Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Got A Sweet Tooth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Rik's site is going to take a beating today! I've never seen that Chevy before. I need to get that book, that's the style I'll be building.

For some reason I've always liked The Maze. It's kinda nutty and over the top...

[​IMG]

3. DrJ

DrJ

That's gotta be THE RIGHT scallop paint job layout on a '56 Chevy (my favorite of the Tri 5's) that all the others are compared to.
    As is the way the panels are laid out on Watson's own T bird.
    Don Varner was all over the custom scene back then, a lot of times in the background supplying the ideas and preliminary drawings for other guys custom car restyling and paint and graphics.
    It was a good time to be a teen, growing up WITH this "candy".
    Thanks for the reminder, Ryan!
    I'm looking through that must have book again now.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You know I normally fall for subtlety when it comes to Custom colors. I always say the closer it is to black the more I will like it, but the wife but me book titled The History of Customs or something like that and the documenting of a bunch of cars from the 50's has really given me a whole new outlook on the bright and vivid colors that were used during that time and still today. Would that car that you posted Ryan fall into a "Wichita style" custom? I like how at this time the body modifications were strictly in the form of paint. It really was a new era for customs.

5. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

I feel a dentist appointment coming in the near future !

there is just something about the colors they used back then ! I love it !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RF

RF

Now I know why Larry stopped runnin' the Balboa variation and stuck with the trademark 'do with the styled beard as a distractor...that bald spot from Potter's shot isn't so flattering. Good thing his painting spoke louder than any bad hair day ever could.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

New build here, but done exactly right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably my favorite.

[​IMG]

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That Andy Southard book is one of my favorites.
    I can't tell you how many times I've thumbed through it for ideas and inspiration.

KIRK! was looking for some Watson style paint jobs a while back in this thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196090&showall=1
    There are a few great examples there, good color.

I posted these pics from the Southard book in that thread, also.
    Great stuff!

Watson's Caddy and the '56 Ford painted by Don Varner really look great - they just "do it" for me.

Malcolm

Attached Files:

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Also, anyone have pics of Andy Southard's '58 Impala?
    Another GREAT looking car!

Malcolm

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The opening picture to one of the chapters in the book "The American Custom Car" by Ganahl, has a shot of a show, full of mild customs in candy colors....no fancy panels or flames, just mild shaving, lowering and single color candy.......pure POPCICLE goodness.....

Always dug this candy dream......

Attached Files:

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Referring to colors in a tasteful way. hehe.............
    The Ice Blue colors always looked cool and refreshing on a hot summer day, think Impalas, etc........
    But a co-worker had an early 70's Pontiac Lemans that was a factory Caramel color. Yeah, I'd actually feel it when I saw it.

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I think he's got a flat-top haircut (like mine) cause my sister always mentions my 'bald spot' (not bald yet, damnit!)

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I think, sometimes, less is more.

14. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

giant juicy jiggling gobstoppers baby!!!

Attached Files:

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That was owned by Gerald Twamley and it was a 54 acording to one article.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photos from the Rikster site

16. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

SLAPSHOT ! wher'de you get those pics? Thats Dean Jefferies stripin', in a book I used to have (Still want) that had I think a Blue Buick on the cover and it had a whole chapter on him. Is that It ???

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

More specifically, Larry had a "flat-top with fenders". Pretty popular hairstyle at the time...still sweet today if you have enough hair to pull it off. :)

18. ahhh, absolute beauty!

19. mynameisnotpete,
    Thanks for the other pics/article on that '54. I really dig the style of it. Its got me thinking of some different avenues for my '54! Also, do you have a link to the "Rikster" site? I would love to check it out since I've never seen it, especially if its got more of the same!~mojodaddy

20. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

21. RF

RF

Yeah, aka a Balboa--flat-top with combed-back sides. All right, enough side-tracking this otherwise hip post. Back to the cavity-making material!

22. I had that book as a kid, and even though I later preferred them stripped down and fast, I must have looked through that book a thousand times. I wonder what happened to it? Need to look at Mom and Dads, or hit up Amazon.

23. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I always liked this one, the car is perfect and she is classy in my opinion!

Also taken from Riksters site.

[​IMG]

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Brent, I dig it but the bellflower pipes w/ the lake pipes is a bit much

and a redhead to boot... lucky SOB

25. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I love those cars too Ryan! I just can never create those kinds of paint jobs in my head or on paper. Love those Watson paint jobs too!

Here's a couple paint jobs I like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That Don Varner painted '56 is, by far, one of my favorites.

Watson has great style, so I'm not comparing the two, but, Varner did the tips on his graphics with a lot of style.

27. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

My fellow Punk Rod brother Jeff, did this fantastic blue on his '56 Ford. It can fool you into thinking it emits a cool breeze on a hot summer day. Candy is definately Dandy!!!!

[​IMG]

28. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

I really dig this thread. I am looking for for FADE-A-WAY "gene Winfield" paint jobs. Does anyone have pics that show a fade-a-way over a solid base color?

29. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Rob, you must be a youngun' as you don't know that any Balboa or flatop haircut left you with that distinct "bald spot" appearance. It was only because the hair in that particular spot was sooooooooo short, it made you look bald! Nowadays, we no longer need to sport a Balboa as we prefer the natural appearance of baldness. As they say, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!