesting reading
    Kevin

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

No, once you complete his list
    you get to create your own list ;)

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And more but I don't want to boor you anymore.

Gary

DSCN3269.jpg IMG_0375.jpg DSCN0689.jpg SANY0049.jpg IMG_0132.jpg DSCN2587.jpg

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Although many of those items are cool, many are not even close to what I consider to be a bucket list.
    1. Visit my ancestors country and walk the streets of those villages.
    2. Visit Italy and Ireland and China and Washington DC.
    3. Experience NYC as a tourist.
    4. Drive the road along California's pacific coastline.
    5. Drive a sporty super car.
    6 walk on a glazier.
    7 fly in a jet fighter
    8 be around long enough to see the passing of my cars to those who will carry the tradition.
    Well all this should keep me busy.

In my old age...
    Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked.....
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do.....
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.